HaHa that would be funny as hell, he would start reporting me every hour on the hour.  Ok well i'm going to let the trick out to the guys who are reading this thread in this forum (hopefully he isn't reading).  I wanted to wait until like maybe 60 games in so he would have to forfeit all his wins and be 0-60 but his team is so embarrassing that it really doesn't matter.  Ok here it is, the Theme of his league that he created was that our hitter must be from one franchise and the pitchers from another (how original).  Looking at his team he picked the Chicago White Sox for his pitchers.  He has 1888 Frank Dwyer as one of his pitchers, Frank Dwyer in 1888 played for the Chicago White Stockings, now I could be wrong but looking at the thread on here about franchises and looking on baseball-reference.com, the Chicago White Stocking is a Cubs team.  Again I could be wrong but the Chicago White Sox has never had a different name and began play in 1901.  If someone could verify this I would appreciate it and then i'll let our friend know he is and has been playing with an illegal player, what a cheater!!! haha

3/28/2011 2:24 PM
You're correct - the 1888 White Stockings are part of the Cubbie franchise.
3/28/2011 2:47 PM
I run a theme where you have to use players from assigned franchises in seasons they didn't play for the assigned franchises, and that little mistake crops up a lot.  You are indeed correct, the early ChiSox are part of the the Cubs history and not the modern ChiSox.
3/28/2011 3:24 PM
I'm likely different than most, but I'd probably just lay low and allow this league to play out. Invest your time and efforts into another league and put this wacko on your list of guys to avoid in the future. It doesn't seem there's much to gain by going after this guy. You're more likely to make yourself look bad than to really get this guy either to change or get suspended.
3/28/2011 3:29 PM
That was what I thought and the thing that makes this even funnier is that I having the Cubs as my pitchers drafted Frank Dwyer.  Soon after I received a msg from Cwillis803

MSG-1 "Hey Wave - Frank Dwyer played for the white stockings, not the Cubs...The White Stockings were the White Sox, not the same franchise as the Cubs."

Soon after this I get the following...

MSG-2 "Hey Wave - Sorry...But I was wrong.  I looked it up after I sent you the e-mail and the White Stockings were actually BOTH the Cubs and The White Sox.  So my mistake...You can keep Dwyer.  Glad to have you aboard."

So after even looking up the 2 franchises he still gets it wrong?  Epic Fail.
3/28/2011 3:34 PM
Mattedesa-Your too nice of a guy haha.  Its just the way he came at me with the emails and what not.  He was a dolt throughout the whole process, asking for my opinion about his theme league then spitting in my face, that just kinda gets to me.  I didn't mention this but when I joined his first league I told anyone in the league (everyone was pretty new to the game) that if they wanted any advice I would be happy to help.  So cwillis asked for help and I gave him a lot of tips on drafting that I learned from several good vets in here, esp Bud4875.  So I've been more then nice and helpful ya know?  PS...You gotta follow the rules don't ya? ; )

3/28/2011 3:41 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Bilfert - he's listed as the most recent poster on that thread, but the post is nowhere to be found.  You don't suppose he's the reincarnation of Caracarn, do you?

Hand out!
3/28/2011 3:51 PM
It's certainly your call on what to do. I've just found out that when arguing with a fool, I'm unlikely to accomplish anything except frustrating myself and putting a black eye on my own reputation. Shake the dust off your feet and move on. There are lots of quality progressives looking for owners in the classifieds. Find a good league to participate in. 
3/28/2011 4:03 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Bilfert not to keep touching on a mute point but by any chance do you recall what exactly he said?  I'm just wondering what else this guy could say to make him look even more like a moron.  

On the point of Dwyer, if the admin leaves it up to him then shame on them.  I mean honestly look at it this way, I picked the Cubs pitching having 1888 Dwyer on the team.  He picked a completely different franchise and has the same player on it, the same year and its not like he was traded midseason.  This player was not on a white sox franchise team, he was on a CUBS franchise team.  Rules are rules and Cwillis made it clear that he follows rules when he said the following...

"As for your trick. You refused to tell me what it is and continue to threaten me with it. I have asked you twice now what your trick is and you have yet to respond--so most likely it is not sportsmanlike. I will be on the lookout for your trick and if it is indeed unsportsmanlike, I will fine both your teams $1 million apiece. Remember your rosters must have 25 players with all your pitchers from the franchise you selected and all your hitters from the separate franchise you selected. If after you are fined you cannot uphold that, you will forfeit any game where your rosters are not meeting league rules. 

These rules are not open for debate."
3/28/2011 4:45 PM
Sorry I'm late to reread ... I got busy at this stupid thing called work.

Yes, epolice, this kid did post before ... he was incredibly upset at the thought that Mariano Rivera would EVER blow a save, let alone several in the first half of a season.  And then he REFUSED to acknowledge those WAY smarter than he when confronted with the notion that Rivera has never faced lineups full of HoF'ers game after game.

I agree with one of the earlier posters on this thread. Let it "leak" that you were given one of the "Hall of Famer Cheat codes" and see what his response will be.

I spend my day doing things like this to people. It's the only thing that can always make me laugh. Now, it's on to read the old juggalosteve post again.
3/28/2011 5:17 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 3/28/2011 4:03:00 PM (view original):
It's certainly your call on what to do. I've just found out that when arguing with a fool, I'm unlikely to accomplish anything except frustrating myself and putting a black eye on my own reputation. Shake the dust off your feet and move on. There are lots of quality progressives looking for owners in the classifieds. Find a good league to participate in. 
Mattedesa has a good point.  One of my colleagues has a saying I like -- "When you get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig, only the pig is happy."  Words to live by.

I remember the guy's post on Bilfert's franchise thread, because it struck me as rather odd.  He was complaining about the tenor of the thread, which seemed to miss the point that Bilfert, jfranco, contrarian and a few other HOF'ers go out of their way to explain things and recommend guidelines for Newbies and they obviously don't have to do it at all.  It's sort of a PSA that takes up hours of their own time and is for the benefit of everyone competing in these leagues.  Cwillis may not be the shiniest penny in the roll, and he's certainly not the most agreeable.  I suspect he'll be gone faster than you can say, "Juventino."   
3/28/2011 5:31 PM
I am a little bit embarassed to admit this, but cwillis has been site mailing me with questions about the game, which I have been answering. He seems like a pretty nice guy, but in saying that, I don't mean to dispute anything in this thread. I am writing this only to say that he seems like a decent guy. Nobody is perfect, especially me, I suspect he meant well, and got in a little over his head and didn't (doesn't) know how to handle it. None of the issues that have been discussed in this thread were brought up in the site mails, and I am, frankly, shocked, at what I am reading. But I am not ready to throw cwillis under the bus just yet.
3/28/2011 6:20 PM
3/28/2011 6:25 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.