Asking for opinions Topic

Do starting pitchers do well in relief? For example, 1938 Dizzy Dean only pitched 74 innings for the Cubs (because he was hurt, I believe) but was 7-1, 1.81 ERA, 0.95 WHIP. Do you guys think he would be effective in relief in SIM world?
3/19/2011 7:08 PM
We'v never had this thread before. We'll have to do some preliminary research and get back to you...
3/19/2011 10:27 PM
3 things. He'll perform just as well in relief.
You won't get as many innings out of him.
There are people who disagree with both of these opinions.
3/20/2011 12:27 AM
No disrespect rbow, because I know that you know what you're talking about, but would you care to explain why wouldn't someone be able to get 74 innings out of Dean in relief when his numbers indicate that he clearly has the stamina to pitch more than one inning per appearance (5+) and where his history shows that he's averaged about 80 innings per season with more than 1100 uses?
3/20/2011 3:42 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Well *^&*. This guy needs to know his %^#@. So hurry the #&$# up, huh?
3/20/2011 9:04 PM
Posted by badcentury on 3/19/2011 7:08:00 PM (view original):
Do starting pitchers do well in relief? For example, 1938 Dizzy Dean only pitched 74 innings for the Cubs (because he was hurt, I believe) but was 7-1, 1.81 ERA, 0.95 WHIP. Do you guys think he would be effective in relief in SIM world?
Last I checked statisticaly, SPs do as well in relief as they do as starters.  However, to my knowledge Admin has been silent on the subject.
3/20/2011 9:22 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 3/20/2011 12:27:00 AM (view original):
3 things. He'll perform just as well in relief.
You won't get as many innings out of him.
There are people who disagree with both of these opinions.
I agree with the first statement. I disagree with the 2nd.

The only difference in the innings you can get might be the last few innings you could eke out once he reaches his max.

Say Dean can throw 85 innings and then he will stop recovering. If he is at 84 IP and you use him for a 1 IP relief appearance, then he's done at 85. If he's at 84 and you start him for 7 innings, he's done at  91.
3/21/2011 11:37 AM
I don't have any proof, just based on my observations and an old comment. I'd expect to get 90+ innings from somebody like Dean as a starter but only seem to get about 85 in relief. maybe I'm just not using them right but that's been my observation. several years ago Admin said they made a fatigue change for SP in relief with a high pitch count, their example was if he throws 75 pitches in relief he'll fatigue as if he threw 100 pitches. I don't lknow if that comment was accurate or if that change is still in effect.
3/21/2011 4:12 PM (edited)
I would guess that the relief issue is... It's tough to repeatedly pitch a guy on back-to-back days.  Combine that with pinch-hitter replacements and it's tough to get enough actual long(er) relief outings out of a setup-quality pitcher.
3/21/2011 4:25 PM
starters you turn into relievers generally do better than relievers you use as relievers

3/21/2011 8:07 PM
Asking for opinions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.