I Need Help, and Advice Topic

Since I have had this tumor diagnosed and removed, I have had no income at all. I have applied for every kind of public assistance available, but I am not qualified to receive anything. The primary issue has to do with my long term recovery prognosis, which, at this time, doctors won't commit to, but at this time, I can't go to work. Generally, as far as my illness, I have received good news, my entire skeleton was x/rayed, there were no other lesions, which caused the oncologist to revise my diagnosis from multiple myeloma to plasma cytosis. My problems all have to do with finances. I simply did not, and do not have the money in savings to support myself. every bill is due, and almost everything is on the verge of being shut off. I see no way out, what would you do? Any suggestions? I have applied for unemployment, SS disability, welfare, and to our church for help. The church takes the stance that the bills we have due, telephone, television, and car payment, are not "vital." The government aid may come through, depending on what the doctors tell the agencies. I really don't need a huge amount of money, $1000 dollars would be way more than ehough. We have received help with the electric bill, and I am on medicaid and food stamps. Any ideas?
2/19/2011 10:24 AM
Couple Ideas:

1. Call whoever you owe and tell them your story.    I've had my cable and phone bills reduced before when my wife lost her job.   Ask them what they can do to help.  Most large corporations have some sort of assistance plan.

2.  Call your Congressmen, Senator and state legislator.  There may be programs that you are not aware of.   My guess is your state has some assistance program you can take advantage of.
2/19/2011 11:26 AM
You mentioned your church, but what about having a benefit (or have someone throw a benefit for you) and going to the community itself? If you've lived in the area for awhile, especially in a more rural setting, you might find people are usually willing to help out. The city or town might donate the use of a hall for the night for a good cause. Find some local musicians who will help out to entertain. Have some neighbours prepare sandiwches/food for the night. Go to local businesses and ask for donations or prizes that you can raffle off. Have a donation box and a 50/50. If you can't get the town hall, a local pub might be willing to help you out on a slow night (and might be a better option to being with).
2/19/2011 12:22 PM
If you have a few friends that are poker players, poker fundraisers are awesome.  Usually everybody's friends will play also whether they know you or not.  I have a friend on pokerstars.net that setup an online fundraiser and raised over a thousand dollars with a $10 buy-in tourney for a friend of hers.
2/19/2011 1:03 PM
I know a couple people who draw 'disability social security'. Its $675 per month. Seems easy enough to get on.
2/19/2011 3:17 PM (edited)
Boog, thank you for the prayer, and the comment. I have applications in for every kind of assistance, including SS disability, but here's my problem. I qualify for unemployment, if I can work. So far, doctor says no. To qualify for SS disability, doctor needs to put me out for one year. They won't do that, either. Thst, essentially, is my dilemma..
2/19/2011 6:56 PM
This isn't a problem that will put you out for a year?

The guys that I know that are on it, have been for years and could work if they wanted to (and in their case I wish they would). Maybe find a new doctor that'll right you the 1 year note?
2/19/2011 11:45 PM
I would go back to work right now if the doctord would ok it...and, to date, they would not give me the "one year" restriction. If they'd give me either one, ok me ( even on light duty) then I could collect unemployment, or if they would proclaim me out for a year, then SS disability would be available...as it is, i'm not eligible for either.
2/20/2011 2:13 PM
pfatt, go to another doctor. Like boog I know 4 guys right now who have been milking SS disability for years, and will continue into the foreseeable future. One of them, with a mysterious back ailment,  was actually caught painting his house, and they still didn't drop him. Beat the bricks for the right doctor, this seems insane to me.
2/20/2011 2:33 PM
PF...   I am so sorry to hear of your situation.  My sincere prayers for a full recovery.  I would ask the local Salvation Army.  They pay first month's rent for people who are coming out of jail.  I am sure they would help you.  All you would need is proof that you are in the situation that you are in, and they would help by paying some bills.  Also, I would look into the local St. Vincent DePaul.  They provide assistance for people as well as their main focus of selling household items that are donated.  Also, local homeless shelters often have money donated to them to help members of the community who have difficulties that are affordably handled by their means.  In this economy, most auto financing companies will work with you if proper documentation will be given to assure them in a finite period of time, you will resume payments.  Ask for a deferment on the loan of 6 months.  If you had a decent payment history before this occurred, I am sure they will help, as they usually dont want a car that they will likely sell for less than they are owed.  That will work with major auto finance companies like Ford Motor Credit and Toyota or Honda Motor Credit,  It wont work with subprime lenders.

If you want more info or advice, feel free to sitemail me.

- E
2/21/2011 1:03 AM
Are you a Christian?  Sometimes things seem overwhelming and you're unable to cope, but a simple prayer requesting direction oftentimes helps.  The situation appears omminous but the reality of the situation is that your blessed.  The doctor's diagnosis is positive now get down on your knees and pray.   It would appear that you qualify for SSI.  Are you a vet?   Sometimes it's useful to contact as many agencies as possible and one case worker will have the key..  Let me know how it works out for you.  GO TO CHURCH!
2/21/2011 5:51 PM
rbolger, I am a Christian, and, ironically enough, of the various organizations and agencies that I have asked for assistance from, the only one to refuse me, point blank, was my church. This is a situation that, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be in. I talked to my family Dr. yesterday, after I hand carried a form from Unemployment to him. He responded that I could not work until April, so that kills that avenue, I hate living like this. There are agencies who will help with rent and utilities, things like car payments, phone bills, television channels, those are all referred to as "non-essential."  So, if I don't pay the rent, let them pay it, and use the money I would have paid rent with to pay those bills...that is a little underhanded, but it would work. How does it ever get so crazy?!?!
2/22/2011 1:26 PM
I Need Help, and Advice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.