What's WIS worth? Topic

I just totaled up my 2010 WIS expenses, something I've not done for a full year before.

I had 50 teams and paid for 46 of them.

I paid a full $12.95 for 19 teams and had varying degrees of discounts for 27 others.

I bought two six packs.

I spent an average of $9.31 a week on this obsession.

I almost quit at one juncture, yet here I am running 10 teams at a time...
3/2/2011 3:57 PM
$9.31 a week? Intervention time
3/2/2011 4:39 PM
I did mine.   More or less same...
3/2/2011 4:42 PM
I can't count my costs because I'm too stupid. . I spend an hour a day on my teams (6 now) and a 1/2 hour thinking up ways to annoy Boogerlips.

It is worth it, what ever I spend.
3/2/2011 4:42 PM
Calculating the value of annoying boogerlips? Priceless...
3/2/2011 5:03 PM
Well put, doubletruck.  I run too many teams -- up to 20 at a time.  If I could limit my teams to a pair of sixpacks at a time, my teams would probably perform better, within the limitations of my feeble brain.  At an average of 18 teams every two months, that's a retail cost of about $20/week.  About half of that is subsidized through points/credits earned, so I'm paying about $10/week -- pretty much the same as doubletruck and trentonjoe.  Ten bucks a week is definitely worth it to me.  The only reason for cutting down wouldn't be the money but managing fewer teams so I'm more focused and the performance will (should) be better.
3/2/2011 5:42 PM
Posted by grizzly_one on 3/3/2011 2:20:00 AM (view original):
I haven't spent money here in years.
What he said...  I only run 3-5 teams at once though.  I used to run 20+ teams at once live and it was an addiction and way too much.  I guess I am in recovery.  Draft Leagues are a great way to maximize your buck and minimize your spending while still getting to research and spend time on the site.  I think if I spent $10/week I would never hear the end of it from my wife (who thinks this is a waste of my time).
3/3/2011 6:02 AM
Most of the money I spend is in GC's - whenever I join a league that requires them, then I have to put up the cash.

I probably bought about 4 6-packs last year and the rest of my teams I played for free. You can play a long, long time for free when you win the WISC and 2 TOCs in relatively short order. Which is good since I haven't done much since.
3/3/2011 7:40 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/2/2011 4:42:00 PM (view original):
I did mine.   More or less same...
I just did mine again....it comes out to $15.51 a month.  Around $60 of that was me dabbling in GD and HD though.    My baseball spending is pretty much $10 a month.

I think it is a pretty cheap addiction.   When I used to smoke, cigarettes  would cost me about $70 a month and that was when they were $2 a pack.  

I spend more on coffee than I do on WIS.

3/3/2011 9:25 AM
If money ever got too tight to play here I'd be willing to sell Treumen's house in order to keep feeding the addiction.
3/3/2011 11:16 AM
3/3/2011 11:19 AM
Well, this thread has been quiet for nearly 7 years. I am posting now because I just got T of C credits for the first time in years. And I discovered two things: Finishing in the Final Four is worth only 3,750 reward points. or 1.85 sim season teams and the amount of reward points required to get a one-season sim team is up to 2,160 from 2,000. Do I have the new management to thank for this? It's hardly worth being in a tournament unless you place first or second. Once upon a time you could buy a non-tournament eligible team for fewer credits, but I don't see that option available anymore.

I retired from this site for a year, starting in 2016. I'm now contemplating whether I should retire for good -- once my credits are used up.

ADDENDUM: When I went back to the rewards center, I discovered the price for a team is actually still 2,000 credits. I have no idea why it was trying to get me to buy an extra dollar of credit for 160 points; however, I can apparently use that avenue to buy $11 worth of team credits toward another one-season team with the credits left after I use them for one free team.
1/27/2018 7:23 PM (edited)
To be fair, the TOC used to only pay out to the person who won. Now, that person wins less and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th each win something.
1/27/2018 7:18 PM
I know that ozo. Winner-take-all was in effect when I won my only tournament title about a century ago. It also ignited my habit of fielding too many teams.
1/27/2018 7:25 PM
Why do I always join dead sites. I’m always wayy too late to stuff. Everybody retirin when I’m just learning to win consistently.
1/28/2018 12:38 AM
12 Next ▸
What's WIS worth? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.