Has anyone used the lineup with no RANGE graded B or defense graded below B?  How did it pan out for you?
3/4/2011 3:37 PM
Its WIS' goal (at least i assume) to price all players accourding to their value, so in theory all players should be useable. Unfortunately they don't price poor fielders well. They just cost too much. I'd say players with b/b fielding ratings are probably priced decently. If you have a good offensive concept going your team should play fine.
3/5/2011 2:15 AM
Before the last update, you could create a competitive team that way, now as Boog says, they cost too much.

I did try it anyway tho.  I won my division and 95 games in the first post update champs league with this line-up:
 My lineup:
'98 Hendrenson-LF
'92 Daly- C
'01 Freeman (he is actually D/A, but 1st base FP means nothing in the sim)
'23 Cy Williams RF
'95 Boggs-3B
'91 Phillips-2B
'82 Smith-SS
'84 Pucket-CF

I won 88 games with this bunch (I don't recall the lineup I used):
Mark Grace 1992
Troy Tulowitzki 2007
Darin Erstad 2002
Mike Cameron 2003
Billy North 1973
Hughie Critz 1933
Kid Elberfeld 1911
Johnny Roseboro 1964
I was really trying to test the sim with this team (again, right after the last update).  I recall being rather unimpressed by most of these guys' defense.
3/5/2011 2:50 AM
I just won an OL championship with basically a D- lineup which had only 15 plus plays and 109 minus plays for the season. But I had 08 Walsh, 15 Alexander and Chamberlain to go with them.
4/2/2011 11:15 PM
I've been working on a team for an OL/CL for about a week now that will likely commit 400+ errors with 100+ - plays and I'd be surprised if they got more than 15 + plays...
4/3/2011 1:40 AM
Wow, just4me!!!  That's some serious work there. lol
4/3/2011 2:28 PM
I work on teams for longer than that.  I keep a ridiculous number of teams in queue in my Team Center waiting to go -- sometimes 30 or 40 at a time -- and I tweak and putter with them obsessively during the two months I am playing out my current batch -- theoretically making them better based on what I'm learning about my current teams but probably making them worse.

I will see boogerlips use somebody obscure from the 1880's or 1890's with no performance history or see schwarze come up with some brilliant team of 1880's/1890's players with A+ range and blinding speed (which he then instructs never to steal, I guess because their SB/SBA percentages aren't to his liking), and I will go back and start incorporating those changes in various teams.  Or I will decide that my 5-pitcher bullpens should be 6-pitcher bullpens or my 6-pitcher bullpens should be 7-pitcher bullpens, etc.  I think my best teams are those that I draft in 10 minutes and leave alone.

My great dream is to win a WS someday with a team of players who have no SIM performance histories at all -- all my own discoveries.  I'm still about a million light years from that goal.
4/3/2011 10:16 PM
psst, boogerlips is from Missouri. Not someone you should be following as an example.

I'm just saying...
4/3/2011 10:54 PM

The is me an' my brother cletus. an' our two hounds.

4/4/2011 1:06 AM
Truemen - me, being from Iowa, have to agree with you. Just saying....
4/7/2011 6:56 PM
So while we're talking about range, do range numbers affect the pitcher's OAV and WHIP numbers much? I have a team full of D-range guys, and my pitchers have OAV numbers that are much higher than their performance average. I hate errors, so I have been focusing on that. Should I put more focus on range?
4/7/2011 7:05 PM
Posted by just4me on 4/3/2011 1:40:00 AM (view original):
I've been working on a team for an OL/CL for about a week now that will likely commit 400+ errors with 100+ - plays and I'd be surprised if they got more than 15 + plays...
Thats 166+ innings of pitching!
4/8/2011 12:52 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 4/7/2011 7:05:00 PM (view original):
So while we're talking about range, do range numbers affect the pitcher's OAV and WHIP numbers much? I have a team full of D-range guys, and my pitchers have OAV numbers that are much higher than their performance average. I hate errors, so I have been focusing on that. Should I put more focus on range?
+ and - plays will affect your pitchers oavg numbers.  As far as if you should draft better range it depends on your pitching.  The better your pitchers the more neutral you want your range in the MI (C+/B-).   
4/8/2011 1:01 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.