The usage tiering system is suspect Topic

in the sim the 90s Bulls teams would perform better than a team full of all stars

I call (yet further) shenanigans
1/31/2011 9:17 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
shenanigans
2/1/2011 3:29 PM
Posted by felonius on 1/31/2011 9:17:00 AM (view original):
in the sim the 90s Bulls teams would perform better than a team full of all stars

I call (yet further) shenanigans
How do you figure that?
2/1/2011 5:26 PM
by playing in a series of high cap leagues that are being dominated by teams that have one or two main scorers and a bunch of utility guys - by studying how the usage tiering works and learning how to succeed in team building under the current system - by observation and experiment in other words
2/1/2011 5:32 PM
How many all-stars in NBA history have had a usage of less than 22.1%?
How many less than 17.5%?

If anybody who cares to do the math, I'll make a point.  That point will likely be something similar to what the felon is saying.
2/1/2011 7:13 PM
I HAVEN'T PLAYED IN A BASKETBALL SIMLEAGUE IN A WHILE. DO THE PLAYERS STILL RUN OUT OF GAS AND GET INJURED WHEN YOU HAVE A TEAM THAT DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH MINS? HAS ANYTHING CHANGED?
2/1/2011 10:23 PM
Posted by ashamael on 2/1/2011 7:13:00 PM (view original):

If anybody who cares to do the math, I'll make a point.  That point will likely be something similar to what the felon is saying.
An all-star with a usage of less than 17.5% is usually going to be a great rebounder and defensive player (Bill Russell, Dennis Rodman, Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, etc).  As long as you have enough usage% to avoid the team and individual penalties, it doesn't really matter how the points are divided among the team.  Two main scorers and the rest being role players is fine, but you can distribute the points more evenly and still build a title contender (although a high cap league, such as $57M, severely limits your options).
2/1/2011 11:10 PM
Posted by snydpie on 2/1/2011 10:23:00 PM (view original):
I HAVEN'T PLAYED IN A BASKETBALL SIMLEAGUE IN A WHILE. DO THE PLAYERS STILL RUN OUT OF GAS AND GET INJURED WHEN YOU HAVE A TEAM THAT DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH MINS? HAS ANYTHING CHANGED?
As long as you aren't using players that are less than 90%, you shouldn't worry about injuries.
2/1/2011 11:12 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 2/1/2011 11:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 2/1/2011 7:13:00 PM (view original):

An all-star with a usage of less than 17.5% is usually going to be a great rebounder and defensive player (Bill Russell, Dennis Rodman, Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, etc).  As long as you have enough usage% to avoid the team and individual penalties, it doesn't really matter how the points are divided among the team.  Two main scorers and the rest being role players is fine, but you can distribute the points more evenly and still build a title contender (although a high cap league, such as $57M, severely limits your options).
I agree to a point.
I also disagree to a point.

More on why later (tomorrow).
2/2/2011 5:10 AM
My feeling is this, but I could be wrong.  I have to believe Shaq is a better rebounder than his stats reflect.  I mean the guy could block out an entire team by himself.  But, his oreb% is lower because he took so many shots. Is that correct?  This is essentially a penalty in choosing shaq over ben wallace.
Also, the sim pretty much maxes out on asst% at 55-60%.  That seems suspect as great ball handlers improve the offense a lot.  Again, a penalty for choosing Bird over Peja.

2/2/2011 2:44 PM
Posted by badja on 2/2/2011 2:44:00 PM (view original):
My feeling is this, but I could be wrong.  I have to believe Shaq is a better rebounder than his stats reflect.  I mean the guy could block out an entire team by himself.  But, his oreb% is lower because he took so many shots. Is that correct?  This is essentially a penalty in choosing shaq over ben wallace.
Also, the sim pretty much maxes out on asst% at 55-60%.  That seems suspect as great ball handlers improve the offense a lot.  Again, a penalty for choosing Bird over Peja.

I believe your ast% numbers are off.  There has been a noticeable difference for me between 55% and 75% ast%.
2/2/2011 4:27 PM
Okay, back to earlier statement by nc... the only thing I disagreed with in your post was this:

"it doesn't really matter how the points are divided among the team."

Points... no.  But I want certain people to get more shots than others, so in an indirect way, yes.  Obviously, you want your highest usage guys to be people with good efg% and who gets to the line a lot... so if you have several high usage guys, you risk having someone take away possessions that you'd rather have going to someone else.  Unless, of course, all of your guys give you everything you want.  But with the salary system we have now, it's hard to do that since usage costs so much (as does efg% AND ts% [which reflects fta]).
2/2/2011 4:38 PM
Posted by ashamael on 2/2/2011 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by badja on 2/2/2011 2:44:00 PM (view original):

I believe your ast% numbers are off.  There has been a noticeable difference for me between 55% and 75% ast%.
having higher assist %s than god sure isnt helping my 80s team
2/2/2011 5:58 PM
Yeah usually what I see are a larger number of asst, but not higher shooting%.  Ash knows a lot more about the SIM particulars than me, but that's just my observation.
...and Ash you obliterated teams in the the last ODL with under 1800 assists drafted, no?!
2/2/2011 8:38 PM
12 Next ▸
The usage tiering system is suspect Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.