Other Simulator Baseball Games Online Topic

He may have only played in one league, but he's already the 3rd highest rated forum user of all time!

2/13/2011 12:23 PM
By the way, for those people with zero or little experience with simulated baseball, this can be a pretty complicated game to understand.  I don't mind the questions at all, but I think it's this user's tone that's putting people off.  Rather than say, "This is ridiculous, this pitcher would never have stats like this, can someone please direct me to a site that's not full of crap," he should have been a bit more humble and asked, "Why is my player performing like this?  Can someone with a bit more experience than me please explain it?"  Unless this is an alias, he's got less than a full season's worth of games in SLB, and he's telling people with hundreds of seasons under their belts that they don't know what they're talking about.
2/13/2011 12:35 PM
This is an amazing performance.  Glenn-Beck-level trolling.  Bravo, sir.
2/13/2011 1:06 PM
Posted by Bilfert on 2/13/2011 11:51:00 AM (view original):
This thread cracks me up that so many great SIm Stalwarts are commenting in here.  You are arguing with a guy that has played in one league.  If he doesn't like it, he should find another game to play.  This is the same guy that wanted to start a league just to get the free team.  I think you have wasted enough of your breath.  

As far as the Exclusive player, other than donburghs league or a live draft it would be ridiculous.  The founder would choose first and he would pick the 24 players he wants, then the next guy picks his favorite remaining 24, and so on.  This would mean that the the founder picks his team without a blacklist and the 24th guy gets to pick with a blacklist of 552 players.  Now that is something I want to spend my money on.
I'm trying to think of a comeback to this. To be continued...
2/13/2011 2:09 PM
Posted by Bilfert on 2/13/2011 11:51:00 AM (view original):
This thread cracks me up that so many great SIm Stalwarts are commenting in here.  You are arguing with a guy that has played in one league.  If he doesn't like it, he should find another game to play.  This is the same guy that wanted to start a league just to get the free team.  I think you have wasted enough of your breath.  

As far as the Exclusive player, other than donburghs league or a live draft it would be ridiculous.  The founder would choose first and he would pick the 24 players he wants, then the next guy picks his favorite remaining 24, and so on.  This would mean that the the founder picks his team without a blacklist and the 24th guy gets to pick with a blacklist of 552 players.  Now that is something I want to spend my money on.

You make a couple of false assumptions here. I can only assume you must be in high school or something.  You assume I set up a league simply to get a free team. I set up a league and recruited 7 of my friends to play because I thought it would be fun period.  Getting a free team is a bonus.  You assume that a new comer is a fool.  I'm sure the people who sell  this game like newcomers and I would hope the community would too.  The more players there are the better. 

I don't see why people would get defensive because I want a game smart enough and user-friendly enough to select different options to play for the average person.  That is what computer technology strives to do.  I may indeed find another baseball simulator to play if there is a better one out there. I am guessing there probably is a better one out there too.

It seems ridiculous to me that you would have to draft and re-draft 5-6 times in order to create a league with one instance of a particular player in it.  All the guys who said they played in this league said it was a great idea and a lot of fun.  So, why not make the setup of such a league easy??? 

2/13/2011 5:20 PM

If my tone comes off wrong, I do apologize. Many of on this forum were expressing points of view and were argumentive and my apologies if I came off too strong. With that said, I'll keep an open mind about the small sample size.  I just hope veterans of SimLeague also keep an open mind about criticisms of the game from a life long baseball fan who has just started playing.  Sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes to see aspects of something that needs improvement.  I certainly enjoy this game, but at the same time am frustrated by some of its limitations and the lack of technical support from the people running it.  As I said before, computer technology ought to be user-friendly and any simpleton like myself should be able to use a good program with ease.  Especially a game. 

2/13/2011 5:35 PM

Your experiences as a "lifelong baseball fan" only limit your perception of what Mariano Rivera would do against vastly superior lineups over a 162 game schedule. All you have ever seen Mo do is dominate and ESPN told you he was the greatest of the great ever and as a result of these two things you find it completely implausible that he would ever put up "mediocre" numbers against any competition. In fact, all of the players in the sim would have muted stats against the competition they see in the sim. What is implausible, is not that Mo would have an ERA of 3.00 or even 4.00 against this level of competition, but that he would ever face such stiff competition on a nightly basis. That is where the fantasy comes in.

