S. Cal Awards Topic

Nice work, bow. Appreciate the work you put into this. I was trying to figure out who didn't vote for Emerson as POY, then I realized it was me. haha
4/12/2011 11:14 PM
thanks bill...we had 10 voters, and Emerson actually had 2 second place votes to go with 7 first place votes which is how he got to 16. 

i'm a little bummed...i actually spent about an hour and did something more official and typed out little season bios for the winners of the individual awards...

and as i was going back and fact checking and trying to edit some stuff when i hit backspace to try and delete something it took me to the last page i'd visited in my browser and i lost everything i had typed.  i was too mad to do it all again haha.  maybe next season...but for now this works :)
4/12/2011 11:24 PM
Oh that does suck. I've done stuff like that before too. That's why I always use word or notepad now when I'm writing something long. Don't understand how Emerson would get any 2nd place votes, but it's cool. Everyone is due their own opinions. Even if they're wrong. Haha.
It's still very cool that you would write bios, too bad you lost it. I wonder how good CMHMS would have been this year if jones would've got Emerson over me. My way too early prediction for next year POY is Prettyman. FWIW.
4/12/2011 11:43 PM
sweet. 

pro tip: use word for stuff like this and copy + paste, i've been doing this stuff for a while and i've made enough mistakes to know!
4/13/2011 4:44 AM
good stuff bow
4/13/2011 11:27 AM

The Southern California Conference enjoyed a banner year in the Knight World.  They dominated the non-conference schedule racking up an astonishing 100-20 record, including a 57-3 mark by the So Cal South.  Conference play proved to be very savage, with teams beating up on each other on a nightly basis.  4 teams were able to establish themselves as favorites by winning at least 12 games in Conference play, and 10 teams have put themselves in a position to received bids to postseason play.  As a conference, they are on pace to shatter the single season Conference RPI, and have claimed the top 3 single team RPI’s in the country.   These feats were not accomplished against mediocre competition, as So Cal teams boast the top 7 and 9 of the top 10 most difficult schedules in the nation.  And now for the announcement of the Conference Awards for Season 37 in the Southern California Conference.

Player of the Year:  This seasons player of the year finished 3rd in scoring in the So Cal and led his team with 17.4 points per game.  In addition to his scoring he finished 5th in the conference in rebounds, 1st in blocked shots, and 3rd in field goal percentage…all categories that he led his team in.  Perhaps his finest game of the year  came in the regular season finale when he scored 27 points and racked up 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocked shots.  From Los Alamitos California and Whittier College, Sr PF Richard Brown

Runner up:  John Niles Sr. SG LaVerne

Freshman of the Year:  It’s often tough for Freshmen to step in and make an immediate impact, especially in a Conference as deep and talented as this one.  This season drove that point home as many young players spent time as redshirts or on the bench learning from the stellar upper-classmen playing ahead of them.   However, one young player was able to leave a mark on the coaches of the So Cal.  This seasons Freshman of the Year was 5th on his team in scoring and rebounding, averaging 6.1 points per game while pulling down 3.6 rebounds per game in just over 17 minutes per contest.  A PF from Longmont Colorado and Colorado College, Thomas Linderman.

Runner Up:   Randolph Childress PF Cal Tech

Defensive Player of the Year: This seasons Defensive Player of the Year dominated at both ends of the floor, using his dominant basketball IQ to help him take over games.  This player led the conference in shot blocking at 1.8 per game, and also placed in the top 25 in steals per game with nearly 1 per contest.  His defense and rebounding often led to fast breaks the other way and were a huge factor in his teams success this season.  Already recognized as the So Cal Conference Player of the Year, this seasons Defensive Player of the Year, from Whittier, is Sr. PF Richard Brown

Runner Up:  Raymond Arter Jr. C Redlands

6th Man of the Year:  Anytime you have a Conference that has been successful on the national stage the way that the So Cal Conference has been, you are sure to have talented players who for whatever reason, do not start the game.  Perhaps there is a more talented player at their position already on the roster, or perhaps they create a huge matchup problem coming off the bench.  Whatever the reason, these players are often the spark plugs that push their team on to victory.  This seasons winner came to his school after two successful JUCO seasons and has been a mainstay coming off the bench the last 2 years.  After starting the first 6 games of the season he became the first sub off the bench and contributed 10.4 points, 2.5 rebounds, and 2.7 assists per contest in helping his team to a 14-2 Conference record and the #1 RPI.  From Texas Tyler, and hailing from Bethel, Ohio, Sr. PG Bruce Wright.

