WIS MLB 2011 - Ranking them now! Topic

I'm joining a league on another site where we'll be picking players now for the 2011 season, and when the year is over we'll be playing out the season on WIS. So I'm starting to put together my list and figured I would get some feedback from the expert community here. (This will probably be a 24-team league... and yes it's possible that some of the folks in my league will read this and know what I'm thinking)

Keeping in mind the vagaries of WIS (HR prevention is more important than RL, speed doesn't help unless you have a good success rate and more than 15-20 attempts, need 25 IP/50 PA to qualify, playing fatigued crushes your defense, etc)... the list is not that different from a projected WAR list or even a fantasy baseball list if you remember to include defense.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far... still a work in progress

1. Pujols
2. Felix
3. Halladay
~~~
4. Tulo
5. Cano
~~~~
6. Lincecum
7. Votto
8. Hanley
9. Longoria
~~~~
10. Hamilton
11. Utley
12. Miggy Cabrera
~~~~
13. Zimmerman
14. CarGo
15. Cliff Lee
16. Braun
17. Holliday
~~~~
18. AGonz
19. Howard
20. Teix
21. Mauer
~~~~
22. Wright
23. Rollins
24. Sabathia
25. Kemp
~~~~
26. Lester
27. Posey
28. Choo
29. Youk
30. Josh Johnson
2/24/2011 11:04 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
One of the things that really stands out is the lack of good centerfielders. I love McCutchen but his range isn't great. Gardner is a good one but he's stuck in LF. Hamilton and CarGo wouldn't be bad either but they'll be manning corner spots too. They might be able to play their way into B or B+ range in a corner spot and then they'd be playable in CF, but otherwise the pickings are slim. Bruce is another guy who will probably be playable in CF. Crawford... maybe not with the Monstah cutting down his chances.

Other than that, you're looking at guys like Stubbs, FraGu, Granderson, Torres/Pagan, Bourn, AJax, etc.
2/24/2011 12:01 PM
Pagan's range will be diminished if Beltran plays the whole year.  I am convinced Range Factor has more to do with who you play the OF with than how well you play the OF.

Maybe that is an overstatement but I think who the schloubs are next to you is really important.  Victorino's RF will probably go up with Werth in WAS now.
2/24/2011 12:25 PM
Yeah, Victorino is another one to add.

Cain is probably in the same tier of pitchers as JJ and Lester... maybe add Price and Latos since they play in HR-suppressing parks. Verlander too? EDIT: And Ubaldo as well.
2/24/2011 12:37 PM (edited)
Andrew McCutchen
2/24/2011 3:59 PM
Greinke will completely dominate the NL this year.

2/24/2011 4:30 PM
Yeah, it's just 2011. I expect that guys like Brown, Montero and Smoak will be overdrafted and I can scoop up boring veteran corner outfielders late in the draft. We shall see.
2/24/2011 9:24 PM
Load up on the top tier hitters early, especially those at hard to fill spots. I would put in Tulo and HanRam in the top tier and bump up guys like Longoria/Utley/Zimmerman.

This will give you a little flexibility later and allow you to load up starting pitching and weak defensive positions with depth. Just mentioning some pitchers who haven't been named in the thread... Weaver, Kershaw, Lilly, Billingsley, Hudson (both), Hanson, Marcum, Rodriguez, Carpenter, Romero, Morrow, Scherzer, Liriano, Baker, Anderson, Cahill and so on... Some of these guys are obviously a tier or two apart, but I'd much rather grab a few sure thing hitters, stock my team with 3 of these guys and hope for the best.
2/24/2011 9:44 PM
I had the 5th pick. So of course the top 4 were completely unexpected.

1. Tulo - can't argue too much with that
2. Pujols - duh
3. Braun - well.... allllllrighty then
4. Hanley - position scarcity and all, not a bad pick

So I took Felix at #5.
2/25/2011 11:37 AM
You hear it here first, Cole Hamels will take home the NL CY Young.  He is looking like a beast in camp right now throwing harder then he has ever thrown and if anyone saw him last year he was hitting 95-96.  His second half last year was top 3 in mlb in most pitching catg.  Just saying to watch out for him this year, he's arb. eleg. next year so he will also be pitching for some money.  
2/26/2011 8:27 AM
Here's where we are:

1. Tulo - can't argue too much with that
2. Pujols - duh
3. Braun - well.... allllllrighty then
4. Hanley - position scarcity and all, not a bad pick
5. Felix - as long as he is healthy...
6. Longoria - not bad at all given his glove/bat combo
7. Halladay - well I did have him #3
8. Adrian Gonzalez - I wouldn't have taken a 1B that early but he is a good one and has a good glove
9. Cliff Lee - a little scared of him being mediocre in Philly, but not a bad anchor
10. CarGo - probably contingent on him having good range
11. Miguel Cabrera - see AGonz, minus the glove and plus the drinking problem
12. Robby Cano - an absolute felony at this point. Wow.
13. Carl Crawford - see CarGo
14. Votto - great value here
2/28/2011 10:44 AM
123 Next ▸
WIS MLB 2011 - Ranking them now! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.