This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dracul on 3/31/2011 6:06:00 PM (view original):
CF players should be lumped in with other 'center zone' position players (C - SS - 2B - CF) as having a different set of comparative offensive valuations.  Such players are extremely crucial to a team's success based because of their defensive prowess.

After all, Ozzie Smith ain't gonna make it in if you compare his #'s to 3B, 1B and corner OF players.  But compared to other SS players, a whole new valuation metric creates a more comprehensive perspective.
I wasn't ever comparing Edmonds #'s to Grace, but their relative value at their position during their careers. They were both superior defenders and good offensive player for their position, but neither was the best, or even among the best of the best during their career. It's their relative value that's important. I don't think Edmonds has it. And while I do agree that he was a great defensive CF. I don't think there is any accurate way to quantify defensive stats -- we're getting there, but it is still very subjective and often team based. 
3/31/2011 8:31 PM
◂ Prev 1234

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.