Platooning catchers Topic

Does anybody platoon catchers? I'm still pretty much a newbie at all this, but I was wondering about platooning catchers - one with an A+++ arm against teams that like to run, and the other with a weaker arm but strong offense against teams with lesser speed. Do you end up paying too much overall? Would the strong arm catcher play about 67% of your games? Just curious.
4/7/2011 6:47 PM
since so many Catchers are somehwat less than full time it's not uncommon to get 100 PA or so from backup Catcher(s). not a full platoon but he does get a lot of play. a 50/50 platoon with an A+ arm doesn't seem cost effective since you're still paying a premium for the arm and can't use it enough to justify the added cost. but feel free to try it and let us know how it works out.
I play Catcher by committee in some theme leagues where options are limited but they aren't normally  A+ arms.
4/7/2011 7:41 PM (edited)
In OL/CL I routinely "tank" my catchers by only drafting 250-300 PA at catcher and just platoon with whatever AAA catcher I get. In progressives I often platoon catchers as there aren't that many full time catchers in a given season and it's easier to find two catchers who give you 300 PA per season for 5-10 years than it is to find a catcher that gives you 5-10 years of 600 PA. Plus, in an off year, it's easier to fill in 200-300 PA with a late pick than try to find a one year wonder at C.

In theme leagues that don't use AAA or have a higher cap I often platoon '37 York with '27 Schulte or draft '35 Foxx.
4/7/2011 8:49 PM
Don't forget there is more or less a 'flat fee' for an A+ arm, so a guy with 100pa and an A+ arm will be way too expensive.

I usually have a 450ish PA guy with an A or better arm, and a 200ish PA guy with a weak arm. Guys for the short side of the platoon are pretty cheap.
4/7/2011 9:48 PM
I agree with everything written here and I'd like to add that platoons in general are not always practical for a number of reasons:
1) A typical platton split would be 400/200, however after drafting 400PA, the availability of AAA for free makes the other 200PA expendable
2) There are plenty of cheapo players (e.g. Wilson Delgado, Howie Clark) to use in the role of PH (a secondary function of most platoons.
4) Adding a platoon player takes a roster spot away from a potentially more valuable bullpen arm.    
4/7/2011 10:04 PM
I'm thinking about drafting a 400-450 PA catcher with an A+ arm, and rolling the dice with my AAA catcher. If my AAA guy is a dud, then I would either live with it or go out into the waiver pool to get the other half of the platoon.
4/8/2011 8:07 AM

If you really want cost efficiency at catcher, find a position player whose secondary position is catcher.  This way, you can get a 400-500 PA decent hitting catcher with an A+ arm for less than $3mil. I think I've drafted a regular catcher maybe once on my last 10-15 teams.

4/8/2011 10:45 AM
mixtroy, I may be misunderstanding you, but I think you're looking for a unicorn.

There are exactly 2 players in the entire WIS database with 400+ PA, play catcher (primary or secondary), have an A+ arm, and have an OPS# over .670.  I would consider "decent hitting" to be OPS# of at least .700.  There ain't much to choose from.

I think there's a good argument to be made that if you're going to draft an A+ arm catcher, you want as many PA from his as possible.  You pay more or less the same total $ for the arm regardless of PA, so the more PA you draft, the lower your $/PA.  I'd much rather have 600 PA from my catcher and platoon or tank 1B or OF.

The one exception I occasionally make to this is the 1916 Schang, who for some reason is under $3M and can be an offensive beast in the right park.

4/8/2011 10:54 AM
1888 Charlie Ganzel?
4/8/2011 11:26 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 4/8/2011 11:26:00 AM (view original):
1888 Charlie Ganzel?
Haven't used him.  The .298 OBP# and 3.22 RC/27 are deal-breakers for me.
4/8/2011 11:28 AM
contrarian, I was surprised by your post indicating there are only two catchers (including secondary positions) who have an A+ arm, 400 or more PAs and an OPS# of .670. That seemed super low to me. I ran that search and came up with 261 catchers. What am I missing?
4/8/2011 11:45 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 4/8/2011 8:07:00 AM (view original):
I'm thinking about drafting a 400-450 PA catcher with an A+ arm, and rolling the dice with my AAA catcher. If my AAA guy is a dud, then I would either live with it or go out into the waiver pool to get the other half of the platoon.
I do this often.  I've also drafted two 200 PA catchers (one with an A+ arm, one with a good bat) and use the AAA catcher as well.  You could hit the waiver wire or make a trade of AAA prospects if you felt it necessary.  But usually it isn't necessary if you play matchups, using the A+ arm against the speedy teams and/or as a defensive replacement.  I have also found that one gets an A or A+ armed AAA catcher anyway half of the time anymore.
4/8/2011 5:57 PM (edited)
Posted by redwingscup on 4/8/2011 11:45:00 AM (view original):
contrarian, I was surprised by your post indicating there are only two catchers (including secondary positions) who have an A+ arm, 400 or more PAs and an OPS# of .670. That seemed super low to me. I ran that search and came up with 261 catchers. What am I missing?
Missing the price tag -- mixtroy said there were catchers like this for under $3M.  
4/8/2011 12:46 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 4/8/2011 12:47:00 PM (view original):
Missing the price tag -- mixtroy said there were catchers like this for under $3M.  
'16 and '15 Schang are excellent values IMHO.  The later might be the best fitting catcher for switch hitting speed teams.
4/8/2011 3:50 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 4/8/2011 12:47:00 PM (view original):
Right.  Sorry about that.  I should have included that in my post.  $3M or less.
4/8/2011 4:55 PM
123 Next ▸
Platooning catchers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.