Ruth or a stud SS Topic

Imagine on your roster, you had one spot left.   Your only real hole is that your current SS is solid on offence, but a d/d ( over .900 fpt, but still a D) on d.

Now, would you go for Ruth or Hornsby as your DH, or take a 'lesser offensive' player in Nap or Jennings and take the improved D.

They each would fit under the salary cap.
4/1/2011 4:45 PM
What year or Ruth are we talking about?  I'm always one to go for offense.  The game is all about building efficient offenses, and Ruth fits well in pretty much any scheme.
4/1/2011 5:51 PM
any year, and he would end up being the only ruth in the league if he fell to me.....My offence looks pretty good as is, and its not like Nap and Jennings are bad guys.  Just trying to decide if their upgrade on D is better than Ruth or Hornsby's O.....
4/1/2011 6:16 PM
Wow, a cross-forum self-jinx.   I'd go with the shortstop now...     
4/1/2011 8:52 PM
Be prepared to tear your hair out with a D/D SS. It's not a simple matter of atrocious fielding, but also in the number of missed DP opportunities. Sounds like a high cap league.  Make errors, miss DP's and see how the high powered offenses you'll be playing against take big advantage of those mistakes.
4/1/2011 10:58 PM
went with Nap.  Thanks for the advice
4/1/2011 11:03 PM
I would have gone with the bat, but that's just how I roll.  Defense is overpriced.
4/2/2011 1:42 AM
Do the math...
On average each error is equivalent to ~.0017/ .0015/ .0017
In the same way each + play is worth ~.0017/ .0015/ .0020

The sim isn't too far off real-life in that in the MI you want defense.
4/4/2011 8:41 PM (edited)
Ruth or a stud SS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.