Runner Up:  Tie- Leon Young Sr. SG UCSC, Joseph Leak Jr. PG CMHMS

Coach of the Year:  This seasons coach of the year winner led his team to a 9-1 non-conference record and a 14-2 record in a stacked Southern California conference.  In just his 4th season as Head Coach, his team has won 47 games over the past 2 seasons which is the 2nd best 2 year stretch in program history…and more than they had won total in the 6 seasons prior to his arrival on campus.  They have played the 6th toughest schedule in the nation and currently have the #2 RPI and are hoping for a #1 seed in the National Tournament.  From Texas Tyler, Head Coach Bow2dacowz

Runner Up:  Kmasonbx-UCSC

All Conference First Team:

PG:  William Prettyman Sr. California Santa Cruz
SG:  John Niles Sr. LaVerne
PG: Harold Trent Sr. California Tech
PF: Richard Brown Sr. Whittier
 C:  Craig Hampton Jr.  Pomona-Pitzer

All Conference Second Team:

PG:  David Murdock Sr. Whittier
SG:  Gary Reeves Sr.  LaVerne   
PG: Oscar Thomas Sr. Pomona-Pitzer
 C:  Raymond Arter Jr. Redlands
 C:  Michael Mahoney Sr. Texas Tyler

5/13/2011 12:52 AM (edited)
Nice work, bow. Thanks for doing this. I will add that we will almost definitely have the highest conference RPI ever. I'm surprised and pleased to see Hampton and Thomas make the list. Hampton is shooting for CPOY next season.
5/13/2011 12:09 AM
Nice work bow, thanks for doing this.
5/13/2011 1:02 AM
i think i should win an award for not having anyone on the first or second team (or, frankly, anyone who received any votes probably, except sherman, who was WAY better than any could ever know because defense doesn't show up in the #s) and still having a top 10 rpi team. prop that joey leak TIED for runner up for 6th man of the year. forgot about him! 

preseason favorite for next year's 6th man of the year? john curley, ladies and gentlemen. 

why trent sucks: (he doesn't suck) his %s are not good and he played a ton of the game. he turned it over a lot. he is not a great defender. his lack of athleticism held him back. he is a strong player for a d3 player and against less deadly defenses would shoot better %s. if you compare him to niles, niles is SO much more talented because of the ath and ball handling. those are insanely important attributes to scoring. just look at the differences in efficiency. but yes, trent is basically... monta ellis or someone.
5/13/2011 2:51 AM
for instance, if you needed a pg, assuming IQs the same, would you rather have trent or murdock?

if you needed a sg, would you rather have trent or john harp?

for me, in both instances, i would choose the latter. 

what im trying to say is that trent isn't THAT talented (he does things well, stuff you'd love in a 6th man, but when he's your #1 option by far, he's just not going to be that efficient), so him not winning POY in this shouldn't be that disappointing.
5/13/2011 2:55 AM (edited)
definitely interesting that between santa cruz, cmhms and texas tyler who obviously had 3 of the top 4 records in the regular season, we only had 2 guys on the top 2 teams and 1 guy on the first team
5/13/2011 10:18 AM
In my attempt (not 100% accurate) at PER, Trent finished 29th out of players who played 15 MPG or more.  Don't get me wrong, he has nice ratings, but I think overdistro caused him to only shoot .379 from 3pt land, 45% from 2 pt land, and averaged 3.5 TO a game (by over 16, he lead the conference in turnovers).

As for other awards- I'm curious how much the MPG helped Wright win 6th man.  Not that I don't think he's deserving, but I think a few players put up better numbers per minute than he did.

Pleasently shocked on Linderman, as I thought Childress beat him in every category.  Maybe minutes played does a lot with this crowd :)

Great season all, looking forward to the postseason!

5/13/2011 10:59 AM (edited)
I agree with that jones, I wasn't really saying he should have won POY, I voted for him, but like I said, I'm biased. As for overdistro asher, I really didn't give him that high of a distro. I've noticed that PGs always are higher than you give them and the fact that he plays 35 MPG he took more shots. The few times I turned his distro down to the third highest, he didn't take the shots when he needed to. Being the only person that read every game's PBP, he could turn a game so quick by scoring 8 or 9 points in a minute. There were HALVES when he scored 20. Most of his misses were because he was doubled almost every game. Would I have liked a higher shooting percentage? Of course. Am I happy with his performance? Who wouldn't be?
On a side note, we weren't expected to do anything this year and we went 3-5 against top 5 teams, so obviously he was ok.
5/13/2011 11:19 AM (edited)
Thanks for the work bow
5/13/2011 11:33 AM
I actually think Trent's defense was better than his D rating indicated because of his speed. I look at how my guards struggled against CIT, and if Trent was actually a bad defender there is no way that would've been the case.  In the first game when I was at home Prettyman went 4-13 and Thornton went 3-11. In the 2nd game Thornton played better going 6-13 but Prettyman went 2-8 for a combined 6-21 in the 2 games. Speed in guards does a lot to offset lower D ratings.
5/13/2011 11:42 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
S. Cal Awards Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.