I very seriously doubt that.

3/31/2011 3:31 PM
Dangit, my reply quoted the wrong stuff:

Posted by tedwmoore on 3/31/2011 2:46:00 PM (view original):
Yes, I almost amended my answer to include that pitch type is relevant to both catcher defense and an umpire's perception of the strike zone, but I am not certain that either of these changes my opinion, as both are issues of effectiveness.  In the pitcher/batter duel, a catcher's ability to handle the pitch, or the ump's perception of its movements through the strikes zone, are both measures/constraints of its effectiveness.  Neither, strictly speaking, impact the batter's ability to get wood on the pitch.

Maybe this is way off base, I don't know. 
I'll disagree.  The effectiveness of the pitch with respect to the hitter ends when it is either hit, or crosses the plate untouched.  If catcher Smith can master handling the knuckler, while catcher Jones struggles (i.e. passed balls), then it's not a question of pitch effectiveness.  It's a question of catcher effectiveness.  Same pitch, possible different result based on the catcher.

This makes sense, different pitches stress a defense differently.  Still not convinced.

We might say that a ground ball pitcher who features the sinker might need a better infield defense behind him.  This makes the pitch type seem relevant.  But having an effective infield defense is always important.  Is the pitch type relevant because it results in more chances for the infield defense to prove themselves ineffective?  I don't know what my opinion is on this.

So, when we say that the knuckballer requires a more agile catcher, does this make the pitch type relevant, or catcher defense? 

I realize that this has moved beyond the initial discussion -- for instance, a pitcher's ground ball tendency is measurable in HBD -- but, you know, whatever.
3/31/2011 3:35 PM
Ono is the greatest knuckleballer ever!
3/31/2011 5:05 PM (edited)
Posted by isack24 on 3/31/2011 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Relevant to what?

He's not asking for the purpose of determining effectiveness.

It would be like asking, "has anyone ever seen anyone from my hometown?"  I know it's not relevant to actual gameplay, but I'm simply curious.  I don't understand the responses to him asking a question purely out of curiosity.
Look out!  Someone else on this board actually gets it!
3/31/2011 5:28 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/31/2011 3:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tedwmoore on 3/31/2011 2:46:00 PM (view original):
Yes, I almost amended my answer to include that pitch type is relevant to both catcher defense and an umpire's perception of the strike zone, but I am not certain that either of these changes my opinion, as both are issues of effectiveness.  In the pitcher/batter duel, a catcher's ability to handle the pitch, or the ump's perception of its movements through the strikes zone, are both measures/constraints of its effectiveness.  Neither, strictly speaking, impact the batter's ability to get wood on the pitch.

Maybe this is way off base, I don't know. 
I'll disagree.  The effectiveness of the pitch with respect to the hitter ends when it is either hit, or crosses the plate untouched.  If catcher Smith can master handling the knuckler, while catcher Jones struggles (i.e. passed balls), then it's not a question of pitch effectiveness.  It's a question of catcher effectiveness.  Same pitch, possible different result based on the catcher.
Only tecwerger can turn a simple question into a philosophical debate.  Wait, add MikeT123455678 to that list.  No, take him off, he is usually brutally simple and to the point, but not confusing.
3/31/2011 5:33 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Antonio Ono

Here you go tecwergger, the non existent answer to my irrelevant question.  If only Pliny the Elder were around to see such a thing.
3/31/2011 5:51 PM
I apoligize that you were not able to realize the irrelevance of your question.
3/31/2011 6:11 PM
Click the link, quit denying yourself.
3/31/2011 6:32 PM
My, god tec. How did you make it this far in this thread without killing someone??? I wanted to just reading it...
3/31/2011 8:45 PM
Posted by tedwmoore on 3/31/2011 2:26:00 PM (view original):
I haven't seen a knuckleballer (like usfbully, I rarely notice the names of pitches thrown).  But, like rangerup, I do enjoy random fun facts even if they don't affect the game engine.  For instance, I have a player from Nauvoo, IL, which is a big Mormon outpost.  This makes me like him a bit more because it tickles my funny bone.  Won't affect whether he plays or how long a contract he gets, and it is not relevant to the sim engine, but it is relevant to my enjoyment of the game.
I'm with Ted on this one.  I know that birthplace has no bearing on anything, but I have Bailey Dykstra on my team an will probably keep him as long as I can (overpaying him and playing him out of position - he's really a LF, not RF), just because he, like me, is a Canuck.
3/31/2011 9:25 PM
The overpaying part is in the future
3/31/2011 9:27 PM
Posted by tropicana on 3/31/2011 8:45:00 PM (view original):
My, god tec. How did you make it this far in this thread without killing someone??? I wanted to just reading it...
Are you being serious?

I didn't realize there were two people that could miss the point so badly.

Here, maybe caps will help:

HE DOESN'T CARE THAT IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO THE GAME OR THAT THE LABEL "KNUCKLEBALL" DOESN'T ACTUALLY MAKE IT A KNUCKLEBALL FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE GAME.  WE ALL UNDERSTAND THAT.  HE SIMPLY WANTS TO KNOW IF THE THOSE COMBINATION OF LABELS EXIST, REGARDLESS IF THEY MEAN ANYTHING.
3/31/2011 9:35 PM

Has anybody ever seen a third baseman who was born in a state west of the Mississippi who is over six foot tall, has blue eyes and a goatee?  I'm really curious if that combination exists, and if they are good hitters?

3/31/2011 9:48 PM

I guess we need someone to jump in and tell you that, as the forum president, I deem your curiosity irrelevant to my needs, and thus irrelevant to everything.  Consider yourself enlightened.

3/31/2011 9:50 PM

I guess we need someone to jump in and tell you that, as the forum president, I deem your curiosity irrelevant to my needs, and thus irrelevant to everything.  Consider yourself enlightened.

3/31/2011 9:50 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...15 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.