Who's the better player? Topic

I am looking for some "advice" on who to play at 2b.  

The Situation:

I have two pretty solid 2b in a progressive league, I'll probably end up trading one but if I don't, I really don't know who to play.

The Relevant Information:

16 team single season progressive
Teams tend to be good (average salary around 85 million with the top usually over 100)
Home Park is in the Astrodome
I'll have 1100-1200 very good innings worth of pitcher
Either player will probably bat leadoff
I will have A range at 1b,SS, and 3b
My team will be good

The Players:

Player   B PA
/162
HR AVG AVG# OBP# SLG# SB CS 2B 3B SPD SALARY C 1B 2B 3B SS OF
    Morgan, Joe   L 657 15 .236 .241 .370 .379 49 14 18 5 88 $3,847,489 -- -- C/D -- -- C/D+
    Clarke, Horace   S 704 4 .285 .294 .343 .373 33 13 26 7 84 $5,767,573 -- -- B/A -- -- --

2/24/2011 8:33 PM (edited)
Correction: You have one pretty solid 2B and one incredible 2B that you can build championship teams around. If this prog was just beginning and you had the 1st overall pick, you take Joe Morgan in a heartbeat, no questions asked. You already have enough pitching (and it's not that hard to come by), do you really think you can get fair value for Morgan in a trade?

For this season alone I still like Morgan if you can only pick one (though they're close enough to platoon and/or sub Clarke in late). Clarke's D is nice, and having a singles hitter behind the pitcher is always valuable, but Morgan's OBP and SB more than make up for that . Who's your 3rd OF that Morgan can't just play out there?

Oh and by "can build championship teams around" I just meant that as a general statement. You shouldn't really get your hopes up too much.

2/24/2011 9:26 PM (edited)
I'd play Clarke. Give up a few points of OBP for much much better defense.
2/24/2011 9:23 PM
With the rest of your infield so solid defensively, Clarke is the choice, will greatly improve your DP potential IMO. BTW I wouldn't trade either of them.
2/24/2011 10:06 PM
Clarke.  I'm biased because `68 Clarke set my personal best for + plays in a single season, and I've seen him do it for others.  He's a DP machine, and Joe Morgan is such a chronic underperformer in $80 MM OL that it's hard to trust him elsewhere, though I'm told he performs closer to expectations in progressives. 
2/25/2011 3:33 AM
Who's the better player? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.