Who do you think will be the Next Big thing. Topic

First it was Caruthers, then Joss, now Maddux and Martinez (although Joss is still used alot) who do you think the next one will be. I personally think Luis Tiant 1968 or Christy Mathewson 1909. Who do you think?
3/12/2011 6:44 PM
I am waiting for the 1930's and 1894 pitchers to come back.
3/12/2011 7:00 PM
My secret is 1933 Carl Hubbell, total beast.
3/12/2011 7:05 PM
Tiant sucks.  Terrible normalization.  Anybody who thinks that 1968 pitchers are going to be the next big thing either doesn't understand this game very well or is anticipating a huge change in the salary structure.
3/12/2011 7:27 PM
I don't understand it that well, because I'm only 3 games into my 1st full season. I've been mostly doing spring leagues. So dahsdebater, who do you think it'll be?
3/12/2011 7:35 PM
I've only played 1 OL in the past year, so I don't really know what makes "big things" happen.  Joss and other quality deadball starters are objectively underpriced relative to their impact on fielding.  I imagine if that overadjustment to the prices when fielding became normalized is ever rectified then it'll be harder to find such large classes of underpriced players, but some will always exist.  Low-walk pitchers have always been better deals than low-OAV pitchers.  I would think at some point we'll go back to the era of having huge numbers of A-Dome teams with speedsters with low K-rates in the lineup (contact rates are cheap) and high-OAV, low-BB/100 numbers.  Unless that's already happening again...
3/12/2011 8:00 PM
you never said who you think will be the next big thing. This is my 1st league period. not just open league. I had never used Tiant, just looked at his stats, and they were good. I didn't know.
3/12/2011 8:06 PM
68 Tiant is underrated imho.  I used him twice at high caps (~120M) in the recent WIS Championship, and he was very effective in both cases.  If put in the right situation, he can be very successful.
3/12/2011 8:45 PM
I am waiting for something to shake up the sim.  Before the last update, you could still field a awesome team without cookies; not so much now.  '08 Joss is a bigger cookie now than '86 Carithers ever was.
3/12/2011 9:43 PM
I don't know, some cookies were omnipresent.  The Tony Phillips, Richie Ashburn, teams sucked.

The Cy Williams, Gravy Craavath, Babe Ruth teams will reappear as soon as HR's become easier to hit.

3/12/2011 9:51 PM
Fatigued pitchers might be the answer
3/12/2011 9:58 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/12/2011 9:51:00 PM (view original):
I don't know, some cookies were omnipresent.  The Tony Phillips, Richie Ashburn, teams sucked.

The Cy Williams, Gravy Craavath, Babe Ruth teams will reappear as soon as HR's become easier to hit.

Yes, but you could still create an elite team without Tony or Richie.  I'm not sure one can put together (a non-fatigue) elite team without a cookie pitcher or two.
3/13/2011 4:05 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/12/2011 9:58:00 PM (view original):
Fatigued pitchers might be the answer
ahh, from the mouth of New Jersians....
3/13/2011 8:31 AM

That's the saddest thing for me in WIS ... is the inability of nearly every historical non-Deadball MLB slugger to hit a respectable # of HR's.

Because of the stupid proliferation of broken HR/9-statted Deadball Pitchers.

Sluggers who consistently could hit 30 HR's a year from the 70s onward are just crap.
3/13/2011 9:46 AM
Posted by zubinsum on 3/13/2011 4:05:00 AM (view original):

Yes, but you could still create an elite team without Tony or Richie.  I'm not sure one can put together (a non-fatigue) elite team without a cookie pitcher or two.
I just clinched my division with 20 games remaining. My rotation is Russ Ford, Babe Adams, Tiny Bonham, and Harry Krause.  I realize that these aren't exactly obscure (they all have about 70 or more uses in their performance history), but I'm well on my way to 100+ wins with Joss, Pedro, or Maddux.

I won't mention that lineup is embarrasingly cut-and-paste.
3/13/2011 10:17 AM
12 Next ▸
Who do you think will be the Next Big thing. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.