Ichiro's 3000th Hit - 142 to go! First Ballot HOF! Topic

Then I'd say you're not managing to your full potential.  You have to explain to them how their OBP is worth about twice as much as their slugging. 
8/26/2013 3:31 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/26/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):
From Rickey's book, he wrote this.  Possible reason on why he got no votes...he blew his load in the first half?

"If someone other than Don had won the MVP in '85, maybe I'd have been more upset. I still think I had a better year. I carried the team in the first half, and Don carried the team in the second half.; the second half was more on the voters' minds. I actually finished third in the balloting. George Brett somehow snuck in and finished second, and I still don't know why. I thought that was a bunch of crap. Including the disgrace in '81 when Rollie Fingers got the MVP, I lost out on two trophies that I had a pretty good chance to win."
Shocking that Rickey thinks he won two MVPs.    He was such a humble fellow.
8/26/2013 3:32 PM
And while I think it's been brought up already...at that time watching TV, the stats you were shown were the triple crown stats.  If you look at those, yes, Mattingly looks like he's a better player.  Even though runs and RBI are basically equal in importance.
8/26/2013 3:36 PM
especially if lazy people are involved? had no idea that your numbers determine laziness as well. who needs a god when baseballs gods are impotent at influencing sportswriters? why should god judge anything or even be opinionated if massive numerical data does the tough work? there seems to be no convincing u that baseball requires actual people to work and not be lazy. with great efforts of human endurance against fairly great odds the game will never depend on numbers to determine its future. give up soothsaying with tools and numbers that do not work. your futility will paint your baseball life as disheartening and gloomy and real baseball is enjoyed and not complained about. the hall of fame and its standards are appreciated most by its generational love of the game involving people as its primary ingredient, or quotient. i see nothing here measuring your love of the game. 
8/26/2013 3:40 PM
From Rickey's book, he wrote this.  Possible reason on why he got no votes...he blew his load in the first half?

"If someone other than Don had won the MVP in '85, maybe I'd have been more upset. I still think I had a better year. I carried the team in the first half, and Don carried the team in the second half.; the second half was more on the voters' minds. I actually finished third in the balloting. George Brett somehow snuck in and finished second, and I still don't know why. I thought that was a bunch of crap. Including the disgrace in '81 when Rollie Fingers got the MVP, I lost out on two trophies that I had a pretty good chance to win."
I guess Rickey will have to be consoled by the fact that he's among the top 20 position players of all time and Mattingly is lucky to crack the top 300.
8/26/2013 3:51 PM
Rickey says Rickey don't need no trophy to tell him he's the best.
8/26/2013 3:57 PM
All things considered, Brett's 1985 season was the best overall of his career.  I think you could flip-flop Brett, Mattingly & Henderson 1-3 in that year's MVP vote, and each guy would have a valid beef that he should have won it.  All had excellent seasons, but none that much greater than the others.
8/26/2013 4:03 PM
You obviously don't understand WAR!!!!!!
8/26/2013 4:08 PM
Instead of WAR, I think it's more valuable to look at the + stats (OBPS+, AVG+, SLG+) etc.  That gives you the best idea of how a guy did against the rest of the league.

I DO like the concept of defensive WAR because it at least attempts to put a value on a player's defensive ability.  The average fan cannot do this.  I mean, everyone raves about Miguel Cabrera as the best player in the world right now.  He is definitely the best offensive player currently, but (overall) Trout is better when you take into account his defensive ability.  Unless you crunch those numbers, you don't fully understand that fact.

8/26/2013 4:16 PM
Posted by winner77 on 8/26/2013 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Instead of WAR, I think it's more valuable to look at the + stats (OBPS+, AVG+, SLG+) etc.  That gives you the best idea of how a guy did against the rest of the league.

I DO like the concept of defensive WAR because it at least attempts to put a value on a player's defensive ability.  The average fan cannot do this.  I mean, everyone raves about Miguel Cabrera as the best player in the world right now.  He is definitely the best offensive player currently, but (overall) Trout is better when you take into account his defensive ability.  Unless you crunch those numbers, you don't fully understand that fact.

**** you and your reasonable approach to evaluating players. Don't knows RBIs be king?
8/26/2013 4:20 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2013 3:51:00 PM (view original):

I guess Rickey will have to be consoled by the fact that he's among the top 20 position players of all time and Mattingly is lucky to crack the top 300.
your love of rickey determines his need for consolation while ignoring mattinglys simultaneous shortcomings in that same sentence? clearly your appreciation of the 2 players in contrast does not coincide with an accurate record of what happened to interfere with your love of baseball. the mattingly issue has already been determined by past numbers and not those new numbers which declare that the hall of fame would be a better reflection of the game with more busts of tim raines types rather than the ruth types. your overall numbers have no weight or value if ruth is only 10 percent better than any other in the game. yes cy young ranks because pitching dominates on the batting average scale of measure. to come up with a number that says a hitting pitcher can at best only be 10 percent greater weight or value to his team is merely a number that demeans ruth. he did both which hasn't been done successfully at the elevated levels that ruth did. rickey henderson being a temporary teammate of mattingly shows that rickey henderson loses productive weight as a leadoff batter. the hall of fame is proliferated by the batters from the middle of the order. it was not a dumb lazy manager who placed mattingly in the sweetspot of the lineup. rickey henderson would not fit in there and produce as mattingly did. ichiro has no shortcomings as far as batting average is concerned as it pertains to the hall of fame. his power and rbi totals would seal the deal if he had them. which he does not. yes the argument does hinge on how the baseball gods value and weigh those numbers. why choose a batter for enshrinement in the modern day by a vote? if numbers do persuade a vote or two then your attempts to show rickey as needing consolation have failed.
8/26/2013 4:32 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/26/2013 11:30:00 AM (view original):
Obviously not getting out is a good thing.  But we've done this before.   If you get three walks in an inning, you don't score if you only send 6 batters to the plate.   If you get three singles, you might actually score despite sending only 6 batter to the plate.    The objective is to score more than the other team, right? 
You should love this:

wOBA is based on a simple concept: Not all hits are created equal. Batting average assumes that they are. On-base percentage does too, but does one better by including other ways of reaching base. Slugging percentage weights hits, but not accurately (Is a double worth twice as much as a single? In short, no). On-base plus slugging (OPS) does attempt to combine the different aspects of hitting into one metric, but it assumes that one percentage point of SLG is the same as that of OBP. In reality, a handy estimate is that OBP is around twice as valuable than SLG (the exact ratio is x1.8).
8/26/2013 4:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2013 4:20:00 PM (view original):

**** you and your reasonable approach to evaluating players. Don't knows RBIs be king?
Wow, calm down angry guy. 
8/26/2013 4:26 PM
Posted by winner77 on 8/26/2013 4:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2013 4:20:00 PM (view original):

Wow, calm down angry guy. 
I was joking.
8/26/2013 4:33 PM
^^^^   I know. 
8/26/2013 4:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...45 Next ▸
Ichiro's 3000th Hit - 142 to go! First Ballot HOF! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.