A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

Great point kimble, but, if you offer the shollie and its rejected then you can move on. If he keeps it on the table then he is open to your other efforts. I have wasted many SV's on players that had me as a backup option. Maybe i've just had bad luck with being the backup but I'd rather spend 100 off the bat than to waste 151 each time with a guy. Throw me under the buses all you want but that has been my most effective way at D3. 
4/16/2011 7:29 PM
I'm not arguing , that is fact. 
4/16/2011 7:35 PM
My bad guys, going to keep it to sitemail.
4/16/2011 7:36 PM
I have just as much right to post my opinions as you do . If you don't like them then don't read em... I don't like most of yours but I don't complain about them... 
4/16/2011 7:37 PM
I'm glad you took that one off but I did read it dac... 
4/16/2011 7:43 PM
Or you can save your money and ask jbrewman1 how to do so. It's really your choice. You would not believe how many have sitemailed me to ask for advice dac... It's been overwhelming really... 
4/16/2011 7:47 PM
Your opinion on job change, not a fan of it. 
4/16/2011 7:48 PM
jbrew- I'm sure your method will work, but it is not the most efficient use of your recruiting budget. There is no need to spend $100 to get the same information you can get by spending $10. 
4/16/2011 7:58 PM
jbrewman,

its fine if you want to post your opinion i'm not arguing that point, but please don't spam threads and hijack threads.

Oh and incase anybody wanted to know why he thinks its better here is how he figures it out. If you make a phone call at 10$ and the player is interested you now offer a schollarship for 100$ meaning you spent 110$. Now instead if you just offer the shcollarship right off the bat you save yourself 10$ because you don't need to make a phone call. I don't use this method but using this very simple math you can see how it "could" save you money.
4/16/2011 7:59 PM
It's the schollie vs. the SV. That is my point. Why waste money on a SV that will never happen? 
4/16/2011 8:18 PM
Ugh this again ruining a good thread. 

Jbrewman I get what you are trying to say but listen

In 1 action you can find out if a D2 player will consider you and drop down. You can send him a scholarship offer like you say, this costs 100 bucks.

Or you can send him a phone call and find out if you are a backup, this costs 10

The SV only comes in if you want to try to pull the player down, you are arguing SV vs scholarship but the real debate should be scholarship vs phone call, in that case phone call wins every time. Nobody is using SV to determine IF a player will drop.

In the end yes you could save $10 this way, but you also wind up sending a ton of scholarships. I usually send 20-40 phone calls to guys, I cant send a scholarship to each of them. What if 15 keep it on the board, then I've wasted lots of money.

4/16/2011 9:09 PM (edited)
Well this post has been ruined by bickering, as WIS was thinking about pinning it or not. Thanks dudes
4/16/2011 9:07 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Well good luck as a new coach at a C- school picking the 4 players who are going to drop to you, this is a new coach guide and general consensus is that the phone calls to plenty of potential drop downs is the way to go. As for what your plan is it is clear most people disagree with you so don't you think in a new coach guide you'd be better off not trying to argue for it? There is more than 1 way to skin a cat and this is a guide for a new coach to learn the bare bones way that most coaches would agree with. Please stop arguing with everyone in here so this can be helpful to a mass amount of people.
4/16/2011 9:53 PM

Money?  Does that really matter around here?  Money is easy to come by.  Knowledge and time...now thats a different story.  :)

4/16/2011 10:27 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.