Intentional Walks Setting Topic

Does anyone use anything other than: never, rare, or infrequent?

If you use: average, aggressive, or very aggressive....  why?
3/6/2011 3:23 PM

From what I understand, the most common reason for using 'average' 'aggressive' or 'very agg' is wanting to win fewer games.

3/6/2011 3:46 PM
I have used average or aggresive for series of games where I am facing an exceptionally unbalanced line-up (always in low caps).  Also, as maligned as IBBs are-- and in general I think they are one of the worst plays in baseball-- there is a time when they make sense.  That is, when you are faced with a potential walk-off hit and there is a big drop-off between the players at bat and in the on-deck circle (or bench), it can be a stastically valid play.

But since there isn't a setting for using the IBB only when stastically valid, I suggest keeping your IBB setting at a 1 or 0.
3/6/2011 6:31 PM
My IBB is at 1. Every team, period, no questions, never changing setting.
3/6/2011 10:37 PM
Which makes a point..... Why have the other settings? They seem pointless to me.
3/7/2011 6:22 PM
I ALWAYS keep my setting at ZERO.

However, last night, while playing live, I actually did issue an IBB for the first time ever.  I normally abhor the strategy, but I was worried that I was about to get burned.  The situation was:

Top 10, tied 3-3
2 outs, '96 Mariano Rivera on the mound
Runners on 2nd and 3rd
'49 Ted Williams due up
'92 Frank Thomas on deck

I walked Williams, and Thomas popped to 3rd.  I won in the bottom of the 11th on a Billy North double.

Sometimes, the IBB can work, most of the time, it can't.  I still keep my setting at ZERO.
3/8/2011 11:46 AM
In the Theme league I'm in where the benches are deep I leave it at average.  If a HR is needed, sparky mine as well pinch hit the lefty HR hitter vs. the righty reliever.  Open Leagues I leave it at 1. You never know what situation may help in any given circumstance.
OOps I got confused with pinch hitting and intentonal walks, never mind me, I'm lost
3/8/2011 10:02 PM (edited)
Intentional Walks Setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.