Advice For Drafting Offense Topic

I suppose it varies depending upon the type of league you are playing in, but was wondering if anyone who has been successful winning leagues could offer some advice on what sort of players you like to draft for your offense.  Is batting average the most important offensive statistic to consider?  Is it best to draft a balanced lineup with power and speed?  If it depends on the type of league, perhaps we can focus on open leagues.  Thanks.
2/19/2011 11:56 PM
Learning how to draft an offense that scores runs efficiently is 90% of the game. All I can say is, "Good luck."
2/20/2011 12:01 AM
Thanks!  I'm surprised that drafting a pitching staff would constitute only 10% of the game.  That info in and of itself is nice to know. 
2/20/2011 12:06 AM
Pitching is very linear in its value and understanding how it works. I mean, one guy goes out at a time. The more money you spend on him, the better his ERA will be. The less you spend, the higher his ERA will be. Complicated stuff no?

With offense, you have 9 guys who's attributes all have to work together to push runs across. You can spend hundreds of hours analyzing that stuff, and really learn a lot while silmulateously learning how little you know.
2/20/2011 12:11 AM
Great point. 
2/20/2011 7:17 PM
Posted by cwillis802 on 2/19/2011 11:56:00 PM (view original):
I suppose it varies depending upon the type of league you are playing in, but was wondering if anyone who has been successful winning leagues could offer some advice on what sort of players you like to draft for your offense.  Is batting average the most important offensive statistic to consider?  Is it best to draft a balanced lineup with power and speed?  If it depends on the type of league, perhaps we can focus on open leagues.  Thanks.
Just my opinion...
The most important offensive stats in OLs are obp# and avg#.  Most lineups have middle of the order sluggers to drive in runs, but just beware of  modern homerun hitters as most drastically underperform when faced with the deadball arms that dominate OLs.  You can win with a top-heavy or balanced lineup, tho just like in real-life it is very difficult to win if you give away more than one out (besides the pitcher). 
2/20/2011 9:54 PM
Posted by boogerlips on 2/20/2011 12:11:00 AM (view original):
Pitching is very linear in its value and understanding how it works. I mean, one guy goes out at a time. The more money you spend on him, the better his ERA will be. The less you spend, the higher his ERA will be. Complicated stuff no?

With offense, you have 9 guys who's attributes all have to work together to push runs across. You can spend hundreds of hours analyzing that stuff, and really learn a lot while silmulateously learning how little you know.
I mostly agree, except that now matching pitching to defense and pitching quality is a big part of the game.
2/21/2011 12:18 AM
Advice For Drafting Offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.