Line-up efficiency Topic

In general I understand how the sim works, but one topic has mostly eluded me.  How do you draft to create lin-up efficiency. 
3/7/2011 12:43 AM
I'll say this....you aren't going to find anything enlightening from another user. 99% of them know equal to or less than what you know about lineup efficiency. If you want to learn, you'll have to figure it out for yourself.
SimMatchup: Great tool. Take identical lineups and play them against each other a couple hundred times. One team with maybe two hitters switched around. Small changes can make a big difference. Record the data.
OOTP5: Out of the park baseball is a free baseball game/simulator thingy you can download. Its just a random program I like to use to study scoring efficiency. You can create your own players and their attributes, like specific avg, number of HRs 2Bs etc...You can set it up to play the same season over and over again (helps). This really gives you some flexibilty to explore. Make a whole lineup of .500OBP guys. Test the difference between 2bs and 3bs. Put a HR hitter in the 3,6,9 spots. Let your imagination go wild...
Ditch any third party lineup analyzers. I remember you posted a link a yr or so ago to one, and it was a joke. A lineup of all .900OBP players will score around 220 runs a game, not 15.
You can spend a million hours learning what works and what doesn't, and still not know but a drop in a bucket of water, but every little bit helps. In 100% of my leagues, including HBD, I score more runs with less, than any other team.
3/7/2011 2:28 PM (edited)
How to create a mystique in 3 easy steps. 1. Think of a good name for a strategy. 2. post here claiming this strategy is important. 3. refuse to tell anybody what it means.
3/7/2011 2:14 AM
Posted by grizzly_one on 3/7/2011 12:02:00 PM (view original):
I usually bat a weak hitting pitcher lead-off and base my line-up off of PA rather than quality. I believe line-up efficiency is over rated.
The secret of the Grizzly Fatigue Strategy is revealed by its creator!!! 

3/7/2011 4:13 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Here are my general strategies:  Draft your lineup so that each slot has more real life PA than the slot that follows.  For example, #1 - 720 PA, #2 - 705 PA, #3 - 690 PA, etc.  Have the #1 and #2 slots be high OBP, low/mid SLG.  Have ur highest OPS at #3 and go in descending order of OPS (it also helps if that also goes in descending order of OBP) for slots #4 through #9.
3/7/2011 11:38 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 3/7/2011 2:14:00 AM (view original):
How to create a mystique in 3 easy steps. 1. Think of a good name for a strategy. 2. post here claiming this strategy is important. 3. refuse to tell anybody what it means.
Boog didn't invent the concept...  I'd define line-up efficiency as how well each offensive event contributes to a run or Actual Runs / Sum{RC}.

EDIT- That should be Sim Runs/ Sum [Sim RC]
3/11/2011 12:56 AM (edited)
Well my last team led the league at 106.4%  I also won the WS and the TOC...

Boog, where do your teams generally run?
3/8/2011 10:10 PM
Posted by zubinsum on 3/8/2011 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Boog didn't invent the concept...  I'd define line-up efficiency as how well each offensive event contributes to a run or Actual Runs / Sum{RC}.
I didn't invent the chicken, just the chicken sandwich.
3/9/2011 12:53 AM
Posted by zubinsum on 3/8/2011 10:08:00 PM (view original):
I don't consider 'RC' to be an accurate stat, but thats an interesting way to look at it.
3/9/2011 12:54 AM
The only league I have up that would make sense to analyze that way was at 110%. Rbag won the league at 98%. I don't know how to check everybody's team without clicking on them one by one?
3/9/2011 1:00 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 3/9/2011 1:01:00 AM (view original):
The only league I have up that would make sense to analyze that way was at 110%. Rbag won the league at 98%. I don't know how to check everybody's team without clicking on them one by one?
I looked at the league spreadsheet at a league that was finished.   I think R/RC is a pretty good way of measuring line-up efficiency, since we are trying to measure how well you create runs based using the individual offensive events of your line-up.  It also eliminates drafting efficiencies (ie drafting bargains) and luck.  If the goal is to measure how much better your line-up is than the sum of its parts, then R/RC is really the only convienient objective measure.  The problems I do see with using RC is that it adjusts out GIDP, SH and SF which are largely atributable to line-up construction.  The only alternative I see would be to use OPS*PA with adjustments for SB and CS, but that would get into a pretty messy formula.

To bad there isn't more interest in this topic.  I would be fun to put together a Line-up efficiency league where the winners would be the teams above .500 with the most efficient line-up. 

3/9/2011 2:18 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 3/9/2011 1:01:00 AM (view original):
I have one a 110.3%.  I won 82 games.  Your formula sucks.
3/9/2011 6:15 AM
1234 Next ▸
Line-up efficiency Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.