I'll try to explain it to you.  Say one team is intent on reducing payroll to the minimum, dumping all it's legit BL players and "rebuilding".   He's not putting up any competition and he'll win the minimum amount required to get 1st pick.   For several seasons because that's how tanking is done.  He'll win 140 games over 4 seasons.  But, sadly, the players he's acquired aren't ready in season 5.   So he has to do it for a few more seasons to get all his high-priced IFA and top draft picks ready at the same time.  Season 6 or 7 in the "rebuild" sounds about right. 

Now say 6 teams do it. 

How good do you think that world will be?   For almost 2 REAL-LIFE YEARS you have half a dozen teams trying to see who can lose the most.  Because you don't play in a vacuum, someone is getting those wins.   Even in ****** worlds, a couple of wins can make the difference between the playoffs and pick #18.   And, since tanking works, owners in tanker worlds SHOULD play all or nothing.   If you don't have one of the top 3-5 teams, you should start tanking too.   So now you have 5 teams blowing up payroll because that's what they should do.   Then, when their time is done, they should dump the old, expensive team and move on because the tankers will have young, inexpensive teams for the forseeable future.   Lots of worlds to choose from, no need to fight that fight.  Now you have trouble filling the world.

It's all about what you want from this game. 
8/5/2011 3:36 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Pretty hard if 5-6 others are employing the same "strategy"
8/5/2011 4:50 PM
I stand by my statement.  If there is serious competition between 5-6 owners with deep pockets for the best IFAs, the bidding gets pretty ridiculous.  Also, the more tankers in a world, the harder it is to get that 1st-3rd pick in the draft.  Also, in a world where tanking is an acceptable "strategy", there tends to be high turnover, and no knowledgeable vet wants to join, so there is noob incompetence and well as plain incompetence to compete against for that high draft position.  Now do you see how it becomes more difficult to pull off an effective tank job when there are others doing the same?
8/5/2011 5:39 PM
I can't believe I'm reading this argument.
8/6/2011 9:02 AM
It's not really an argument.   If you're in a world where tanking is acceptable, 0 is the floor.  Doesn't matter if one owner is aiming for it or 10 aspire to lose 162.    The world becomes ridiculously stupid.   I'm not even sure what shobob is trying to prove.   That it's harder to get 1st pick if someone else is also trying for it?  Sure.  Don't know how that makes the situation "better".
8/6/2011 9:31 AM
I didn't mean to imply any value judgments.  Just stating that when there is competition for the first overall pick, it becomes more "difficult" to achieve.  Simple point really.  This thread is called tanking 101.
8/6/2011 3:12 PM
Shobob regularly tanks as commissioner of Yaz
8/6/2011 3:32 PM
Yep, we have a regular race to the bottom there every season.  I've finished last in that race a few times though recently.
8/6/2011 3:35 PM
BUMP FOR CLOUDG IN CHAMPIONS!!!!
12/1/2011 6:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2011 6:45:00 PM (view original):
BUMP FOR CLOUDG IN CHAMPIONS!!!!
HE PAID HIS MONEY!!!  

HE CAN RUN HIS TEAM ANY WAY HE WANTS!!! 

HE DID HIS BEST TO WIN AS MANY GAMES AS HE COULD WITH REPLACEMENT LEVEL PLAYERS!!!  

THIS IS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE!!!

12/1/2011 7:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.