Derek Jeter - 20th on the All-Time Career Hit List Topic

Thursday's result - 1 for 5.  2 hits to go.

#2,997  - First inning double to RF.

Next up:
Friday, July 8: versus the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium, 7:05pm start time

Scheduled opposing pitcher: Jeremy Hellickson
Jeter career against Hellickson: (1-2, .500 AVG)
7/8/2011 7:59 AM
Hope he gets one in his first AB for ya'.
7/8/2011 8:01 AM
Thanks.  That would certainly make the rest of the game much more exciting, especially for my kids.

More importantly . . . I hope the weather cooperates.  The forecast looks questionable.
7/8/2011 8:18 AM
Leaving for the Stadium now:

7/8/2011 2:30 PM

"I shall do my best to make your wife and my kids happy tonight."
7/8/2011 2:56 PM
how long would they sit THAT rain delay out for?

Jeter gets hits in the 1st and 3rd inning....then it starts pouring and pouring and pouring before the start of the 4th
7/8/2011 3:45 PM
They'd call it immediately... Derek Jeter would be the first person to get his 3000th hit twice!!!!!
7/8/2011 4:43 PM

It would be great for ticket sales(not that the Yanks need help).   10 straight days of "See the BEST SS EVAH!!! gets his 3000th!!!!" at the mere thought of rain.

7/8/2011 4:57 PM
So after driving for 3+ hours, we get to the exit on the Deegan:

And just as I'm taking this photo while stuck in traffic at the exit, we hear on the radio that the game was postponed.
7/8/2011 9:20 PM
Friday's result - game postponed due to rain.  Still 2 hits to go.

Next up: Saturday, July 9: versus the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium, 1:05pm start time

Scheduled opposing pitcher: David Price
Jeter career against Price: (6-25, .240 AVG, 1 double, 1 home run)
7/9/2011 7:05 AM
Almost equalling the story of Derek Jeter getting his 3000th hit, going 5 for 5 getting to 3003 hits, and driving in the winning run.....  was...

The story of Christian Lopez. 

He caught Jeter's HR in the bleachers.  He is a 23 year old cell phone salesman.  Die hard Yankee fan.  He catches the ball, and IMMEDIATELY becomes A LOT richer.  He can E-Bay the ball, and get about $300,000 - $1,000,000 from some wealthy Yankee/Jeter fan or Jeter himself, or the Yankees, or the Baseball HOF.  So, what does Lopez do?  When the Yankee organization finds him in the stands 6 minutes after he catches the homerun....  he gives it back to Jeter, asking for nothing in return.  Nothing.  When asked why he would do such a thing his answer....  "Because Jeter worked very hard to achieve this, and I am not the type of person to take it away from him."  Very honorable.  And the Yankees without provocation rewarded him.  He received suite tickets to every remaining Yankee games this season, as well as a myriad of other suite tickets to events.  He also received signed jerseys from many members of the Yankees as well as bats and balls signed by Yankees, and also a chance to meet Jeter after the game.  When told that he gave the ball over and asked for NOTHING, I hope Jeter feels the urge to give him the $300,000 he likely would have made selling the ball.  It would make the perfect ending to this amazing story of a 23 year old who showed tremendous integrity and honor.
7/9/2011 6:13 PM

Yep.  Classy move from him and the Yankees.  As for what Jeter does, you'll never hear about it unless the kid tells it.   THAT'S how Jeter is.

7/9/2011 6:29 PM
Mike, we disagree from time to time.  Not here.  Jeter is held in as high regard as he is more because of who he is as a person, not as a shortstop.  He is a HOF person as well as SS.  Thats why I found it kind of fitting that the person who caught his homerun had a similar integrity level to Jeter.  The kid needed the money.  He didnt ask for it
7/9/2011 7:33 PM
Saturday's result - 5 for 5.  3,003 career hits.  In the record books, and passes Roberto Clemente into 27th place on the all-time list.

#2,999  - First inning single to LF.
#3,000  - Third inning home run to LF.
#3,001  - Fifth inning double to LF.
#3,002  - Sixth inning single to RF.
#3,003  - Eight inning single to CF.

Next player to catch:  Al Kaline, at #26 on the all-time list with 3,007 hits.
7/9/2011 8:07 PM
Jeter became only the second player to hit a home run for their 3,000th hit.  Wade Boggs was the other one.
7/9/2011 8:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Derek Jeter - 20th on the All-Time Career Hit List Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.