Are their "broken" players? Topic

Well he can think whatever he wants because I haven't copied anything.  What is the fun in that?  I honestly haven't even noticed or looked at the top 25 list until this thread.  And if I was copying teams I certainly wouldn't come post them on the forums to call attention to it and then humbly ask questions.  It sucks if there has been some copy cat issue in the past.  This is news to me.  However assuming that of people just because they happen to use some of the players on some "list of copy cats" or whatever is ridiculous.  Anyway I've already spent too much time responding to this nonsense.  I just wanted some general advice about the sim.  Not to be yelled at by someone with rage issues.

I thank you for your answers Ashamael and certainly hope most of the community is like you and not like Malone9975.

Edit: I mean would I be making a thread asking if Peja was broken and terrible if I had knowledge of him being some guy that is part of known "super teams"?

2/10/2011 5:49 PM
I actually found your first post very ironic.  I spent the entire time thinking - No, Peja is DEFINITELY not broken lol.

ps - Malone's not a bad guy.  I certainly understand where he's coming from.  It's irritating to see the copycat syndrome occur.  I'm actually a pretty big *******.
2/10/2011 6:00 PM
And I'm an Unoriginal Bastard. I used my alias to build those teams and win easy titles so I would get the full 100% of the reward points. Then I sent myself the credits on this account so I could use them for the theme leagues I actually wanted to play.

Its good to see a new face wanting some info. Hope to see you in some theme leagues soon mccheech.
2/10/2011 8:10 PM
I didn't know you could transfer GC...

Hmmm.
2/10/2011 9:13 PM
Me neither...

If I could add something.  Sometimes a team's depth chart is just not working.  Maybe you are consistently being left with too little usage on the floor.  I know in the last 09-10+50 Greatest League I switched Drexler from starter to the bench and I went from the basement to 1 game from the finals.   

I agree that knee jerk reactions kill teams, but you can also tell when something just isn't right and changing your depth chart can make a difference, rather than hitting the WW.
2/10/2011 10:57 PM
oh and heck I put Ray and Chuck on a team once not having a clue that they were the infamous cookie cutters.   I just looked at who was REALLY obviously an amazing bargain and couldn't say no. 
2/10/2011 11:20 PM
im not buying any of this cookie cutter problem crap with the new salaries....what exactly is the cookie cutter team then?....id say its more about people figuring out that working a 18000 minute platoon is a good way to build a team....and once youre looking for a platoon frontcourt its impossible not to notice shaq and wilt...when i built my ol team for the new salary i didnt look at any top25 team for that combo, i stumbled across it pretty easily just by looking for paint scoring and rebounding...they stick out like a sore thumb....and while you of course will see that combo often, the rest of the team is usually different....no one combo has been proven to be better than the rest

mccheech...well done using 68-69 hawkins...no one will accuse you of stealing him...hes a totally underrated player imo that doesnt seem to get used much...im using him in the odl(one of the toughest themes) and hes kicking *** for me...a ft beast
2/11/2011 1:08 AM
"what exactly is the cookie cutter team then?"

The cookie cutter team is any team where an owner says, "I need X amount of Y stat at Z position."  Or the very nature of winning in this sim.  That's why the whole 'cookie-cutter' crying gets old (and is flat inaccurate).

For example:
I need at least 40% creb% at center.  I need at least 35% creb% at PF.  I need at least 30% creb% at SF.  I need at least 15% creb% at one of my guards and 10% at the other.
I need at least 600 3pm when I'm building that combination.
I need at least one player that is at least 2nd tier usage somewhere in that.
I need another player who is at least 4th tier usage in that.
don't want any other players who are higher than 4th tier usage in that.
I need that highest usage guy to get to the line alot (10per48 or more being ideal).
I need that highest usage guy to have an efg% of higher than 50%.  55%+ preferred.
I need that 2nd highest usage guy to be efficient.
I need to get at least 50% ast% in all of that with a goal of at least 70%.
I need to try and make sure that I have 3700 minutes of all of this at each position.

That's a cookie cutter.  It was also the way to dominate in the previous version of the sim in OL.  Now the process is different.  Slightly.  It's mostly the X that's changed.  The Y & Z parts are the same.

Thus everyone builds cookie cutters.  Everyone who wins consistently, anyway.  The trick is, you can do it without using the same guys every time.  It's just that some players fit the bill better than others.

