Dodger Stadium Topic

I haven't played in Dodger Stadium much, and haven't had much success when I have used it.  But I'm going to be stuck with it in an upcoming league (120 mil cap, but will play more like 110 I suspect.)

What're the best strategies for the park?  In particular, I'm wondering if people have any opinion about how the -1/-1 for HR plays out.  Is this closer to a -2, or with the +2 for hits do their end up being a decent amount of HR in Chavez Ravine?

If HR really are suppressed, I guess it's best to go with high avg players, preferably with speed?

To take a concrete example, I've got the rights to Darrell Evans and George Kell; can use any of their seasons.
How much production, and production/$$$ could I suspect from the 2.

Evans' 73 season normalized looks like      285/407/560, with      15 1b#     4 2b#     1 3b#     6 hr#     17 k#     16 bb#. Fielding is 953/3.27

Kell's 46 season normalized:                         326/372/441 with          24 1b#    4 2b#     1 3b#     0 hr#     4 k#     6 bb#. Fielding is 983/3.07

Granted that Evans will ultimately put up more production, I'm wondering if it's enough to justify the price difference - 7.6 mil for Evans, 5.2 for Kell (call it 6 with the backup I'd need to mae up the for differerence in PA).  Are Kell's singles and fielding a sufficiently better fit for Dodger Stadium that it'd be best to go with him and spend the 1.6 mil I save somewhere else?

3/24/2011 11:57 AM
In my experience, HRs are suppressed pretty well. I'd probably take Kell and look to add offense somewhere else.
3/24/2011 12:15 PM
... thanks.  That's my inclination too, but mostly just b/c that's the kind of player I like better. So it's good to be able to view it as the right decision as well as the more fun one.
3/24/2011 12:21 PM
Definately Kell.  High average holds up better than high obp in the sim.  3% greater FP is better than .20 extra range factor. 
3/24/2011 9:57 PM
Kell.  And FWIW, I played in an OL a year or two ago with a guy who yapped all season about what a hitting machine Ralph Garr was in Dodger Stadium. 
3/25/2011 4:14 AM
Dodger Stadium Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.