While you might have a fresh pair of eyes, you lack perspective and come off like some bitter Yankee fan who is distraut that his hero might be fallible. That is why you have gotten hostile comments (like this one) because you are so sure you are right (even though you are clearly wrong) and you fail to "accept" that he might be facing stiffer competition in an 80 million open league when it is AN irrifutable fact that has been demonstrated to you repeatedly.

2/13/2011 6:28 PM
Posted by GuerillaZen1 on 2/13/2011 6:28:00 PM (view original):

Your experiences as a "lifelong baseball fan" only limit your perception of what Mariano Rivera would do against vastly superior lineups over a 162 game schedule. All you have ever seen Mo do is dominate and ESPN told you he was the greatest of the great ever and as a result of these two things you find it completely implausible that he would ever put up "mediocre" numbers against any competition. In fact, all of the players in the sim would have muted stats against the competition they see in the sim. What is implausible, is not that Mo would have an ERA of 3.00 or even 4.00 against this level of competition, but that he would ever face such stiff competition on a nightly basis. That is where the fantasy comes in.

While you might have a fresh pair of eyes, you lack perspective and come off like some bitter Yankee fan who is distraut that his hero might be fallible. That is why you have gotten hostile comments (like this one) because you are so sure you are right (even though you are clearly wrong) and you fail to "accept" that he might be facing stiffer competition in an 80 million open league when it is AN irrifutable fact that has been demonstrated to you repeatedly.

Wow I have to total agree with Guerillazen I was thinking the same thing.This is a Fantasy game It is all about the numbers.There are many better closers in the sims then Mariano.And if in real life MR had to face a lineup of HOF every time he pitched.He would not have great number that you think he should have.If he faced Baby Ruth ,Ty Cobb,Ted Williams,Roger Hornsby & on & on & on he would have the number you see.

2/13/2011 8:06 PM
An 80M team put together by an owner who knows what he's doing could compete with most of the very best teams in baseball history.  If Rivera were facing that kind of talent in real life every day, what do you think his numbers would look like?  At best all you can say is "I don't know" because he has never faced that level of competition over a sustained period of time.  My opinion is that there is no pitcher in baseball history who would routinely put up a sub-3.00 ERA against this kind of talent.

I think this should be amended slightly. An $80M team put together by an owner who has a slight idea what he is doing? could compete with most of the very best teams in baseball history.  An $80M team put together by a more competant owner with routinely beat the best teams in baseball history.
2/13/2011 8:47 PM
that would be an awesome theme league.....1/2 the teams are 80 million, the other 1/2 are historical teams.....I just loaded in the 1927 Yankees, they are 98 million,

Is there a way to see what the most expensive RL teams?
2/13/2011 8:58 PM
SIM Matchup -->MLB--> Search Historical Teams, Any Team, Sort by Payrollm decreasing:

1. 1890 Philadelphia Athletics 54-78 120
2. 1927 New York Yankees 110-44 96
3. 1888 St. Louis Browns 92-43 95
4. 1888 New York Giants 84-47 92
5. 1885 New York Giants 85-27 91
6. 1886 Detroit Wolverines 87-36 90
7. 1969 Baltimore Orioles 109-53 89
8. 1906 Chicago Cubs 116-36 89
9. 1931 New York Yankees 94-59 89
10. 1885 Chicago White Stockings 87-25 88

2/13/2011 9:05 PM
Looking at those teams, I'm certain a good SIM owner could put together a better $80 mil team - even over the '90 Athletics.
2/13/2011 9:33 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You must have missed this post...

just4me
Game Rating: Hall of Famer Forum Rating: Prospect
MLB - 413 seasons NBA - 1 seasons NFL - 2 seasons NHL - 1 seasons HBD - 2 seasons

I also rarely play leagues where the cap is above $80m because I prefer the more realistic leagues. $60m are the best for that as are single-season progressives (I'd say 85% of my leagues are in those two categories).  
2/13/2011 10:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Other Simulator Baseball Games Online Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.