Unusual Ending Topic

I just won a game with a walk-off steal of home in the bottom of the 14th. My pitcher grounds out. 1887 Arlie Latham hits a triple. 1987 Vince Coleman draws a walk. Latham and Coleman each steal a base. Latham scores.
3/24/2011 7:28 PM
I have had '84 Raines make a walk off steal with '15 Howard stealing second.
3/24/2011 9:49 PM
Posted by nasty_llama on 3/24/2011 7:28:00 PM (view original):
I just won a game with a walk-off steal of home in the bottom of the 14th. My pitcher grounds out. 1887 Arlie Latham hits a triple. 1987 Vince Coleman draws a walk. Latham and Coleman each steal a base. Latham scores.
This is one of those SIM anomolies proving that this is a computer with no emotions.  Obviously, that would be insane to even try in real life.
3/25/2011 11:50 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Nice work as always crazy.
3/25/2011 1:12 PM
It gets even better.  From Brummer's wikipedia page:

Glenn Edward Brummer (born November 23, 1954, in Olney, Illinois) was a Major League Baseball catcher.

Signed by the St. Louis Cardinals as an amateur free agent in 1974, Brummer made his Major League Baseballdebut with the St. Louis Cardinals on May 25, 1981, and appeared in his final major league game on October 6, 1985.

Brummer was a member of the St. Louis Cardinals team that defeated the Milwaukee Brewers in the 1982 World Series. On August 22nd of that year, he stole third and home with two outs in the bottom of the 12th inning to give the Cardinals a 5-4 win over the San Francisco Giants. They were two of his four career steals.

3/25/2011 1:17 PM
Clearly the wikipedia entry is wrong though (or I guess the b-r boxscore might be, but I'm inclined to believe b-r first.)

The boxscore does not show a steal of 3rd, only a steal of home.

Still pretty dang cool though.
3/25/2011 1:45 PM
And more.  Amazing catch, crazy.

06/11/2002  3:18 PM ET 
Where have you gone, Glenn Brummer?

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

He's an unlikely cult hero. So unlikely, in fact, that he didn't even realize he was one.

That's just what Glenn Brummer is among Cardinals fans, though. Thanks to a single play on Aug. 22, 1982, he's remembered to this day.

With two out in the bottom of the 12th inning of a Giants-Cardinals game at Busch Stadium, Brummer stole home for a 5-4 win. His name isn't exactly spoken in hushed tones among St. Louis fans, but it is still spoken.

"A cult hero? I am? I really don't know how it feels," said Brummer, who now serves as the hitting coach for the Class A Port Charlotte Rangers in the Florida State League. "Gosh, the thing is about it, I have fans from all over the United states come up to me down here and talk to me about my steal of home. They bring that up all the time."

Brummer batted .251 with exactly one homer in his brief Major League career. He got into 178 games, the vast majority of them with the Cardinals, over five seasons. Brummer never scored or drove in 10 runs in a season.

But he contributed to a championship team, the '82 World Series-winning Cards, and if it's special to fans, it's even more so to Brummer.

"For me it was the most exciting part of my life because I am from that area," Brummer said. "I went to school in Effingham, Ill. I was born and raised a Cardinal fan. Wow. The day I signed in 1974, I said that was the most exciting day of my life. And then to make it to the big leagues and play in the World Series, that topped it. There's nothing above that."

He's never wanted to leave the game of baseball, although he almost had no choice a couple of times. Almost as soon as he was done playing, Brummer got into coaching. But the work hasn't always been all that easy to come by.

"Once I was out, I stopped playing, I couldn't get back in for one year. Nineteen eighty-eight, that's the year I sat out. And then Lee Thomas called me in '89 when he took over with the Phillies and then I became the catching instructor for seven years. And then three years as a hitting coach in Clearwater. So I had 10 years with the Phillies.

"I had a couple years with the Cardinals, right after I got let go by the Phillies. [Mike Jorgensen, then St. Louis' director of player development] gave me a job at [Double-A] Little Rock, then the following year at [Class A] Potomac. Then after that they hired some more people and ran out of room and I caught on with Pittsburgh and worked in the Gulf Coast League last year. This year I got a call Christmas Eve by Trey Hillman, the [Texas] farm director, and he offered me the job down here in Port Charlotte, so I took it. The phone wasn't ringing off the hook. There [were] a lot of question marks about baseball at that time, with contraction. I took the job and I'm very happy."

