A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

bump
4/13/2011 6:40 PM
Ok.  Question.  I understand that a simai recruits without a distance penalty, but what distance do they 'recruit at'?  Would I have an advantage in leverage over them at 70 or less miles?
4/13/2011 8:18 PM
One item I'd add (and frankly I see a lot of experienced coaches doing this too) is to get too excited by drop-downs and get their hopes up, waiting and ignoring "almost-as-good" kids who are out there.  You need to honestly look at your team prestige and asess where you are on the drop down pecking order.  Otherwise, you wait for a juicy drop down and then before you get a crack a school with better prestige snags them.  And in the mean time decent players are gone.

If you are an "A-/A/A+" prestige team, you really don't need this guide, but waiting on drop downs is essential to sustain.  Teams in the B range (especially "B & B+") play with caution.  Teams "B-" and below I feel may be better off evaluating what they already can see, especially if they have a lot of open spots--a good question to ask is "what if I don't get this guy?".

Bottom lines drop downs are great, but if your prestige is lower I feel you are better off to pull down kids in your range (ie: that you can afford--within 300 miles or so) or take kids already at your level.  Waiting on drop downs with a lower prestige team is a recipe for continued mediocrity unless you can afford to gamble (and lose) a player.

4/14/2011 6:17 AM
Posted by mjp8 on 4/13/2011 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by _hannibal_ on 4/13/2011 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Looks like everybody has forgotten about zhawks guide: www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx

Who was the last new coach that found this post on his own?

My point in posting this is that we need a guide on a main page to help whether it was mine or somebody elses.  This game can't grow unless a rookie can just see how to play easily.
Nobody's ever going to find it unless people who know about it point to its existence at the appropriate time.  I wasn't trying to attack you or disparage your efforts. 

We used to have the threads in the Critical News forum pinned to the top of this forum.  The powers that be decided to split them out to the Critical News forum.  So it seems unlikely that we'll get a similar thread pinned to this forum.

4/14/2011 8:48 AM
Its not 200, its 250-260.
4/14/2011 11:12 AM
I would add a few things as well targeted at coaches coming over to HD from GD since there are subtle differences in recruiting.

1.  In HD potential is done by attribute whereas in GD it is done as a whole (a recruit is high potentil, average potential or low potential).  Understanding potential is key to knowing which players to target in recruiting.  It goes without saying, but the more categories a player is high potential in the better (especially the more "core" categories).  USE FSS TO GET POTENTIALS!

2.  Another coach pointed this out, but high potential is divided into 2 categories: high and high-high.  High-high attributes will improve by 28 points ore more.  At the end of this post are the messages that you will get in emails from your AC after scouting trips to help you determine if an attribute is high potential or high-high potential.  Again, use scouting trips to find out if high potential attributes are just high or if they are high-high.  To show what high-high can mean, I have a PG on my D3 team in IBA who is a JR currently.  He started out with a PER rating of 16 but his potential was high-high there.  He is up to 65 halfway through his JR season.  You can't count on all high-high attributes improving that much (most won't), but the point here is to not be scared off of a recruit with a low starting value in a core attribute as long as his potential in that category is at least high and more preferably high-high.

3. In HD the first recruiting cycle is only 2 hours and each cycle after that is 3 hours.  The first cycle runs at 6pm ET.  In GD the first cycle is 24 hours and starts at noon.  It is very important that you make phone calls to the D2 players you are targeting as possible pull downs in the first cycle.  For the ones where you get the backup message, decide which ones you want to target with your scholarships and use the info in the first post in this thread to then execute the pull down.

4.  In HD a scholarhip offer counts as recruiting effort.  In GD it does not.  Offer scholarships as soon as you begin the pull down process for pull downs (once you know you are a backup and the player can be pulled down) and offer scholarships early on for D3 players you are targeting because it will help to get the player to consider you.

5.  Don't listen to anything jbrewman says about pull downs.  He does it the wrong way.

6.  Pull downs can't be done in GD but they can in HD.  Don't over do it the first time you recruit in HD trying to get pull downs for all of your scholarships.  It is too expensive.  I generally suggest only using pull downs for half of your scholarships that first season.

