Using Tandem Starting Pitchers Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow.  Can you have 2 have starters alternate turns in the rotation and still enjoy the benefits of their effictiveness or does the SIM account for "too much rest?"

2/11/2011 11:19 PM

On one team I have Joe Nuxhall and Greg Maddux and I use them primarily as long relievers and give them an occassional spot start.  But, I've thought about trying them tandem. I'd probably set them both for 50-60 pitches.  Otherwise, like you said, the starter might go too long into the game for the tandem to be worthwhile.  I'm thinking that doing this once in awhile will save innings on my primary starters too, keeping them fresh down the stretch run. 

2/11/2011 11:21 PM
Hey Doug - When you set your pitching staff roles, there is an option for Tandem.  In order to use Tandem (if I'm correct on this) the Tandem SPs have to be the last ones in your rotation. So if you have 3 SP, you could set a Tandem as Tandem 3A and 3B.  You could set say Greg Maddux as your Tandem 3A and Tom Glavine as your Tandem 3B.  Maddux would pitch the first half of the game and then Glavine the second half of the game, which would mess with the lineup your opponent set up to face the righty Maddux.  So using a Tandem, you are setting up 2 SPs to pitch one game.
2/11/2011 11:24 PM
for arguements sake - let's say my rotation is Seaver, Koufax, Pedro, Big Unit.  for my 5th starter, I use one guy who had 1.99 ERA, .154 OAV & .90 WHIP & .445 HR/9 over 18 starts, pairing with a guy of similar numbers over 15 starts.  Can I treat these two like ONE STARTER over 30 starts and still expect that kind of production?  
2/11/2011 11:26 PM
Okay, thanks for responding Cwillis - what I was talking about is using 3A to pitch 7 innings as my 4th starter and then 3B five games later to pitch 7 innings asmy 4th starter.  Does that work  in the sim?
2/11/2011 11:28 PM
My point is, if there's 20 starters with 38 STARTS allowed with similar metrics priced @  $10 mil but I find TWO guys with similar metrics who can pitched 17 STARTS and together these two guys will cost be $8 mil, can I make them an alternating starter?
2/11/2011 11:31 PM
Starter 4A/4B is *not* present in the sim. Tandem 4A/4B *is* present in the sim. Starter and tandem 5A/5B are both *not* present in the sim.
2/11/2011 11:32 PM
The trick is to get a decent reliever that has enough ip/g and ip/162.   '16 Schupp and '09 Adams may be the best candidates, But there are better bargains.  '07 Morgan is a bargin in an OL.  I think '16 Sallee might be a good fit in the right stadium.
2/12/2011 12:37 AM
If you read this thread assuming that cwillis and dougsisk are aliases, its pretty funny.
2/12/2011 1:33 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 2/12/2011 1:33:00 AM (view original):
If you read this thread assuming that cwillis and dougsisk are aliases, its pretty funny.
I had the same thought. Then I thought, what if there is really only one user on WIS, with thousands of aliases, and we are all figments of this one user's imagination, created  to create a socialization outlet for these thousand personalities...
2/12/2011 8:07 AM
The program Smith has grown beyond your control...
2/12/2011 11:30 AM
Jeesh, I just wanted to talk about Tandem pitching and what some of the veterans who've played this game think of it.  Aliases...this is baseball, not espionage. LOL  If you want to start a James Bond forum, I'll check it out though. 
2/12/2011 7:21 PM
I'm not following your using 3a/3b as your 4th starter, but yes, 3a would pitch a game one turn through the rotation and 3b would pitch the next time through the rotation.

Don't worry about how many starts or games pitched that they had in real life.....go by their ip/162...if the each have 100-125 ip each, then it could work for the season...less than that wont work and too much more, it becomes a waste.
2/12/2011 7:56 PM
123 Next ▸
Using Tandem Starting Pitchers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.