Using starters as relievers Topic

Can starting pitchers be used as relievers and expect the same level of results or will the sim penalize them in any way for being used in a slot where they didn't pitch in actual life.

Wondering if I have a team already full with starters and I see a starting pitcher available that is a better value than any relievers that are available should I just go ahead and grab the starter and stash him in the pen, or should I stick to relievers?

Thanks again guys!

2/13/2011 12:44 PM
I asked Admin about this in a ticket a while ago and was told there was no penalty whatsoever for using starters in relief.
2/13/2011 1:23 PM
When I play an OL I always draft 6 or 7 starters between 100 and 150 ip and rotate them in and out of starting and relief. I haven't noticed any difference in performance
2/13/2011 7:09 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 2/13/2011 1:23:00 PM (view original):
I asked Admin about this in a ticket a while ago and was told there was no penalty whatsoever for using starters in relief.
I asked this in a forum with Trentzmeyer and he declined to answer.  My impression based on stats is that starters suffer ~10% in performance when used in relief.
2/13/2011 9:56 PM

Good post. I was curious about this too.  It seems that guys who sometimes had 2 saves or so work out better as closers than guy who had over 40 saves in their season. 

2/13/2011 10:27 PM
I've never noticed any difference. In fact my starters seem to overperform when they come out of the pen for a season (maybe less in-game fatigue or possibly facing weaker parts of the order). I always try to use my starters in the pen whenever I have the innings to do so. Their high ip/g really helps out with appearance fatigue.

As far as the post regarding saves, they're just for show. The sim is entirely based on a pitcher's peripherals and how they compare to his peers in the same league/season. Many times a teams set-up guy will have better stats than their closer.
2/13/2011 10:35 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Do most successful teams draft mostly starters?
2/13/2011 10:49 PM
I suspect there is a fatigue penalty. when I use Starters as RP I don't get as many innings out of them. haven't noticed a difference in quality.
2/13/2011 11:24 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 2/13/2011 11:24:00 PM (view original):
I suspect there is a fatigue penalty. when I use Starters as RP I don't get as many innings out of them. haven't noticed a difference in quality.
Same here... I like to think I'm pretty good at stretching my pitchers and maximizing IP with minimal effects from fatigue, but when I use starters in relief I tend to not get quite as many innings out of them as when I use them as starters. It could just be I haven't quite figured out how to use them as well and I'm to blame, but this is my general experience.
2/14/2011 12:18 AM
I did a statistical study on this sometime ago by looking at low ip starters (presumably used in relief) and comparing them to actual relievers (or guys classified as such by the database).  I found the low IP starters on average performed worse than the relivers when using # stats as a baseline.  I am going to reinvestigate and post results.
2/14/2011 1:31 AM (edited)
Posted by zubinsum on 2/14/2011 1:31:00 AM (view original):
I did a statistical study on this sometime ago by looking at low ip starters (presumably used in relief) and comparing them to actual relievers (or guys classified as such by the database).  I found the low IP starters on average performed worse than the relivers when using # stats as a baseline.  I am going to reinvestigate and post results.
Interesting, I am not finding the same pattern I saw before.  In fact, low IP starters faired better:

Starters:
     SIMoav - oav# = .043
     SIMoav / oav# = 1.213

Relievers:
     SIMoav - oav# = .047
     SIMoav / oav# = 1.254

I am reversing my position... I do not believe there is a performance penalty for starters used in relief.

2/14/2011 2:18 AM

2/14/2011 2:54 AM
I've never noticed that using any low IP/162, high IP/G guys in the bullpen has a deleterious effect on performance, and in fact have come to the general conclusion they perform better. I don't have the time to research and statistically back up this supposition, but the years of messing around on this site leads to be believe it has to do with the dreaded "in game" fatigue penalty.
2/14/2011 12:44 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Using starters as relievers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.