Just outta sheer curiosity but how do you draft a team in a 40m cap.  I'm not looking for specific players but i've been trying and everything i come up with seems like they will be fatigued by game 30.  It would be a bit easier if AAA players were allowed but they aren't.  So what should someone expect in a 40m league, a lot of tired players?  and bad pitching stats and hitting stats....i'm lost...
4/12/2011 12:50 AM
Just spend it all on offense.
4/12/2011 1:13 AM
Here's some tips. Don't skimp too much on fatigue it's probably better to use worse players and keep them somewhat healthy. Take value wherever you find it, don't get stuck on specific ideas such as '4 man rotation' or '8 full time hitters' as these are probably not the best value here. Mix and match using all 25 roster positions.
Look for SP who hit in the low .200s, you'll need their production but if they hit too much you're overpaying for them. Don't be afraid to have a few highHR pitchers, you need the savings and your opponents couldn't afford to draft many HR. You can't afford an A+ arm either.
You'll have a lot of D- range players, make sure they aren't too terrible and try to keep them at 100% or else they'll make a lot more minus plays. If everyone is around 90-95% fatigue it's probably better to wear out a couple positions and get back to 100% at the important defensive positions.
and here's some ideas for limiting fatigue. Choose an extreme pitchers ballpark. Bat your pitcher leadoff and don't pinch hit for him. Don't rest players in a blowout because of the 6PA limit.
These leagues are a lot of work. You can gain an advantage by constantly juggling your roster and playing the matchups.
4/12/2011 11:35 AM (edited)
I've had some success strategically picking one-dimensional players. By that, I mean guys who hit homers but have a low average, or have a good glove but a poor bat, or great contact hitters with no defense or power. Carefully chosen, those type of guys can often find a home on a $40M team.
4/12/2011 10:57 AM

I will admit, it's been a while since I've played in one, but I know that bad fatigue (Less than 85%) will kill any chance you have at consistently winning.  For a 40 million league, you are going to have to draft players with stats you would normally never dream of taking in an 80 million league.  Hitters with .225 .275 .350 lines and pitchers with WHIPs of 1.75 are going to be common, and actually may be very good compared to other players in the league.  However, I wouldn't "expect bad pitching stats and hitting stats", as bad hitters will hit bad pitchers better, and bad pitchers will get bad hitters out.

Similarly, there are lots of strategies.  If you are used to playing high cap leagues, you may think that guys like 1886 Jim Lillie and 1977 Rob Picciolo are worse than garbage, but they give you lots of PAs for cheap, can hit toward the bottom of your lineup and can let you spend cash on stronger players.  Conversely, you can take 3-5 guys in the $3.5 million range and platoon at each other position and hope they carry your offence.  On the pitching end, 10-12 100-150 IP under $2 million pitchers may dominate a league like this, or you can go big with starters like 1903 Togie Pittenger and 1888 Lev Shreve and fill in the pen with guys less than $1 mil each.  Or, you can draft some 200K garbage guys and run them into the ground to save PAs if injuries are off.

The point is, strategies abound at $40 mil becuase there are no cookie cutter teams.  That's the best part about them, you can make it your own.  But I would be sure to have enough PAs and IP to not fatigue yourself out of wins.

4/12/2011 11:26 AM (edited)
Don't take Jim Lillie...he's be awful in a 20 million cap.
4/12/2011 11:21 PM
There are a few guys that would fit in botha $40M and a $80M cap: Tim Jordan, Mark Loretta, Otis Nixon...
4/12/2011 11:40 PM
I've actually used the '86 Jim Lillie as high as $100m successfully. Won a WS at $100m by drafting hitting pitchers (Caruthers, Hoffer, W. Johnson) and drafting Lillie to hit 9th as a cheap PA  filler. I consider him indispensable at $40m, but there are a large number of strategies that can be successful at that cap. My last $40m league WS was one with the '18 Ruth as the centerpiece of my offense... I've won others with Kingman and Deer as the centerpieces... The + numbers matter more at this cap and the relation of the # numbers to the RL stats.... Historically I've always built my teams around offense at this cap, though in the $40m league zubinsum is running I'm doing both an offense oriented and a pitching oriented team for the fun of it.
4/13/2011 2:06 AM
$40m leagues are my absolute favorite cap based leagues on the site.
4/13/2011 2:07 AM
Posted by just4me on 4/13/2011 2:07:00 AM (view original):
$40m leagues are my absolute favorite cap based leagues on the site.
Then why haven't you entered a team yet?
4/13/2011 3:18 AM
Haha! Same reason I'm behind on all of my progressive drafts and submitting keepers... The good news is, I'm dedicating tonight to catching up on all my WIS stuffs as I'll be out of town for awhile withou Internet.
4/13/2011 2:55 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.