Off Topic: Vista Anti-Virus 2011 removal.. Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
No, I haven't.  Whenever I open up a page that pops up a 'Your computer may be infected' type page that requires any clicking - even clicking to close - I just shut down my computer immediately.
4/17/2011 10:32 PM
I use Norton Security Suite because it is included with my internet service (Comcast).  It is excellent, and I would probably use Norton or McAfee anyway.

Beware of any application offering a FREE SCAN of your computer (like MyCleanPC as seen on TV).  They will ALWAYS find registry errors, spyware, viruses, etc. because they load them into your computer when you download their software.  Then, they will clean up the junk (that they put on your computer) if you buy a subscription.

4/18/2011 12:11 AM
Download Malwarebytes (free version...do not pay for it).  You can find it at CNET.com or any number of other sites.  Download it, update it and run a full scan on your computer.  It is pretty much the only tool that will get rid of this particular virus/trojan.
4/18/2011 11:45 AM
Agreed with ctorkelson.  My kid just got one of those scarewares (MS Removal Tool) on his computer.  I had to download it in "Safe Mode with Networking" mode.  Then I downloaded Malwarebytes (free version). I ran it in safe mode but it didn't work.  I ran it on the live version and it removed.  i am not sure if I killed it first with RKill.

Here is the article from bleepingcomputer.com that was particuarly helpful to me.

www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011
4/18/2011 12:05 PM
Wow, I posted this Fri hoping for something, but after nada for 2 days?
I was kinda weirded out that I was the only one? Checked back today and BOOM.

I'll follow ctorkelson's and raucous' advice and see what happens ....ty.
4/18/2011 4:09 PM
btw, ct, whenever I've come accross your handle in posts, I always hearken back to the days of the Monkees.... I know Peter's real name started w/ Th, but still, always makes me smile...

And juice, from what I've read, you are not alone in your feelings for the creator of this thing....
4/18/2011 4:27 PM (edited)
I'll add my endorsement to Malwarebytes, and bleepingcomputer. They've helped me out a few times.
4/18/2011 4:30 PM
The anti-virus pro and the similarly named virused are nasty.  Once your computer is infected, it's a b*tch to get it cleaned up..  You can remove the virus exe file and it could re-install itself the next time you boot up.  There are hiddenstuff inside your registry files that need to be removed (which is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing).  When it infected my laptop, I spent all weekend researching and figureing out how to get it cleaned up. 

Interestingly enough, my desktop at work almost got hit today.  Luckily, I recognized it right away.  I immediately shut down the pc manually and used malwarebytes to get rid of the infected files before too much damage got done.
4/18/2011 9:30 PM
Off Topic: Vista Anti-Virus 2011 removal.. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.