Joba 2007 Season Topic

I have always wondered this, why isn't his 2007 season in the database?
3/31/2011 4:36 PM
Unfortunately, the min. IP for a season to be included is 25. Joba threw 24. Which is a shame because I'd love to use it
3/31/2011 4:52 PM
Posted by jfranco77 on 3/31/2011 4:52:00 PM (view original):
Unfortunately, the min. IP for a season to be included is 25. Joba threw 24. Which is a shame because I'd love to use it
that is a shame. there must be a bunch of other great 20-24 inning pitchers that are excluded. 
3/31/2011 4:56 PM
I've always wondered about the lefty Karl Spooner of the '54 Dodgers. he was only 23 when he went 2-0 in two games started that year. Pitched 18 innings, gave up 7 hits and no homers. Fanned 27 for a 13.5 k/9 rate. Had a 0.72 WHIP & a .114 OAV.

The next year, when he was 24, he pitched 98-2./3rd innings, had a 1.21 WHIP, gave up 79 hits... not a bad year. then never heard from again in the bigs?
4/1/2011 11:02 AM
wikipedia says that he warmed up improperly in spring training of '55 and messed up his arm, even thought he pitched that season......His stats looked pretty amazing though in '54.
4/1/2011 11:20 AM
Posted by bottomlee on 4/1/2011 11:20:00 AM (view original):
wikipedia says that he warmed up improperly in spring training of '55 and messed up his arm, even thought he pitched that season......His stats looked pretty amazing though in '54.
That sounds freaky. What kind of injury are we talking about here? Any know?
4/1/2011 11:34 AM

Courtesy of Steven Goldman at Baseball Prospectus (www.baseballprospectus.com), though copied without permission:

An epically mishandled super-prospect, though no one knew any better at the time. Signed by the Dodgers in 1950 for just $600, Spooner had great raw stuff for a left-hander, but the Dodgers failed to nurture it. His 1954 with Fort Worth of the Texas League was amazing, and by today’s standards spectacularly abusive. He pitched 42 games, starting 31. He threw 238 innings, allowed 176 hits, 162 walks, and struck out 262. His ERA was 3.14. According to the Sporting News, “His blazing fastball  has brought him a one-hitter, three two-hitters, one three-hitter, one four-hitter and two five-hitters. He once struck out 15 men in one game, twice whiffed 14, once fanned 13, and three times struck out 12.” (He also pitched two no-hitters at the lower levels.) To that innings total, add in winter ball during the previous winter and several starts in the ’54 Texas League playoffs. In the last of them, Spooner pitched 16 innings.  

Spooner had help on at least one of his Fort Worth strikeouts. In a July road game against the Houston Buffs, the umpire called Spooner’s first pitch on batter George Lerchen a strike. Lerchen argued the call, stepping out of the box to do so. The umpire ordered him to hit, but Lerchen kept arguing. The umpire told Spooner to pitch to the empty box. He did, and the umpire called strike two. A whole bunch of ejections followed, including Lerchen, his manager (Dixie Walker), and two other Buffs. When the pinch-hitter to finish Lerchen’s at-bat was slow in arriving, the umpire told Spooner to pitch again, even though there was no batter at the plate. Strike three was called. More ejections followed and a near-riot on the part of the Buffs fans, but the K is part of the record…

The Dodgers were in the process of losing the pennant to the Giants by a mere five games, in large part because their starting rotation was weak, so their failure to call up Spooner sooner played a significant role in the race. Spooner was a drawing card for the Cats and ownership was reluctant to let him go, so the Dodgers left him in Texas until the very end of the season. When a couple of their starters went out with sore arms at the very end of the season, manager Walter Alston decided to give him a try. Spooner started against the NL champion Giants on September 22 (though Leo Durocher rested most of his regulars after an at-bat or two each) and pitched a three-hitter (Alvin Dark, Willie Mays, and Johnny Antonelli got him), walking three and striking out 15. He struck out the side three times, and at one point struck out six consecutive batters. He K’d his last batter, pinch-hitter Dusty Rhodes, who was having a season for the ages (.341/.410/.695), one which he would carry into the World Series. In Peter Golenbock’s Bums, Clem Labine recalled, “That man had a fastball that was unbelievable, not for sheer speed, but for how much the ball moved… I can remember Dusty Rhodes… saying to Leo, ‘Give me a bat. I can hit this kid.’ And he went out there and took three strikes, boom, boom, boom, never swung at one. He went back to the dugout and conceded, ‘Yeah, he has good stuff.’”

After the game, catcher Roy Campanella said, “He’s the greatest young pitcher I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t believe it.” Spooner had time for one more start before the season ended. He pitched a four-hit shutout against the Pirates, striking out 12. That was the last game of the season. Spooner’s debut went into the books: 18 innings, seven hits, no runs, six walks, 27 strikeouts.

Spooner and the Dodgers spent the winter dreaming on the terrific rotation they would have in 1955, with the young fireballer joining don Newcombe, Carl Erskine, and Johnny Podres. During spring training, as Spooner was hurriedly warming up to get into a game, something tore in his shoulder. The Dodgers nursed him through 29 games, but the stuff was gone forever. Surgery failed to bring it back, and Spooner’s career was over.

4/1/2011 10:24 PM
Joba 2007 Season Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.