Other Simulator Baseball Games Online Topic

Every couple of months or so a new player starts a thread (or several) and complains about the results they see. All of the players that have been here a while assure them that the results are fine the way the are and even offer detailed explaination as to why. Usually, the new player insists that he (she) is correct and that the people who have been here a while are mistaken.

Without even knowing the subject matter of the argument, I think a third party could make an easy judgment on who is right and who is wrong.

If I were you, I'd meditate on that for a while.
2/12/2011 11:34 PM
Here are the figures of Rivera's last 10 games of 2010 - 10.3 innings, 6 earned runs(ERA 5.24), 3 BLOWN saves - and this was against Boston, Baltimore, TampaBay, and Toronto.
It seems that the greatest reliever of all time doesnt always get people out.
2/12/2011 11:41 PM (edited)
I completely understand what you are saying.  All the teams are NOT powerhouses in this league.  In a $100 million league, the offenses are valued around $50 mil give or take.  So with bench players and everyday players say 14 players (the other 11 players on the roster are pitchers).  Let's say the 5 player bench is valued conservatively at $5 million, or an average of $1 million per player.  For some teams this is high, for some it is low. So that gives us $45 million for the 9 regular players or $5 million per player.  That is not a power house in SIM or in real life. 

In a small sample size, Rivera ought not have blown 3 save opportunities in 10 tries with most of the season to go. If we project this throughout the season, he will blow about 10 save opportunities. He's never come close to doing that in his life.  One Rivera has already blown 7 saves.  He is set at closer and I'm assuming the default is probably a pitch count of 20-25.  That projects to about 20 blown saves for Rivera in the course of the season.  

Most players I've seen roughly emulate their seasons or perhaps earn slightly fewer wins or hit slightly fewer homeruns.  I wonder if the programmers have their favorites in this league.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that SimLeague was developed at BU by a Red Sox fan. LOL
2/12/2011 11:40 PM
The sample size is not small when more than one Rivera is doing the same thing.  It's funny that the focus of this thread became simply about Rivera though.  The rest of my points in the first post I made have been completely ignored. 
2/12/2011 11:43 PM
www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi

That's a link that shows you how the Greatest Reliever of All-Time did in the first month of 2007.  10.57 ERA in 7.2 innings.  Was reality unrealistic?

2/12/2011 11:44 PM
The sim CAN enforce one Ruth, or one Cy Young, but you HAVE TO HOLD A DRAFT.
You cant have people enter teams in your league and then tell them they have to switch out 3,4,5 players because someone already has those players.
You would NEVER, EVER fill that league.
2/12/2011 11:53 PM
This isn't going to end well...
2/13/2011 12:07 AM
This didn't begin well.
2/13/2011 12:59 AM
Where's the missing players forum? I can't believe WIS doesn't even have Mariano Revera!

2/13/2011 3:02 AM
...all kidding aside, I never spend more than $200k on my bench players unless the theme rules require it or put me at a disadvantage if I don't draft platoons. I wouldn't call $1m per bench player a conservative valuation, $5m for a bench seem extraordinarily high to me. My bench normally comes in at between $800k and $1.2m.

I also rarely play leagues where the cap is above $80m because I prefer the more realistic leagues. $60m are the best for that as are single-season progressives (I'd say 85% of my leagues are in those two categories). I use the $80m leagues for experimenting with the sim. In fact, the only leagues I ever play above $80m are the Exclusive Ownership league (where every player is only owned by one team) and the What If Sports Championship (where there are a number of leagues between $60-$140m).

And, all of the Rivera's in the league combined still qualify as a small sample size.

2/13/2011 3:02 AM
Posted by grayfoxx on 2/12/2011 11:54:00 PM (view original):
The sim CAN enforce one Ruth, or one Cy Young, but you HAVE TO HOLD A DRAFT.
You cant have people enter teams in your league and then tell them they have to switch out 3,4,5 players because someone already has those players.
You would NEVER, EVER fill that league.
There was a league like that and it was awesome.   I can't remember who ran it but basically, everyone submitted a roster and then the founder  posted all the players and said who was only on one team.   Those guys became exclusive and then rosters were reworked and resubmitted.   I think they did it about 5-6 times before everyone had different players.   It was pretty neat.  
2/13/2011 6:32 AM
I remember that one, but in it everyone knew they would have to rework their rosters.
cwillis(as founder) doesnt want to do the work himself, he wants WIS to figure out a way to do this for him.
2/13/2011 10:44 AM
there is a live draft feature, it just sucks.

They have said it will be reworked in the next update or two.
2/13/2011 10:50 AM
TJ, that's the Exclusive Ownership league that donburgh is currently running.  The next season should be starting up fairly soon.
2/13/2011 11:09 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Other Simulator Baseball Games Online Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.