Ichiro's 3000th Hit - 142 to go! First Ballot HOF! Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/27/2013 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 1:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/27/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I did not do that with Rof.  I used it as backing evidence to the general knowledge that Henderson had a weak arm.  One of your magical advanced statistics even backs that up.

Henderson was also not a "league average" CF.  He was below average.  Don't you think that, with his offensive abilities, if he was a league average CF he would have played more than 2 fulltime seasons at the position?
Look, you wanted to use total zone, not me. Go complain to your mom.

Who knows why Henderson moved off CF. Maybe he hated it. Maybe he really wasn't very good overall. Maybe it wore him out and would have reduced his offensive effectiveness. Regardless, in 1985, he was at least league average, likely better than league average.

Going back to offense, pick a better-than-BA stat -- wOBA, wRC+, OPS, OPS+, oWAR...whatever. All of them will put Rickey equal to or better than Mattingly in 1985.

Even ignoring the 80 stolen bases, how can you pick the 1B over the CF in this situation?
You didn't answer this question.
Mattingly led the major leagues in extra base hits, total bases and RBI's.  He had 48 more total bases (nearly 15% more) than the #2 guy in the American League (Brett).  The Yankees had the second bast record in the American League in 1985, and he carried them in the second half of the season.

I watched the games.  I remember the season.  Henderson may have set the table, but Mattingly carried that team on his back.

That's what defines an MVP.  Not statistics on a web page.
So, you're saying **** what the stats say, I don't care if Henderson was better, Mattingly carried the team to a second place finish?
You do realize that RBI, total bases, and extra base hits are "statistics on a web page" also, right Grandpa?
Yep, but you can also see them as they happen.

You need a ******* computer and a ****-ton of data to determine WAR and UZR and other advanced **** as they happen.
8/27/2013 2:29 PM
It's funny that Rickey was like "Brett got 2nd that year, and I have no idea how that could have happened."  Rickey being Rickey, I guess....if you look at the numbers, he was deserving.

The one thing that Rickey absolutely DID dominate with is stolen bases.  He was 80/90 stealing bases, which is pretty remarkable. 

8/27/2013 2:30 PM
It's not close. They were at least equals offensively and then Henderson stole 80 bases while playing CF. Brett and Henderson were very, very close.
8/27/2013 2:31 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:31:00 PM (view original):
It's not close. They were at least equals offensively and then Henderson stole 80 bases while playing CF. Brett and Henderson were very, very close.
"It's not close".

You're too stupid to keep posting in this forum.
8/27/2013 2:33 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/27/2013 2:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/27/2013 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 1:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/27/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I did not do that with Rof.  I used it as backing evidence to the general knowledge that Henderson had a weak arm.  One of your magical advanced statistics even backs that up.

Henderson was also not a "league average" CF.  He was below average.  Don't you think that, with his offensive abilities, if he was a league average CF he would have played more than 2 fulltime seasons at the position?
Look, you wanted to use total zone, not me. Go complain to your mom.

Who knows why Henderson moved off CF. Maybe he hated it. Maybe he really wasn't very good overall. Maybe it wore him out and would have reduced his offensive effectiveness. Regardless, in 1985, he was at least league average, likely better than league average.

Going back to offense, pick a better-than-BA stat -- wOBA, wRC+, OPS, OPS+, oWAR...whatever. All of them will put Rickey equal to or better than Mattingly in 1985.

Even ignoring the 80 stolen bases, how can you pick the 1B over the CF in this situation?
You didn't answer this question.
Mattingly led the major leagues in extra base hits, total bases and RBI's.  He had 48 more total bases (nearly 15% more) than the #2 guy in the American League (Brett).  The Yankees had the second bast record in the American League in 1985, and he carried them in the second half of the season.

I watched the games.  I remember the season.  Henderson may have set the table, but Mattingly carried that team on his back.

That's what defines an MVP.  Not statistics on a web page.
So, you're saying **** what the stats say, I don't care if Henderson was better, Mattingly carried the team to a second place finish?
You do realize that RBI, total bases, and extra base hits are "statistics on a web page" also, right Grandpa?
Yep, but you can also see them as they happen.

You need a ******* computer and a ****-ton of data to determine WAR and UZR and other advanced **** as they happen.
Not a computer!!!! ****, what's next, calculators instead of slide rules?

(ps, I have no ******* clue what a slide rule does, if it doesn't add ****, my bad)
8/27/2013 2:34 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/27/2013 2:33:00 PM (view original):
"It's not close".

You, clearly, don't understand **** about baseball.
8/27/2013 2:35 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
"It's not close".

Free advice has no value to that guy. But, if we charged him (by the post) & sent him a bill to pay-up, for arguing fruitlessly against the baseball community here, and against those poor sportswriters who unfortunately cannot be here to defend their historic votes, then I move to do the following, & create a poll where we can point & click our arguments, & he will never know who voted for what. Which will, of course, bring us all full-circle where he still does not know what or why they voted. This will finally prove that baseball is not a merry-go-round. That is free advice, that arguments insisting his end to be sustained, must be substantiated by magic, & fortune-telling accredited college degrees from anywhere other than Earth.

8/27/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
"It's not close".

Neither did, clearly, the 28 AL MVP voters in 1985 who ALL passed over Henderson.
8/27/2013 2:53 PM
Correct.
8/27/2013 2:54 PM
"It's not close".

Agreed.

But, for some reason, he believes if he keeps repeating himself, his words are more valid.

Is there a term for this type of behavior?
8/27/2013 3:14 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2013 2:54:00 PM (view original):
Correct.
LOL.

'THE 28 VOTERS ARE STUPID AND, 28 YEARS LATER, I'M WAY SMARTER THAN ANY OF THEM!!!!"

Dumbass.
8/27/2013 3:15 PM
Anybody else need an usher to find your way out of here ?
8/27/2013 3:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/27/2013 3:14:00 PM (view original):
"It's not close".

Agreed.

But, for some reason, he believes if he keeps repeating himself, his words are more valid.

Is there a term for this type of behavior?
You and tec agree??? Shocking.

Between the two of you, I'm sure you can scrape together enough pennies to buy a clue.
8/27/2013 3:26 PM
On a side note; was wondering if anyone else here has ever used a machine gun, in a gun-fight, for the purposes of say, sweeping a floor, for example ? It's so easy to stick to a thread's topic, unless the floor needs to be swept. Has anyone measured the effect of all the dust in the air after any of RHendersons stolen bases 30 years later ?  Is there a government grant program anywhere that would make it possible for ISuzuki to continue his career wearing a dust mask, in case the findings are not favorable ?  Wow, more math. Too much for this thread.
8/27/2013 3:28 PM
I like talking about who won which award, or does this guy deserve to be in the hall of fame, or who got robbed of an award.....but these forums turn into ******* matches so quickly, I lose track of what the hell we are actually talking about.  I honestly don't even know which one of you guys hates which other guy....I lost track.
8/27/2013 4:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31|32|33...45 Next ▸
Ichiro's 3000th Hit - 142 to go! First Ballot HOF! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.