"changing your depth chart "

I micro-manage the hell out of my depth chart.  Occasionally it bites me in the *** and I lose to a bad team.  But it's paid off for me far more times.  The main thing I was speaking of is the whole tempo/press/positioning/double-teaming crap.  That stuff does whacky **** to your team's performance.
2/11/2011 2:26 AM
To clarify...cookie cutters from a statistical standpoint is fine, but copying the principle players from others really ****** me off.  I see this ALOT.
2/11/2011 10:03 AM
I will confess that I built my first team on my blackberry in an hour long car ride last april...Nash, Rice, Pierce, David Lee and the Admiral. I picked my favorite players to watch (remember how insane Glen Rice's big season was?!) and thought I'd give the sim a spin.  The team did well (didn't win) and I began to read the forums trying to improve.  To my horror, I saw my folks were involved in cookie conversations and reached out to an owner in this thread who A) dominated the OLs I was in and B) posted in the forums and made cogent points...In a series of sitemails this owner helped me out a great deal. I still haven't won much but I'm now fairly addicted to theme leagues and have almost lost all interest in the OLs.  My advice to you is pay attention to who you draft and how they perform, as this will give you an idea of where value lies.  Good luck.
2/11/2011 1:23 PM
Posted by dh555 on 2/11/2011 1:08:00 AM (view original):
im not buying any of this cookie cutter problem crap with the new salaries....what exactly is the cookie cutter team then?....id say its more about people figuring out that working a 18000 minute platoon is a good way to build a team....and once youre looking for a platoon frontcourt its impossible not to notice shaq and wilt...when i built my ol team for the new salary i didnt look at any top25 team for that combo, i stumbled across it pretty easily just by looking for paint scoring and rebounding...they stick out like a sore thumb....and while you of course will see that combo often, the rest of the team is usually different....no one combo has been proven to be better than the rest

mccheech...well done using 68-69 hawkins...no one will accuse you of stealing him...hes a totally underrated player imo that doesnt seem to get used much...im using him in the odl(one of the toughest themes) and hes kicking *** for me...a ft beast
So can one get by in a open league with only 18000min & not 20000 thanks.
3/7/2011 1:11 PM
Posted by ashamael on 2/11/2011 2:27:00 AM (view original):
"what exactly is the cookie cutter team then?"

The cookie cutter team is any team where an owner says, "I need X amount of Y stat at Z position."  Or the very nature of winning in this sim.  That's why the whole 'cookie-cutter' crying gets old (and is flat inaccurate).

For example:
I need at least 40% creb% at center.  I need at least 35% creb% at PF.  I need at least 30% creb% at SF.  I need at least 15% creb% at one of my guards and 10% at the other.
I need at least 600 3pm when I'm building that combination.
I need at least one player that is at least 2nd tier usage somewhere in that.
I need another player who is at least 4th tier usage in that.
don't want any other players who are higher than 4th tier usage in that.
I need that highest usage guy to get to the line alot (10per48 or more being ideal).
I need that highest usage guy to have an efg% of higher than 50%.  55%+ preferred.
I need that 2nd highest usage guy to be efficient.
I need to get at least 50% ast% in all of that with a goal of at least 70%.
I need to try and make sure that I have 3700 minutes of all of this at each position.

That's a cookie cutter.  It was also the way to dominate in the previous version of the sim in OL.  Now the process is different.  Slightly.  It's mostly the X that's changed.  The Y & Z parts are the same.

Thus everyone builds cookie cutters.  Everyone who wins consistently, anyway.  The trick is, you can do it without using the same guys every time.  It's just that some players fit the bill better than others.

"changing your depth chart "

I micro-manage the hell out of my depth chart.  Occasionally it bites me in the *** and I lose to a bad team.  But it's paid off for me far more times.  The main thing I was speaking of is the whole tempo/press/positioning/double-teaming crap.  That stuff does whacky **** to your team's performance.
Hello So what are these 4 tiers of usage ????
3/7/2011 1:16 PM
FAQ you! sorry just kidding:

1st tier usage (8 points) 32.5%+
2nd tier usage (6 points) 27.2% - 32.5%
3rd tier usage (4 points) 22.1% - 27.2%
4th tier usage (2 points) 17.5% - 22.1%
5th tier usage (1 point) 13.7% - 17.5%
bottom tier (0.5 points) less than 13.7%

great lengthy discussion between owners and admin re same:

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=360613&Page=9&TopicsTimeframe=30

3/7/2011 4:08 PM
Posted by felonius on 3/7/2011 4:08:00 PM (view original):
FAQ you! sorry just kidding:

1st tier usage (8 points) 32.5%+
2nd tier usage (6 points) 27.2% - 32.5%
3rd tier usage (4 points) 22.1% - 27.2%
4th tier usage (2 points) 17.5% - 22.1%
5th tier usage (1 point) 13.7% - 17.5%
bottom tier (0.5 points) less than 13.7%

great lengthy discussion between owners and admin re same:

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=360613&Page=9&TopicsTimeframe=30

Ok thanks so is there a number of point you want on the floor at one time.Like say 25 or some thing like that.Thanks again
3/7/2011 4:37 PM
You obviously didn't click the link.

To answer your other question - yes, you can win with 18k minutes in an open league. 17k even if you manage your bench well. And pray to the sim gods you get some C rated rookies to eat up the leftover minutes. 

3/7/2011 6:22 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Are their "broken" players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.