Playoff Seeding Topic

In a standard 24-team league, what are the tiebreakers in determining playoff seeding?

I am in the playoffs of a league now. My team, Detroit, tied with Baltimore for the best record, and also tied on head-to-head games. Baltimore ended up playing the wild card team, and I played against the other division winner. I assumed that meant he got the top seed. We both won our respective series, but now I have home field advantage in the LDS. I'm certainly not complaining, just a little confused about how this works.

MLB93983
3/28/2011 10:12 AM
Was the wildcard team in your division?  If so, you would not play them in round 1, even if you were the top seed.  I can't find a detailed outline of how they seed teams in the event of ties...my guess is that if H2H is also even, it may just be a coin flip.

3/28/2011 10:48 AM
Yes, the wild card team was from my division. That would explain part of it. So it appears I did get the #1 seed, but I'd still like to know if it's just because of a coin toss or if there's a determining factor.
3/28/2011 11:22 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

From the FAQ:

Q. What happens if teams tie for the division title or wildcard?

A. In the case of a two-way tie at the end of the regular season in which a playoff appearance is at stake, a 1 game playoff will be scheduled between the two teams. This is only in a situation where only one of the two teams will make it into the playoffs. If both teams will make it into the playoffs, one as the division winner and the other as the wildcard, the divisional winner is determined by best head-to-head record. If they are the same, the next tiebreaker is divisional record. If they are still the same, a one-game tiebreaker is scheduled to determine who will be the divisional winner and who will be the wildcard.

3/28/2011 2:21 PM
Thanks buddha...that's for the case where 2 teams from the same division are tied for first, or two teams are tied for the wild card.  It's not clear from that description if the same procedue applies to two separate division champions who are tied for the best overall record in the league.  It may be, but it may not be (for example, there is definitely no 1-game tiebreaker used to determine top seed in the league).
3/28/2011 3:12 PM
Exactly, contrarian. I want to know how the #1 & #2 seeds are determined when it's a tie - there's no wild card involved. I don't expect divisional record would be the factor when the teams are from different divisions. The only difference this makes is to decide which team gets home field advantage, which, in my experience, is of limited value in the sim. It sounds like the general opinion is that the seeding is random if they have the same record and the same head-to-head.
3/28/2011 3:49 PM
Well then, since the FAQ implies that WIS follows the MLB rules for tiebreakers (from the Baseball-Reference, the last paragraph explains the tie-breaker I think in this situation):

Scenario #7: There is a two-way tie for highest winning percentage among Division winners and a tiebreaker is required to determine home field advantage in the Division Series.

If one of the Division winners tied for the highest winning percentage is from the same Division as the Wild Card:
The Division winner from the same Division as the Wild Card cannot play the Wild Card in the Division Series. The other Division winner tied for the highest winning percentage plays the Wild Card.

If neither Division winner tied for the highest winning percentage is from the same Division as the Wild Card:
A tiebreaker system will be used to determine which Division winner with the best record plays the Wild Card.

The first tiebreaker will be head-to-head competition between the two Clubs during the championship season. If the Clubs remain tied, then the tied Clubs with the higher winning percentage in intradivision games during the championship season. If the Clubs remain tied, then the tied Club with the higher winning percentage in intraleague games during the championship season. If the Clubs remain tied, then the tied Club with the higher winning percentage in the last half of intraleague games during the championship season. If the Clubs remain tied, then the tied Club with the higher winning percentage in the last half plus one of intraleague games during the championship season. This process will be followed game-by-game until the tie is broken.

3/29/2011 3:54 AM
Playoff Seeding Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.