New: "For Life" (Final Update Re: Recruiting) Topic

sitemail sent
2/10/2011 12:04 AM
I guess I did not make my question clear enough.   If I have too many c in the ML and don't want to retain one because he has no value other than bare minimum defensive ratings and I would like to put someone else in his spot on the bench, so I don't resign him.   As it so happens, a few other teams don't have a backup c as good as the person I did not resign and would desire to retain his services.   Are we thinking of the "Don't Play, Die" option or let the other teams try for his services (bidding to increase his salary requests or no bidding to increase his salary request and only offering what he is requesting for his salary for his services)?  
2/10/2011 9:23 AM

buddy: If you have flat-out released him, he is fair game to all teams the minute he is released. If you simply did not extend his contract, he will be fair game to all teams AFTER Spring Training.

Does that help some?

2/10/2011 9:32 AM
We are currently looking over two different copies of the rules. One will be posted today. Thanks!
2/10/2011 9:33 AM
OK, thanks.   I guess what you are saying is that we don't want bidding wars on our good players because we want to keep their salaries down, but our second level players that we don't want can be involved in bidding wars.   I have no problem either way, I just figured that since the good players are not getting more than they request, why should the second level players, lol.   Thanks again.
2/10/2011 12:12 PM
Good or bad players whoever is not signed by their current team at the end of Spring Training will be fair game. Bidding wars begin at that time.. So basically you don't try to sign ANY player that is not a FA of yours until after Spring training. That gives everyone a chance to sign all the guys they want back and anything left over they obviously did not want or have the room for.
2/10/2011 12:16 PM
If you don't have a spot anywhere in your franchise for a player, I can't imagine there would be much of a bidding war for him. 
2/10/2011 12:20 PM
Actually there will be no bidding wars at all.  Since we will be waiting until the end of spring training to sign free agents, they will sign immediately after being offered.  So it will simply be a questions of first come first served.
2/10/2011 1:14 PM
Great
2/10/2011 3:41 PM
To clarify-During the season-We would have to wait for a released player to clear waivers before we attempt to sign him since waiver claims are disallowed?
2/10/2011 6:50 PM
Lomac: Correct
2/10/2011 7:01 PM
Rules look great.
2/10/2011 7:35 PM
So with this format, players will be at their most expensive during their arb years.
2/10/2011 8:02 PM
Just want to make sure I am understanding the rules correctly.  Say I have a player that is still in his Arb years but he is asking for more than I would like to pay him and I release him before ARbitration is over.  Will I then have until the end of Spring Training to resign him if I change my mind or he becomes cheaper, or will the second I release said player, another owner has the right to sign that player to their team even before Spring Training or FA starts?
2/10/2011 10:57 PM
A post above says that the player is fair game for all teams the minute he's released
2/10/2011 11:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...20 Next ▸
New: "For Life" (Final Update Re: Recruiting) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.