Year 36 should be another excellent year for the USA South conference. With 3 teams ranked in the top 25 and another 2 receiving votes, the conference will be one of the best in Div 3.
The East Division:
1. Methodist: Jaycee55’s team boosts a #7 preseason ranking this season. Jaycee had his worst season as the coach for the Monarchs last season. Their 14-14 record was below the standard he has set in Fayetteville. This year’s team is ready to return to the top of the East Division. Sophomore Colby Rempe is ready to lead a team featuring seniors at every other position in the starting lineup.
2. Greensboro: Wolf44’s Pride clinched their first divison title since season 8 last season. He has a very talented team returning to Greensboro this season led by senior swing man Robert Teets. Replacing all-time leading scorer Leo Shafer will be a challenge for Coach Wolf, but look for the Pride to challenge for the East Division title and return to the National Tourny.
3. Averett: The Cougars will continue to improve in Buckeye101’s third season in Danville. Coach Buckeye will have to replace 1100 point scorer John Jenson, but he will have a talented senior PG, Jefferson Fisk, to guide an experienced team that will try to end a 9 year postseason drought. There is much anticipation to see a very talented group of freshmen in Danville. The future appears to be bright for the Averett Cougars.
4. Chowan: The Hawks return 7 seniors this season, but I think this team will struggle because of the shocking news of their great coach leaving after only 1 season in Murfreesboro. This year’s team is good enough to pull off an upset or 2 against the stronger teams in the conference, but I believe they will struggle.
5. Ferrum: Coach TCole23 will have a very young team this season at Ferrum. The young, talented Panthers will probably not win many games this season, but they will get plenty of experience on the court and guide a promising future for Ferrum’s basketball program.
6. Christopher Newport: WendyW’s departure after only 2 seasons in Newport News will doom this year’s team. Juniors Aubrey Peterson and Ronnie Beach will lead the Captains this season. With a talented a group of sophomores, this team could be competitive in the future if they hire a good coach.