Other Simulator Baseball Games Online Topic

Posted by cwillis802 on 2/13/2011 9:47:00 PM (view original):
Thurst62 et al thanks for the post.  I like when you say "this is a fantasy game."  It really says it all.  It really isn't the most realistic.  I do enjoy the game, but it is not as realistic as I thought it might be.  Anyway thanks for the posts.  Seems like most of the commenters do not agree with my sentiments, so I'll agree that in terms of this game all is fair for how the simulator works.  Keep in mind Rivera was just one example.  I'm sure there are other examples out there as well, but as you said it is a simulator game.  And is not realistic.  Unfortunately there is no way to test the realism because we can't assemble the types of teams we do in this league and have them play against each other.
What people are trying to get to is that it is pretty realistic. You're playing in open leagues that use the most extreme outliers of players.

If you want something closer to what you'd expect in real baseball, then stick to theme leagues that have pretty strict restrictions on rosters or play in single season progressives. The small player pool is much easier to work with when you're just starting. The good players will be good in these types of leagues. In an 05 progressive, Rivera has a 2.14 ERA and .081 WHIP half way through the season.
2/13/2011 10:44 PM
The problem it seems with the OP is his belief that $80m open leagues are equivalent to a standard MLB calibre team which most of the experienced owners here know that it is not.

Consider that in an 80m open league you are pretty much taking an all-star player at every fielding position (even at $5m these are all-star calibre players).  Mariano Rivera only faces a team with that type of line-up pretty much once per year for 1 inning (usually the all-star game) and faces probably only 3 or 4 of them at most.  Load most any modern day MLB team into the roster and you'll consistently get teams whose value is less than $60m.

CWillis, I encourage you to find a $60m dollar open league or theme, pick up any Mariano you like and see how he performs in that type of enviroment (although you would be spending a fair portion of your salary cap for a reliever).

If you want to actually see why Mariano has been so good for so long, find a theme where you can pick any ball player since 1995 from the same team and have a 255m cap.  You'll see that the Yankees will be closer to 120m while teams like TB, Tor, and the rest will be under 100m.

I'm a lifelong Yankee fan but the way OPEN leagues work in WIS is the equivalent of having a MLB salary cap in place PLUS having the pick of any all-star in the history of the game... not conducive for any pitcher to have a lower ERA than he did in RL (since nothing barring ball park selection and perhaps getting better defenders in the field behind him will help him versus an all-star lineup day in day out).

2/14/2011 1:31 AM
Posted by cwillis802 on 2/13/2011 10:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crazystengel on 2/13/2011 12:23:00 PM (view original):
He may have only played in one league, but he's already the 3rd highest rated forum user of all time!

I already have PRO rating in the forum! LOL
Well that just shows that the rating Forum does not mean a thing! I have my 5 votes for today Crazy is at #17 lets see how far up he moves.
2/14/2011 9:28 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
EXACTLY!!
2/14/2011 10:48 AM
Posted by cwillis802 on 2/14/2011 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Just so you know, I wouldn't be ranked #3 in the forums if I weren't trying to learn a lot from the people who have played this game for a while.  I'm getting a lot of good information on here.  I may be slow to accept some of the info, but I respect what people are saying.  I'm going to be #1 in something soon...the forums.  I can't seem to win in SimLeague yet.  I think I'm also public enemy number 1 too. 
Oh how the mighty have fallen all the way out of the top 20!!
2/14/2011 11:47 AM
Posted by thurst63 on 2/14/2011 9:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cwillis802 on 2/13/2011 10:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crazystengel on 2/13/2011 12:23:00 PM (view original):
He may have only played in one league, but he's already the 3rd highest rated forum user of all time!

I already have PRO rating in the forum! LOL
Well that just shows that the rating Forum does not mean a thing! I have my 5 votes for today Crazy is at #17 lets see how far up he moves.
Save your ratings for amycox67.  She lives for that stuff!
2/14/2011 12:01 PM
Out of curiousity, if Silver King were pitching today would you take him and his 709 IP over 1999's Pedro Martinez?  I mean I guess King could pitch everyday even in today's modern game; just like he does in SimLeague.  Or was he able to pitch so many innings because of a dead ball and because teams travelled by train and had more days off between games so he could rest a little longer.  I'm not sure. 
2/14/2011 6:02 PM
I am pretty sure Silver King could throw 709 IP in modern baseball.   He was an amazing athlete.   According to Wikipedia, he had large hands and a good fastball.    He also employed a no windup pitch and later threw side arm.  I think 709 IP in 162 game season would be common place if the Silver started his career in the steroid era.

I am also pretty sure Mariano Rivera would get Ty Cobb out all the time.

Pretty much whoever is one your team should win.

Wanna play a game of chess?
2/14/2011 6:28 PM
Posted by cwillis802 on 2/14/2011 6:02:00 PM (view original):
Out of curiousity, if Silver King were pitching today would you take him and his 709 IP over 1999's Pedro Martinez?  I mean I guess King could pitch everyday even in today's modern game; just like he does in SimLeague.  Or was he able to pitch so many innings because of a dead ball and because teams travelled by train and had more days off between games so he could rest a little longer.  I'm not sure. 
Before 1894 the distance from the mound to home was significantly shorter.  Pitchers didn't have to throw as hard and because of this, they could pitch more often.  Teams typically employed 2 man rotations back then.  They did have more days off too, but not as many as you might figure since the leagues were much more compact geographically.    The shift to a four man/ four day rotation occured in the five years after the pitching distance change,.  As time went on, generally pitchers were given more rest and rotations went more strictly four-man.  The shift to a five-man / five-day rotation didn't uccur until the 1970s.  I think this was a result of lowering the mound in 1969, tho I have rarely read that.  As the strike zones and ballparks shrunk in the 90s and 2000s, pitchers responded by throwing more hard breaking balls which are harsher on the arm.  As a result a strict five man rotation replaced the five man/ five day rotation.  Modern medical and sabermetric analysis as well as economic necessity has pushed back on the five man rotation a bit in the past few years but it remains the standard.     
2/14/2011 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Silver King topped out around 75 mph.
2/14/2011 11:31 PM
Never mind.  I don't think the trains of that era went that fast.
2/14/2011 11:32 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Other Simulator Baseball Games Online Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.