7. This is not really related to recruiting, but you need to know it when you recruit.  In GD it will not hurt the effectiveness of your practice on player improvement if you take SimAI/walkon type recruits.  In HD IT WILL IF YOU TAKE 2 OR MORE WALKONS.  In GD there aren't really "walkons" just SimAI signed recruits that are crappy.  In HD the Sim will not fill scholarships you leave open but instead your team will take walkons.  Those scholarships are then available to you again the next season.  Due to the negative impact of 2 ore more walkons on player development, try to never take more than 1 walkon because you are slowing down the development off all your players if you do.

Hopefully all of this helps a bit. 

Here are the potentials messages:

High-Highs
Ath
Definitely wasn't the best athlete on the floor - unless I'm an idiot and/or this is the laziest kid ever, we can *dramatically* improve his athleticism.
Spd
if he works hard at it, we could see *massive* improvement here
Reb
Fantastic rebounding instincts - there's no reason to NOT expect HUGE improvement here.
Def
I really think we could see massive improvement by his Senior year.
Sb
he's shown glimpses of raw ability which make me think he just has *tremendous* room for improvement
Lp
skys the limit
Per
I see such solid fundamentals that with enough practice I don't see why he can't be a *significantly* better shooter than he is today
Bh
he has the raw skills to make me think he has *tremendous* upside.
Pass
with more experience I expect to see TREMENDOUS improvement.
Sta
with the right diet and drills, I think we can see a *dramatic* change in his conditioning

Highs
Ath
Good athleticism - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he could improve substantially if he really works at it.
Spd
with the right diet and conditioning he could be MUCH quicker than he is today
Reb
based on my experience, he can still improve substantially if we work with him and he's willing.
Def
if he's willing to listen, we could really see some major improvement.
Sb
has a LOT of room for growth with the right drills and coaching. / definitely has above average room for growth with the right drills and coaching
Lp
has a LOT of room for growth with the right drills and coaching.
Per
I know this may sound crazy, but I think he has the potential to really improve his shot.
Bh
with the right drills and assuming he's willing to put in the time, I see big upside
Pass
I'd like to see him play more, but still, I really think we could see fairly significant improvement.
Sta
even with that, I think we can really improve upon his conditioning
FT%
the fundamentals look solid, with time and coaching, he could really show some improvement. - i think there is only high potential for FT as i have never seen any other message

4/14/2011 11:22 AM (edited)
Scholarship counts as recruiting effort? Anyone can confirm this?
4/14/2011 12:55 PM
Wanted to bump this for Rupp taking new coaches and recruiting
4/16/2011 8:45 AM

I have a question about this part------------

a. First cycle phone call with backup message
b. Eventually you hear back that he is now interested
c. Send him a campus visit and scholarship offer
d. He either comes back considering you or he needs more effort
e. Repeat until you are on his list

------------------

So at what point do you find out if he has these "high potentials without a scouting visit?  Are you saying with "pulldowns" you don't need scouting visits, or his potential is not important?

Or the FSS is enough info?

4/16/2011 6:22 PM (edited)
FSS tells you high or low, evals will tell if that high is a high-high (28+) or a low-high (20-27). And with drop downs you do not need evals, that is what makes them drop downs instead of pull downs.
4/16/2011 6:31 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by jbrewman1 on 4/16/2011 6:34:00 PM (view original):
I'll add my 2 cents one last time. At D3,with your limited money, the cheapest way to recruit is with scholarship offers(scholarship offers are cheaper than SV's and neither are refundable). Offer the scholarship, if the guy keeps it on the table then he is open to all the other efforts mentioned before. If he declines your offer (some have re-offered and been successful, at D3 I don't recommend this) then you can move on to your next target. I'm not saying throw out 20 scholarship offers, just offer the ones that are high on your list. If the offer is left on the table then you will not waste your money throwing SV's, HV's and CV's. 

Great stuff mjp8. 
really, this bs again? We know you are bsing around, please don't offer poor information to new coaches in this thread. If you want to troll around, start ur own thread. 
4/16/2011 7:17 PM
This is not bs, geeeeeeesh...  Just out of your league I guess... 
4/16/2011 7:19 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
omg really just like that he sucked you all into it again and what was a useful thread will now be filled with 10 pages of arguing back and forth.

Also you need to add DEF as a core attribute as its important for any position.
4/16/2011 7:27 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.