Baseline prestige list? Topic

I believe 15-20% of these HD baselines are incorrect.
Ask anyone that coached Georgetown if they believe they really are A- baseline. Colonial at a D? My belief is they all are a C-.

I've posted my list in multiple baseline topics but people continue to post this list.

Oh well, I'm not going to take the time to repost what I feel is a more accurate list. People can search the forums if they want it.
3/29/2018 9:43 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 3/29/2018 9:43:00 PM (view original):
Ask anyone that coached Georgetown if they believe they really are A- baseline. Colonial at a D? My belief is they all are a C-.

I've posted my list in multiple baseline topics but people continue to post this list.

Oh well, I'm not going to take the time to repost what I feel is a more accurate list. People can search the forums if they want it.
Why do you believe that its incorrect? Based on some anecdotal experience or a study?
3/29/2018 9:54 PM
oldwarrior has enough experience for anecdotal **** to really mean something benis
3/29/2018 10:08 PM
Based on my experience oldwarrior is just right on pretty much whatever he says, Big West is totally D+/C- along with Colonial.

EDIT: I swear I typed Big West not Big Sky whatever
3/29/2018 10:09 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/29/2018 9:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by oldwarrior on 3/29/2018 9:43:00 PM (view original):

Why do you believe that its incorrect? Based on some anecdotal experience or a study?
I tend to agree with Oldwarrior, I suspect quite a few of these are off. I’ve never understood how this list was compiled in the first place. Phelan starts with D1 prestige assigned year 1. If that’s not baseline, I’m not sure what “baseline” prestige even means, or how it affects the game.
4/2/2018 7:09 PM
"I believe 15-20% of these HD baselines are incorrect."

That's worded incorrectly. "15-20% of HD baselines are inconsistent with my perception of reality" would be better. People can agree or disagree with you based on their perceptions.
4/2/2018 9:06 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 4/2/2018 9:06:00 PM (view original):

That's worded incorrectly. "15-20% of HD baselines are inconsistent with my perception of reality" would be better. People can agree or disagree with you based on their perceptions.
No, he’s saying that the list published on the first page is not correct, and I agree with him. Based on where teams actually started year 1 of Phelan, there seem to be many teams that are simply listed incorrectly. WIS has never disclosed the official “baseline prestige” behind the curtain of each team, so it is a bit speculative. But this is not a matter of perception, so much as a matter of figuring out how this estimation was made, because it definitely looks off in a number of cases.
4/2/2018 9:27 PM
look at the Colonial in Phelan and Knight after season 1 to see why the stated D baseline for the CAA makes little sense.

William & Mary is one example.
in Knight; 14w 201rpi, no postseason ending prestige C-
in Phelan; 14w 200rpi, no postseason ending prestige C-
If the baseline is D, that would mean they had gotten a bump of two grades for a 200 rpi season, in both worlds

Actually at the end of season 1 in Phelan, the CAA had 8 teams at C- or better.
The only 4 CAA teams with prestige below C- after season 1, averaged 6 wins with a 271 rpi that season. However none dropped below the supposed D baseline. Is it possible Drexel jumped from D to C+ (4 grades) with a first round loss in the PIT?

If Drexel jumped 4 grades with a first round PIT loss, how is it the average of the NT teams in the eleven true D baseline conferences was a bump to C?
4/2/2018 10:10 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 4/2/2018 9:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by l80r20 on 4/2/2018 9:06:00 PM (view original):

No, he’s saying that the list published on the first page is not correct, and I agree with him. Based on where teams actually started year 1 of Phelan, there seem to be many teams that are simply listed incorrectly. WIS has never disclosed the official “baseline prestige” behind the curtain of each team, so it is a bit speculative. But this is not a matter of perception, so much as a matter of figuring out how this estimation was made, because it definitely looks off in a number of cases.
My bad. Thanks for the clarification.
4/2/2018 10:44 PM
Been here a long *** time and still don't fully understand the prestige situation.... Including the current Tark season here are the last 4 seasons for my B- Arkansas reclamation project... This year's team is right outside the Top 25, and barring something strange will make the NT again.... From those who know most about these things, what do I need to do Win/RPI/NT to continue to rise up and eventually get to a B+ and beyond. We had one guy drafted in 137 and another is in the 90's on the Big Board this season.

Season 140
Arkansas
Div (I) - SEC
Overall Record: 4-0
Conference Record: 0-0
RPI: 0

Season 139
Arkansas
Div (I) - SEC
Overall Record: 16-12
Conference Record: 8-8
RPI: 64
Nat. Tourny
At-large Bid
Nat. Tourny
1st Round

Season 138
Arkansas
Div (I) - SEC
Overall Record: 17-12
Conference Record: 7-9
RPI: 94
PI Tourny
1st Round
Season 137

ArkansasDiv (I) - SEC
Overall Record: 8-19
Conference Record: 4-12
RPI: 196
7/13/2018 3:22 PM (edited)
Remember its only your last 4 seasons so the key right now is to get seasons 136 and 137 to drop off the list and replace them with postseason runs. With a 1st round NT exit this season you will probably be a B and maybe with a S16 you can get to B+.
7/13/2018 4:18 PM
Thanks Benis
7/13/2018 7:27 PM
unrelated to the recent resurrection of this thread, but man, baseline prestige is just bonkers powerful. i remember how easy it was to move up a A+ baseline prestige team when I took over Arizona in Smith for my first power job in this game. 5 NT wins in 5 seasons, and I was at A prestige. I remember thinking, wow, this is too easy!

but, man, in one of the worlds I play in Kansas is A prestige but has just 1 NT win in 14 seasons over multiple coaches, and half of those 14 have been losing seasons. doesn't that just seem totally ridiculous?
7/14/2018 11:26 AM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 7/14/2018 11:26:00 AM (view original):
unrelated to the recent resurrection of this thread, but man, baseline prestige is just bonkers powerful. i remember how easy it was to move up a A+ baseline prestige team when I took over Arizona in Smith for my first power job in this game. 5 NT wins in 5 seasons, and I was at A prestige. I remember thinking, wow, this is too easy!

but, man, in one of the worlds I play in Kansas is A prestige but has just 1 NT win in 14 seasons over multiple coaches, and half of those 14 have been losing seasons. doesn't that just seem totally ridiculous?
Yes. If I'm reading you correctly, it is too easy for the blue chip schools to maintain superior prestige even though they are consistently "not superior." The baseline keeps them elite, not their on-court performance. The best RL comparison I can come up with is Notre Dame in football. There was a decent stretch where they genuinely sucked but got pre-season hype (prestige) every year.
7/14/2018 1:00 PM
It is too easy.
7/15/2018 6:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Baseline prestige list? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.