FAQs on Progressives Topic

because you're creating currency out of thin air

say i trade my 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and 10 next year for your Babe Ruth

then i keep 25
5/1/2016 11:54 AM
because IF you keep all 25 roster players you don't get a 1st Rd. pick! Without a 1st Rd. pick you have nothing to trade for that 1st Rd. pick you USED in that last draft! Effectively getting to have your 1st rd. pick from your next draft, trading it for a better 1st rd. pick in the current draft, and then officially declaring (thru your Keeper List--with 25 active players) that you actually don't HAVE a 1st Rd. pick (which you already traded!).

This ain't the Fed. Reserve Bank. This is baseball. You get 25 roster spaces EACH year. No more, no less. You're wanting 26 in that second year, the way I see it.
5/1/2016 12:10 PM
I am trying to get my head around your complaint. You are allowed 25 roster spots, plus players on IR. If you keep all 25 and your roster is full, how do you feel entitled to have more players? Your roster has a finite number attached. You are forced to decide to keep, or discard, in order to utilize a draft pick. The draft is provided to replenish, not hoard...

You could trade the pick in exchange for a future pick. Utilize it when needed later. Remember that draft picks are only given to fill open spots on your roster. You don't just get an extra magazine full of bullets.
5/1/2016 12:39 PM (edited)
address the Babe
5/1/2016 12:39 PM
so then next season I trade you the Babe back for your 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and 10

we two dragons shall concoct us a pile
5/1/2016 12:44 PM
The rule in #2 is flawed, or your interpretation is wrong. You wouldn't draft Clark, so that is a moot point. Bere is your keeper. You should not be required to release or trade him.
5/1/2016 12:49 PM (edited)
Posted by bagchucker on 5/1/2016 12:44:00 PM (view original):
so then next season I trade you the Babe back for your 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and 10

we two dragons shall concoct us a pile
Didn't you say you were leaving?
5/1/2016 12:48 PM
Yeah I don't get it either. I could see having to drop a player prior to adding if you are at 25.
5/1/2016 12:52 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 5/1/2016 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I am astonished this is so difficult.

Scenario 1: I have 24 guys I'm going to keep. Jason Bere is my 24th keeper. I get 1 draft pick, a first rounder. I draft Tony Clark. I trade Clark for Drabek. i now have Drabek instead of Clark. I have 25 players.

Scenario 2: I trade the #1 draft pick in advance for Drabek, i now have Drabek instead of Clark (the guy I would have drafted with the #1pick.) i have 25 players.

scenarios 1 and 2 are exactly the same.

But in leagues with this dumb rule, in scenario 2 i must cut Bere, and use a 2nd round pick to replace him. So the 2 scenarios are no longer the same.
Your scenario #1 is flawed!!

As you described it, Bere was your 25th keeper, not 24th as you are NOW trying to spin it.

You had a full roster (with Bere) and didn't want to drop him for that #1 pick you traded away earlier.

As I see it, it is you that is having the trouble understanding things.
You can't trade something you don't have! Without cutting Bere (or someone else) you have NO 1st rd. pick!
What's so hard?

And I AM getting your point. When you trade away a future pick you MUST understand that you'll have to "possess" that pick to trade it. That means you'll have to cut player(s) so that you have the roster position available. To either trade or pick a guy. You already made that choice, a season ahead. You TRADED it!
End of argument.

I suspect this is why many leagues have rules detailing the trading of future draft picks, some even prevent that occurrence.

Though I do respect your many teams and length of experience and knowledge here on WIS, I just think you're wrong on this one.

I would NOT play (intentionally) in a league that allowed the trading of future season draft picks under the scenario you are requesting.
5/1/2016 1:15 PM
it's always good to trade a chimera
5/1/2016 1:32 PM
If you want to go beyond 25 rostered players, that is of your doing, not a rule problem.
5/1/2016 1:32 PM
There is no difference. contrarian23 is adding 2 and 2 and getting 4. The other people in this debate are adding 2 and 2 and insisting we subtract one to get 4 when in fact subtracting 1 from 2 plus 2 equals 3. Sigh.

Dear bagchucker, please read "Modern Money Theory" by L. Randall Wray.

By the way, is anyone here familiar with how banks create money (nearly 90% of all money created in the US for example)?

They do not wait for me to deposit money in my account - say $100 and then say they can lend you $100 but not more cause that is all they have. No, they loan money to bagchucker and CREATE money out of thin air by depositing money in an account in his name. They deposit that money not by taking physical dollar bills or gold and moving it from one room to another. They do it by hitting keys on a computer keyboard and creating money out of thin air in the form of debt and a bank account for bagchucker.

THEN, when I deposit money in my account, that goes to covering the small percentage of outstanding loans the bank has out - a cover required of banks by the Federal Government but which is a small percentage of the loans and indeed of the actual money in existence and circulating in the economy, created out of thin air by banks.

But contrarian23, is NOT creating currency or anything else out of nothing, but out of actually existing opportunities for replacement value of players, starting and ending up with 25 players at the end of the process, not 24 by having to give up a player as you are all suggesting.
5/1/2016 5:23 PM
I still don't agree it's the same thing. It's the price you pay to trade a "future" draft pick. IF Bere is cut getting you to 24. THEN IF you want Bere (or someone better or different) as your 25th player then you can pick him with your second rd. pick. BUT you don't (supposedly) have a 1st rounder............you traded it! How you can trade something you don't possess is beyond my understanding I reckon.

The price you pay............. as I said earlier. It's an old Everly Brothers song.
5/1/2016 7:09 PM
The only way to *use* the 1st round pick (either by picking or trading it) is to have 24 keepers.
And since you have already *used* it (in the trade), you must now meet the requirement by having only 24 keepers.
5/1/2016 8:17 PM
I agree with you contrarian...and I'll double down and say that this argument is moot.

You traded the 1995 1st round pick slot to the other owner, so you don't even own that slot anymore. The other owner does, and his roster must reflect the need to cut players to use the additional pick slot he now owns. You should be able to keep the maximum number of players because the OTHER owner who is using your pick slot is cutting a player to use that pick slot.

I've never understood why you only get as many picks as you need anyway. If the draft is 12 rounds long, then all owners should have 12 rounds worth of picks...once you get to 25 players, you obviously can't pick anymore, but why shouldn't you still own the rest of the picks? You can pass each round once you have a complete roster, or try to trade them to another team. In real life, no one looks at a team's roster and says "Team A has 35 guys on the 40 man roster and team B has 32, so team A only gets 5 picks and team B gets 8". That has always been crazy to me. If one team gets 12 picks, all teams should get 12 picks...it shouldn't matter if you can only use 3 of the 12.

5/1/2016 10:14 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
FAQs on Progressives Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.