Managing In Sim Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Each pitcher/batter confrontation is a unique event, no human element. Set your lineup as you normally would, move players that get off to a slow start if you like. When thay start to hit again re-adjust and so on. Unless a player is having a really garbage year you may want to hit the WW but don't be too hasty. Usually good hitters will come around to their expected performance levels.
3/18/2011 7:39 PM
It's pretty safe to say that there are no "human" effects - by which I assume you mean psychological - built into the SIM at all.  Every plate appearance (for both hitters and pitchers) and every fielding opportunity is simulated by a purely mathematical algorithm based on a small number of underlying statistics.

While I obviously have not seen the exact code, I think it is a very safe assumption that there are no elements programmed into the SIM that incorporate things like batting order protection (other than the possibility that your guy may get intentionally walked), clutch hitting, streakiness, "closer mentality", pitching to the score, veteran leadership, etc. 
3/18/2011 8:41 PM
I think "protecting hitters" is a myth in real life as well as the sim. Makes very little difference. TLR loves batting the Cards' worst hitter 2nd so he "sees great pitches" but all it does is cost us runs. But thats life with TLR...
3/20/2011 3:17 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 3/20/2011 3:17:00 AM (view original):
I think "protecting hitters" is a myth in real life as well as the sim. Makes very little difference. TLR loves batting the Cards' worst hitter 2nd so he "sees great pitches" but all it does is cost us runs. But thats life with TLR...
Most saberticians agree with you.
3/20/2011 12:37 PM
I once told someone I was a sabertician and they laughed at me. True story.
3/20/2011 1:24 PM
I read an analysis of Barry Bonds in his superhuman seasons with the Giants, in one of those "hidden baseball" books, I wish I could remember which one, but who was batting behind Bonds in those seasons had a strong correlation to his production, and his intentional walks.
3/20/2011 4:50 PM
Didn't Jeff Kent hit behind Bonds?
3/20/2011 9:35 PM
Posted by pfattkatt on 3/20/2011 4:50:00 PM (view original):
I read an analysis of Barry Bonds in his superhuman seasons with the Giants, in one of those "hidden baseball" books, I wish I could remember which one, but who was batting behind Bonds in those seasons had a strong correlation to his production, and his intentional walks.
Thats's why they used steroids also.
3/22/2011 12:45 AM
Managing In Sim Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.