Pitcher to hit as DH? Topic

Is it possible to set my lineup in a DH league such that the pitcher will hit?  I know it sounds silly, but I'm short PAs, and I want to rest my better hitters in certain situations to preserve them throughout the season.  Any thoughts?
3/10/2011 6:32 PM
Can't be done. Just like you can't set a pitcher to play another position even if he has defensive ratings for that position.
3/10/2011 7:13 PM
It's a little tricky, but there is a way to get sparky to start your pitchers at DH. I'm at work and on my phone so I can't really detail how to do it now, but when I get a chance I'll post details.
3/10/2011 7:37 PM

just4me, I don't know whether I should hold out hope that there is a back-door way to make this happen, or if you are trolling me!

3/11/2011 3:07 PM
somebody once found a programming loophole. I seem to remember it was cumbersome, something like fatigueing all of your bench players.
3/11/2011 4:34 PM
Oh, trust me, everybody is fatigued...
3/11/2011 7:14 PM
Now that we're paying for a pitcher's offensive prowess (thank you Mr. Bob C.) it would be a nice touch to allow pitchers as a PH option in the advanced settings.
3/11/2011 8:04 PM
Yeah, like rbow said, it's got to do with a fatigued bench.

Set your player hierarchy for DH with all of your fatigued players (and another fatigued player as your starting DH) and set their autorest to 99. Sparky will skip over them, and as long as you don't have any other hitters on your bench sparky will start one of your pitchers as a DH. It's easier to do if you draft your team with this in mind, as you can draft the minimum number of bench players and all with low PA so they fatigue quicker... but it is doable. You can do this same thing at other positions to get Sparky to start pitchers at other fielding positions as well. I haven't really paid attention to which pitchers Sparky chooses to start, so I don't know if it's based on PA or some other factor.... so don't think you can control which pitcher is (beyond the one) Sparky will use as his goto pitcher.
3/13/2011 1:00 AM
Alright, let's see how this goes.  I've reset the fatigue on my bench to make sure that none of my players are above their threshold.  My player hierarchies for DH is also set.  So, now we will see if this works... my starting pitcher in the next game has the best hitting stats of any of my hurlers, so it'll be interesting to see if Sparky has him hit as his own DH...

Thanks for the help! 
3/13/2011 8:09 PM
Well, this didn't work as hoped/expected.  Instead of going to one of the pitchers to fill the DH spot in the lineup, Sparky sent out one of the fatigued players (who was at "15" on the fatigue scale).

Sigh.  It could be a very long season.
3/14/2011 7:25 AM
did you set the whole bench to rest ?
3/15/2011 9:30 AM
Negative.  However, they were all below their auto-rest setting.  Sparky played the guy who was in the lineup, who was well below his autorest setting.  I can try again by putting everybody on the bench at rest.  Can't hurt to try, but at this point I've basically given up hope...
3/15/2011 9:00 PM
I didn't think they closed this up, but maybe they did and I missed it... 
3/16/2011 3:02 PM
I believe this is now a closed loophole, as I tried to use it a couple months ago in an "extreme hitting vs extreme pitching" league.  If injuries are turned off, Sparky will never put in a pitcher as DH, rest and auto-rest settings be damned.

The only way to make it work is if injuries are turned on, in which case you must injure your starting DH and every single bench player and THEN Sparky puts the pitcher in.  I just used that to get Brooks Krieschenk (sp? not looking it up right now) in at center field, where he was on pace for 100+ HR and a gold glove before the league got re-started and injuries switched to "off".
3/21/2011 4:54 PM
Well, shoot.  I may just barely be able to get through the season with enough PAs to keep all my DHs and outfielders in the high 80s.  Would have loved to have spread some of those PAs to my pitching staff, but oh well.

Thanks for the advice - was worth a shot!
3/27/2011 11:03 PM
Pitcher to hit as DH? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.