I would like a bit of feedback on the use of these two.
I am currently setting up my staff for a Progressive League - I have 2218 IP and almost all my pitchers have excellent WHIP+ and ERC+
1907 Ed Karge
1907 Barney Pelty
1967  Gary Peters
1907 George Winter
1967 Tom Seaver
and a bullpen of
1967 Hiller
1967 Aguire
1967 Face
and a few more guys too.
I'm wondering if I should set my starters at TPC- none- and us a MPC # (based on there pitches thrown for the season/games)
and just a straight 5/6 start only settings.
or set them at (relief-ok) and use a low TPC like 60 or 70 and a TPC of none.

2/21/2011 12:08 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding what you want exactly. I can tell you though that you can't use a target count of 'none' for starters. It has to be at least 40.
2/21/2011 12:54 PM
You should never set their MPC to be significantly higher than their IP/G * 15. So start with that.

Also, you generally want to have more guys in the bullpen if they're not needed in the rotation. So if you have 4 guys with 250ish IP, that's your rotation, and you can put the rest in the 'pen.
2/22/2011 11:28 AM
once a pitcher reaches his TPC he probably won't pitch the next inning so if MPC is more than 15-20 higher than TPC it's probably meaningless. 
I'll set TPC and MPC the same if I want to know what I'm getting. I'll use lower TPC if I want to encourage the use of pinch hitters.
2/22/2011 11:55 AM (edited)
There are many different ways to use these settings, along with how you set your rotation, your auto-rest, etc.  It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

From my perspective, the most important thing you want to do is make sure your best pitchers pitch as many innings as possible (quantity) and as many important innings as possible (quality).  I want my weakest pitchers to pitch in mop-up situations, or when I'm resting my lineup, or against certain specific opponents (sometimes interleague, sometimes very weak teams, sometimes very strong teams where I don't think I'm likely to win anyway).

Accordingly I use my TPC and MPC as one tool to try to implement that strategy.  I don't want to share all of the details of how I do this - it involves a spreadsheet - but one example is that I set my starters TPC based on the overall number of innings I have in my rotation.  For some pitchers, this will mean their TPC is less than the total number of pitchers they could throw based off of their IP/G number.  In those cases, I will set the MPC to be the maximum number of pitches they can throw in a game without suffering in-game fatigue. 

As rbow923 says, this is a meaningless distinction most of the time, but if at any point I have a fatigued bullpen, it will allow those starters who CAN stay in the game a little longer to do so.  Probably no more than 3-5 games in the season; not enough to seriously impact the fatigue of those starters, and it gives me just enough extra leverage in those games when I need it.
2/22/2011 1:53 PM
I posted a thread a while back about how the SIM algorithm uses your bullpen.  It may be useful info; I'll see if I can find it and will bump it.
2/22/2011 1:55 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.