Your mileage may vary Topic

The first time I was up 3-0 and lost 4 straight, it was gut wrenching. Then I was down 3-0 some seasons later and came back to win 4 straight and take a WS. That was sweet. Those are the only times it's happened with my teams. But currently I have a team down 2-3 in an LCS and they'll have to have won 4 straight to reach the WS, so I'm hoping they pull a Red Sox 2004 and win -- of course.

I've had 51 world series, so that's 3.9%. But considering all of my best-of-seven series would make the percentage lower. Without checking through all of my team records, I would estimate that I've had at least twice as many LCS series. So my percentage is probably around 2%, which means I'm due for another, right?

4/9/2011 11:46 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I can only remember being in 1, maybe 2, series where either myself or my opponent was up 3-0 and ended up losing the series....
4/10/2011 1:49 AM
I was up 3-0 once and lost the next 4 straight.  In fairness it was because my team was  a lot weaker against LH pitching and my opponent exploited that well.  In bitchiness, however, using sim match-up I am quite sure I should have won every single game, much less the series.  That team was just weird, underperforming the whole season and then post-season.
4/10/2011 5:13 PM
172 season and I can only recall a couple of series going either way.  Once was a WS though, and the other team came back against me. 

Still mad.
4/10/2011 10:32 PM
Who is Gates Brown?
4/11/2011 12:19 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 4/9/2011 3:30:00 PM (view original):
According to this site:

www.whowins.com/tables/up30.html

there have been 31 times a team was down 0-3 in MLB playoff history.  One team came back.

Probably the overall comeback rate at WIS is higher than 3% -- and maybe for a few unlucky owners quite a bit higher -- but I really don't see tons of WIS teams coming back from 0-3.  If I had to guess a %, I'd say maybe 5%.

The less said about the one time a team came back from 0-3 in the playoffs the better.  Maybe I'll get over it in the next 20 years, but I sure doubt it.  For the RS fans out there, a predictable comment -- it will take another 28 rings to get over it.
4/11/2011 1:05 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 4/9/2011 4:21:00 PM (view original):
ML teams don't have Milacki and Gates Brown hiding on their bench just in case their team goes down 3-0.
Oh, that explains it.  Gates Brown.  I've been keeping Bill Gates and Jerry Brown on my bench this whole time and they haven't done a d*mn thing for me except putter on their laptops and talk.
4/11/2011 1:15 AM
Posted by epolice183 on 4/11/2011 12:19:00 AM (view original):
Who is Gates Brown?

Gates Brown is one of the great pinchhitters in baseball history.  He played with the Tigers in the `60's and `70's (no glove, so he wasn't a starter) and his best pinchhitting season was probably `68 when the Tigers won the WS.  `68 was a good pitching, bad hitting year, so his 68 numbers also normalize very well.  Maybe if Boogerlips is feeling benevolent tonight he will tell you the Gates Brown hot dog story.

And, speaking of Gates Brown, not to hijack Crazy's thread, but quick poll -- who is the best pinchhitter in baseball history?

4/11/2011 1:20 AM
◂ Prev 12
Your mileage may vary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.