Amateur Draft Strategies??? Topic

Why do so many people go conservative with their drafting? Actually makes me feel good about going aggressive as I may get a lot of "less likely to sign" guys that everyone else is bypassing.
2/15/2017 4:25 PM
If you pick em in the suplamental round and they don't sign you are screwed. When I am rebuilding I will sign 'unsure' in the first round but when I'm going for it I run a tight ship and 6 mill on prospects is all I can afford.

Also, I want my Christmas presents now. Don't want to punt and have to wait till next season. Don't think I have ever had a type D pick.
2/15/2017 5:24 PM
Also don't forget "may sign if the deal is right" guys sometimes end up asking for waaaay more than slot money. Looking at a recent draft, I can see one where the #30 pick got 3 mil more than the #1 pick. I'm sure there are even worse examples.

2/15/2017 5:53 PM
Posted by damag on 2/15/2017 5:53:00 PM (view original):
Also don't forget "may sign if the deal is right" guys sometimes end up asking for waaaay more than slot money. Looking at a recent draft, I can see one where the #30 pick got 3 mil more than the #1 pick. I'm sure there are even worse examples.

Why is this such a huge concern? If I get a stud in the first (or even second) round and he asks for $2-3M more, I'll give it to him.

But again, the more people who pass on guys like that, the better for the rest of us. In all my seasons, I've only ever had two first rounders and one supplemental pick not sign. A few have asked for more money, but they were more than worth the increase if I'd intended to sign them anyway.
2/15/2017 6:31 PM
Guy in our league a few years ago had his first overall pick as for 8 million out of the gun. He says sure. Guy comes back and asks for 12. Which he didn't have. He got the type D but it probably sucked to miss out on that guy.

Also, the fuzzy ratings changed everything. Back when ratings were easy to see and we could see currents I drafted a guy 8th overall who just now won his 200th game and will probably be a HOF'er. Same with the year after. Picked a guy 9th who has 560+ home runs and is still going. The problem now is, I'm never sure what I'm getting. I drafted a guy 9th who is a career AAAA guy but that year I got a suplamental pick that ended up winning Rookie of the year. Would suck if I spent all my cash on the 9th overall and punted the other guy. It's just to risky now.

Quantity over potential quality.
2/15/2017 6:36 PM
◂ Prev 12
Amateur Draft Strategies??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.