Question on coding of platoon splits here. Topic

I'm curious how much is known about the coding of L/R splits here for both position players and pitchers., especially in the cases where a player showed an extreme platoon split over one particular season. Possibilities I can think of are:

1) The extreme season platoon split is coded into player performance for that season here;
2) The extreme split is ignored, but a generic or average league wide platoon split is used;
3) The players career platoon splits are used for each season, and the single season extreme split is ignored;
4) The extreme season platoon split is considered but regressed towards either the league platoon splits or the players career splits.

If 1) is used, the extremes would seem to be exploitable by the more experienced owners here, but I haven't seen much evidence of that happening. But I could be wrong.

If 4) is used and there is some mathematical regression going on, I'd be curious as to the details of that technique, to the extent they are publicly known.

Thanks much for any insights!
3/4/2011 9:46 AM
The answer is #2. The change is 5%.

I can't find the FAQ so I can't remember if it's a 5% penalty for same-handed matchups (I think that's right) or a 5% advantage for opposite-handed matchups.
3/4/2011 9:52 AM
it's 2.
3/4/2011 9:52 AM
Thanks. I looked for the FAQ on this also before posting and also couldn't find this. Did a FAQ on this once exist and then was taken down?

In the few leagues I'm in, it seems that the variation I see in individual player splits are greater than can be explained by random variation off of a generic split %. But probably I'm seeing only what I want to see in the stats. And I don't have the time or inclination to do any kind of rigorous analysis of this.

Two somewhat related questions.

1) It appears that individual GB/FB% tendencies are coded in here. Is there a FAQ on this, or any other information?
2) For hitters especially, is there any coding in of pull vs. spray tendencies? 

Thanks again for the info!
3/4/2011 11:14 AM
Posted by jayjelinek on 3/4/2011 11:14:00 AM (view original):
Thanks. I looked for the FAQ on this also before posting and also couldn't find this. Did a FAQ on this once exist and then was taken down?

In the few leagues I'm in, it seems that the variation I see in individual player splits are greater than can be explained by random variation off of a generic split %. But probably I'm seeing only what I want to see in the stats. And I don't have the time or inclination to do any kind of rigorous analysis of this.

1) It appears that individual GB/FB% tendencies are coded in here. Is there a FAQ on this, or any other information?

I don't know about (1).

I am 99.999999% sure the answer to (2) is no.
3/4/2011 11:25 AM
Posted by jayjelinek on 3/4/2011 11:14:00 AM (view original):

For #2 the answer is definitely no.

For #1, whether it is a ground ball is determined by the hitter (mostly? totally? I can't remember, I think it's totally). It is not based on their RL G/F numbers but is somehow related to their speed, XBH and possibly AVG and bunt hit numbers.
3/4/2011 11:30 AM
All hitters are assumed to be pull hitters.
3/4/2011 2:21 PM
Question on coding of platoon splits here. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.