The repeated changes of organization might shake some guys. In addition, it's hard to miss the fact that after more than 10 years, Brummer is still working in A ball -- as a coach, not a manager.

But that doesn't make much difference to the affable Brummer, who is still doing something he loves: working with young ballplayers. He says he'd like to manage, but that it's not a pressing priority.

"I'd like to take a shot at it," Brummer said. "I really don't have a goal but I'd like to take a shot at it. I like teaching kids. If I'm offered a managing job, I would love to try it, but right now as a coach and an instructor, I'm a teacher in baseball right now."

He jokes that he only claims to be the hitting coach when the team is hitting well -- "When they're not hitting, I'm the first base coach" -- but it's clear that he's got a pretty good gig.

He even runs into some old friends. He hears from former teammates Mike Ramsey and Bruce Sutter, and sees quite a bit of another ex-Cardinal, Ken Oberkfell. "Obie" now manages Port St. Lucie in the Florida State League.

Most of Brummer's focus, though, is on his young charges.

"I was told to work with the hitting, so that's what I do. I throw a lot of batting practice and try to keep them happy. Put a smile on their face every day."

3/25/2011 7:27 PM
Everytime I see pictures of ball players from the early 80s or before, I always think, wow, they are no bigger, probably no stronger (and in the case of Glenn Brummer no faster) than I am.  Yet they could play ball like I could never dream.  Baseball was so cool before flesh covered robots started playing.
3/26/2011 2:06 PM
There was an article in "Baseball Digest" sometime in the 60's, titled "Two outs, two strikes, and a steal of home." Willie Davis was the baserunner, and I believe, if memory serves me correctly, Tommy Davis was the batter. Wille was safe, and the Dodgers won the game.
3/27/2011 11:09 AM
Pfattkatt's memory always serves him correctly.  September 19, 1968 -- Willie Davis stole home in the bottom of the 16th to beat the Phillies 4-3, tying Hal Trosky (the human error machine currently destroying one of my OL teams with his atrocious defense) for latest steal of home to win a ballgame.  I guess you could call these walk off steals.  Davis, BTW, was a Buddhist convert who played with his prayer beads and chanted before every at bat.  I took the below from somewhere or other... hope it's right.

Here are the most audacious home invasions since 1900:
JACK CHESBRO, HIGHLANDERS
July 16, 1904

The New York right-hander, famous for winning 41 games in 1904, became the first pitcher in major league history to execute a "walk off" theft of home when he swiped the dish in the bottom of the 10th to win his own game, 9-8 over the Tigers.
TY COBB, TIGERS
July 12, 1911

In the first inning against the Athletics, Cobb drew a walk off lefty Harry Krause. Then, on consecutive pitches, Cobb swiped second, third and home. Cobb "stole for the cycle" a record four times during his career.
HAL TROSKY, WHITE SOX
May 11,1944

Making a comeback with the White Sox after spending two years in retirement, Trosky swiped home in the top of the 16th inning to break a 2-2 tie and give Chicago a win over the Athletics. Trosky became the first player to execute a straight steal of home in the 16th inning of a game.
DON NEWCOMBE, DODGERS
May 26, 1955

In the ninth inning against Pittsburgh, Newcombe came to bat with two runners aboard and mashed a long fly ball off Elroy Face that fell in for a triple. As Face prepared to deliver his next pitch, Newcomb bolted for home. Face threw wildly to the plate, nearly hitting Newcombe, who beat the tag. Newcombe remains the last pitcher to pull off a straight steal of home.
JACKIE ROBINSON, DODGERS
SEPT. 28, 1955

In the eighth inning of Game 1 of the World Series, the Brooklyn star pulled off what most baseball historians regard as the most famous steal of home. Robinson barely beat the tag by the Yankees' Yogi Berra, who went into an anguished rant over the "safe" call.
VIC POWER, INDIANS
Aug. 14, 1958

