It's draft day, so it's time once again for... Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/26/2012 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by eschwartz67 on 4/28/2011 11:29:00 PM (view original):
And yet another one.  Wilkerson is decent.  DaQuon Bowers was the pick to make
25 tackles, 1.5 sacks(in same game).    Kind of hard to judge a DL from stats alone but those don't jump out at you.
You're right.  Those stats dont jump out at you.  But...  he started only the last 6 games of the season due to a severe knee injury in his senior season at Clemson and thus his late start with the Bucs.  He was thrown into the mix late in the season, and due to conditioning, didnt play in over 70% of the team's defensive plays.  He achieved ALL those stats while losing in the game, showing that he was utilized late in games after the outcome had been decided, due to his injuries that slowed his development (and the Bucs sucked in the last 6 games of the season...  lol).

Wilkerson started and played almost every down of every Jets game.  He had 49 tackles and 3 sacks.  I will LAY MONEY that this season Bowers outperforms Wilkerson, and goes on to a WAY better career.  If I were the Jets, I would have looked past Bowers' rookie season being less than stellar because of his rehabilitation from an injury, and gambled that he recovered because his potential upside was WAY higher than Wilkerson's would EVER be.  

But what do I know?
4/27/2012 11:20 AM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 4/27/2012 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/27/2012 8:00:00 AM (view original):
If nothing else, the Raiders didn't screw up in the first round this season!!!!
Yeah....they started earlier by trading for Palmer.
LOL @ Oakland
4/27/2012 11:20 AM
When your coach is guaranteeing Super Bowls, it's hard to sell "Yeah but in 3 years....."    Especially in the NFL where careers often don't last 3 years.    No one likes a 3 year plan in the NFL.   In fact, the NFL is designed for rags to riches stories.   As I said before, DL with bum knees are scheduled for long careers.

Pretty much what I just said applies.   The Raiders have been the dregs of the NFL for the last decade.  They had a shot and their QB went down.  You can play Kyle Boller or you can overpay for a competent QB.   In that situation, they needed a QB not named Kyle Boller.
4/27/2012 12:46 PM
Mike...   Rex Ryan guaranteeing Super Bowls could be backed up with actually APPEARING in a Super Bowl.  Getting there means taking chances, and acquiring talent that is capable of taking you to the Super Bowl. 

Da'Quon Bowers won the Bronko Nagurski Award as the best defensive player in the NCAA for the 2010 season, right before his draft in April 2011.  While this is not a foolproof measure of success in the NFL....   past winners of the award (that was started in 1993) include Warren Sapp, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Roy Williams, Terrell Suggs, Derrick Johnson, Elvis Dumerville, James Laurinaitis, Glenn Dorsey, Brian Orakpo & Ndomukong Suh before Bowers won it.  Of course, Derrick Strait who won the award was never more than a backup for the NY Jets when they drafted him....  but the vast majority of this award's winners have gone onto NFL success.  It would not have been considered a "stretch" to take him with the 30th overall pick in the draft.  If they took him with a top 5 or 10 pick...  that would be a mistake...  but to take him with a 30th overall pick would have been a steal, because without the injury, he would have been a top 5 selection FOR SURE.
4/27/2012 1:33 PM
How many of those Bronko winners limped out of college?
4/27/2012 1:35 PM
I'll put it another.   It's easy for me and you to scream "TAKE CHANCES!!!!" because our jobs don't depend on the success rate of those chances.    As you know, Belichek can go for it on 4th/2 in his territory and everyone shrugs while saying "I guess he thought that gave him the best chance to win."    Mike Smith does it in Atlanta and everyone goes "WTF WAS HE THINKING?!??!?!  PUNT THE BALL AWAY AND MAKE 'EM DRIVE THE LENGTH OF THE FIELD!!!  ******* IDIOT!!!"
4/27/2012 1:39 PM
Video needs to be updated with Gholston and DeWayne Robertson
4/27/2012 2:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/27/2012 1:39:00 PM (view original):
I'll put it another.   It's easy for me and you to scream "TAKE CHANCES!!!!" because our jobs don't depend on the success rate of those chances.    As you know, Belichek can go for it on 4th/2 in his territory and everyone shrugs while saying "I guess he thought that gave him the best chance to win."    Mike Smith does it in Atlanta and everyone goes "WTF WAS HE THINKING?!??!?!  PUNT THE BALL AWAY AND MAKE 'EM DRIVE THE LENGTH OF THE FIELD!!!  ******* IDIOT!!!"
I dont disagree with that statement at all.   but we're talking about the thirtieth pick in the draft, Mike.  Thirtieth.   Looking at other Jet disasters....  how bad would it be if he never even played a game?   LOL

30th pick.  Not 2nd (Blair Thomas,  Lam Jones), 4th (Marvin Jones, DeWayne Robertson), 6th (Vernon Gholston), 8th (Dave Cadigan), 9th (Kyle Brady), 10th (Russell Carter), 14th (Jeff Lageman), 15th (Ron Faurot, Johnny Mitchell), 16th (Hugh Douglas), or 21st (Roger Vick).  Rex Ryan is not as safe as Bill Belichick by any means....  but coming off a season where he had just led the Jets to back to back AFC Championship games, he was not in jeopardy.  And at the 30th spot in the draft, he could have chosen to gamble on the best defensive player in NCAA division 1 football who had an injury that allowed him to slip from one of the 5 worst NFL franchises to one who could afford to wait for him to heal and contribute and not be fired.

If he wasn't fired for licking women's feet, he wouldn't have been fired for taking a gamble on the best defensive player (when healthy) in the NCAA ranks the season right before.
4/27/2012 3:22 PM
If the 30th pick in the draft is of such little importance why does your heartthrob Belichick constantly trade down to get MORE, yet lower, draft picks?

I'm not saying Rex would have been fired if Bowers played 3 downs in his NFL career, I'm saying coaches need players to contribute in order to win.   When you're guaranteeing big things, you need contributors even more.
4/27/2012 4:00 PM
Did the Bears draft a male QB this year?  or is it Judy Cutler and her sore P#ssy once  again?
4/29/2012 12:56 AM
Let me guess....randletard is still utterly clueless about football?
4/29/2012 5:52 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Yep....clueless.
4/29/2012 9:48 PM
 like arthritis ..if it is warm and Judy Cutler has the pregame douche ..you never know ? if the moons align and weather cooperates Judy Cutler and the Bears may have a 6 win season..?
4/30/2012 12:32 AM
Well, the Bears have done just about everything they can to surround him with receiving talent.   They got his buddy Marshall from Miami.   They drafted Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd round.   That's two big, surehanded WR to corral his errant passes.    If Cutler doesn't throw for 4500 yards and 40 TD this season, he never will. 
4/30/2012 8:48 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
It's draft day, so it's time once again for... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.