Conservatives killing teens!!! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Hey swamp the numbers are still suggestive of a problem.  We can debate all we want about whether same sex marriage should be supported (or whether those who oppose it are, by definition, intolerant).  We can also call into question the veracity of the study and specifically where it was focused (one of the most liberal states in the nation) - I spent 10 years in that state myself.  We can also call into question specific wording in the article which suggest a particular slant.

But even with the sample size, the numbers are worth looking into.  And if they do represent a problem, it would be worth looking into to in order to help prevent further occurances.  Suicide is usually a permanent end to a temporary problem (always permanent end, problem itself usually temporary).

Most conservatives would be careful about what sort of solutions or help society, and particularly government, can offer, but should be compassionate toward a very real problem nevertheless.
4/20/2011 6:12 AM
I think one of the key words is "attempts".  There weren't 304 successful suicides, there were 304 attempts.   For lack of a better word, teens are an "unstable" study group.  Their lives can be "great" and "horrible" within the span of a few hours.    An "attempt" might constitute eating a bottle of ibuprofen in their mind when, at worst, they get a stomach ache.   Even worse, they may be all better the next day when they're boyfriend apologizes.

Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in this "study".   But the left will.
4/20/2011 10:11 AM
 I wouldn't put a lot of stock into it either.  Certainly, bullying and non-discrimination, at least in terms of employment and the like are areas of common ground.  How we treat people we disagree with matters.
4/20/2011 10:30 AM
I think the whole campaign against bullying has caused un upturn in suicide.

We tell kids that being bullyed is the worst thing. We give them a reason to kill themselves, "I was bullyed"!
4/20/2011 2:56 PM
That might just crack your 'top five stupidest things ever said' list. Well done.
4/20/2011 3:03 PM
Posted by antonsirius on 4/20/2011 3:03:00 PM (view original):
That might just crack your 'top five stupidest things ever said' list. Well done.

You deal in theory and I deal in reality.

Someone said that bullying was a problem. So we start all these anti-bullying campaigns.

More kids are attempting suicide.

This is not a scientific study and I am open to people explaing why I am wrong.

It just seems like if you are trying to stop "A" and you try "B" and you get more "A" you might want to look into "B".

4/20/2011 3:17 PM
You know what else has happened since the increase in attempted teen suicides? Obama became president.

ZOMFG OBAMA IS KILLIN TEH CHILLUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4/20/2011 3:54 PM
Permissive parenting and mamby pamby "everyone wins" attitude has weakened the resolve of today's youth.  

"If you want to wear a tutu, Little Johnny, it's OK.  You're still a winner!!!"
4/20/2011 3:55 PM
And we are telling them that commiting suicide is the normal response to bullying.

I was a fat kid with glasses in high school, and I was more opinionated than I am now, I know a little about this.

No matter how crappy kids made me feel I just found a way to fight back. And I would never consider suicide.
4/20/2011 5:47 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 4/20/2011 5:47:00 PM:
And we are telling them that commiting suicide is the normal response to bullying.

You should probably stop doing that.

Although now that I think about it, having swamp try to convince teenagers to commit suicide might be the perfect way to talk them out of it.
4/20/2011 6:31 PM
12345 Next ▸
Conservatives killing teens!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.