Power stole only three bags in 1958, but two were straight steals of home in a 10-inning Cleveland win over the Tigers, enabling Power to become the first to steal home twice in one game in 31 years. Power's first theft, in the eighth inning off pitcher Bill Fischer, tied the score at 9-9. His second swipe, with two out in the bottom of the 10th and Rocky Colavito batting with the bases loaded, was a walk off game-winner.
CHICO RUIZ, REDS
Sept. 21, 1964

After Pete Rose grounded out in the sixth, Ruiz singled and went to third on a Vada Pinson single, who was thrown out trying to take second. That brought Frank Robinson, one of the game's premier hitters, to the plate. The situation hardly called for a steal of home, but Ruiz, who later claimed he'd been green-lighted, took off anyway. He barely beat pitcher Don Mahaffey's throw to catcher Clay Dalrymple. The run stood up, giving Cincinnati a 1-0 win. The Phillies promptly went on a 10-game losing streak and missed winning the pennant by one game.
WILLIE DAVIS, DODGERS
Sept. 19, 1968

With two out in the bottom of the 16th inning, Davis singled, stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch. With rookie reliever Morrie Steevens of the Phillies making his first appearance, Davis welcomed him to the big leagues by swiping home to give the Dodgers a 4-3 victory.
CESAR TOVAR, ROD CAREW, TWINS
May 18, 1969

Tovar, also famous for spoiling five no-hit bids during his major league career, led off the third inning with a single off Detroit starter Mickey Lolich. After Lolich balked him to second, Tovar stole third. Lolich then walked Carew. Two pitches later, Tovar and Carew teamed up on a double steal, Tovar swiping home and Carew pilfering second. Then, with Harmon Killebrew batting, Carew caught Lolich napping and executed a straight steal of home.
LEON DURHAM, ET AL, CUBS
June 10, 1984

In the ninth inning against the Cardinals, Durham led off with a double to center. After Mel Hall and Ron Cey made outs, the Cardinals walked Davis and Larry Bowa intentionally in order to get to pitcher Chris Rainey. But the Cardinals never got to Rainey as Durham stole home, Davis stole third and Bowa stole second, sealing a 2-1 win.
MOST CAREER
Hall of Famer Ty Cobb swiped home plate 54 times during his major league career. Twenty-five of Cobb's 54 home-plate thefts were straight steals.
Player Career Total
Ty Cobb 1905-28 54
Max Carey 1910-29 33
George Burns 1911-25 28
Honus Wagner 1897-17 27
Sherry Magee 1904-19 23
Frank Schulte 1904-18 23
Johnny Evers 1902-29 21
George Sisler 1915-30 20
Frankie Frisch 1919-37 19
Jackie Robinson 1947-56 19
Jimmy Sheckard 1897-13 18
Tris Speaker 1907-28 18
Joe Tinker 1902-16 18
Eddie Collins 1906-30 17
Larry Doyle 1907-20 17
Rod Carew 1967-85 17
MOST IN A SEASON
Year Player / team Total
1912 Ty Cobb, Tigers 8
1946 Pete Reiser, Dodgers 7
1969 Rod Carew, Twins 7
MOST IN A GAME
Date Player / team Total
June 20, 1901 Honus Wagner, Pirates 2
Sept. 30, 1907 Ed Konetchy, Cardinals 2
June 28, 1910 Joe Tinker, Cubs 2
Sept. 18, 1911 Larry Doyle, Giants 2
July 20, 1912 Sherry Magee, Phillies 2
Aug. 11, 1912 Joe Jackson, Indians 2
Aug. 15, 1912 Guy Zinn, Yankees 2
Sept. 16, 1913 Eddie Collins, A's 2
May 1, 1924 Bill Barrett, White Sox 2
Sept. 3, 1927 Doc Gautreau, Braves 2
Aug. 14, 1958 Vic Power, Indians 2
MOST BY A TEAM, SEASON
Year Team Total
1912 New York Yankees 18
1911 Chicago Cubs 17
1912 New York Giants 17
3/27/2011 11:10 PM
Unusual Ending Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.