Realistic Number of Injuries but with Better Recov Topic

It would be nice to have a number of injuries that are equivalent to real life.  It would also be nice for those who don't completely recover, to sometimes/often be allowed a more rapid recovery over time.

(It would also be nice for those players whose ratings suffer from holding out as FA's to be allowed a rapid recovery of ratings, once they start playing.)
5/28/2011 9:17 AM
Medical budget.  Use it.
5/28/2011 1:51 PM
So, you are asking for about 5 times more injuries, correct? You do realize you are asking for that?

I'd welcome it, but I highly doubt you would.
5/29/2011 12:10 AM
163 players currently on the MLB disabled list. Compare that with your current world. ANY world.
5/29/2011 12:14 AM
Here's what happens if you budget for medical:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Juan Medrano

Low health guy gets injured.  Low health guy recovers ratings.
5/29/2011 5:24 AM
No response!

Tacit approval to increase injuries 5 fold for more realism!
5/30/2011 7:57 AM
I'm not exactly sure how the injury thing works, but I know there was a huge problem in HD a few years ago that they ended up fixing. Guys who got injured for a long period took a ratings hit and lost valuable development time.  A two month injury, regardless of the injury, would kill their career. I don't think that large of hit was intended, so they fixed it.

In HBD when a young player gets injured say for a half season or more, this can happen as far as I've experienced; the loss of development time seems to be the biggest hit, not the injury.  I dunno, is it meant to be such a drastic hit to the player in this situation?
5/30/2011 10:30 AM

Real life prospects get hurt all the time and never make it.  We just don't know about them because no one really follows the MLB draft.    In all honesty, the three most talked about amateur players in recent history, IMO, were Strasburg, Harper and Mauer.    Two of them are out with injury and may never be the same.

5/30/2011 11:14 AM
yeah, valid point...but I'm not so concerned with the question of if HBD matches real life or not.  I'm just wondering if they've calculated the development hit that a player takes in addition to the injury.  As I mentioned, a long time ago in HD they had such an error that was uncorrected.

If you think about it, a player's development shouldn't be stunted because of an injury more than the injury itself. Say players develop initially for a 4 year period (as I've read is the case, more or less). If injured, that development period shouldn't be lost, but just put on hold and extended for the amount of time that the guy was injured for....no?

If injuries want to damage a career, fine. But careers shouldn't be lost because of lost development time.
6/7/2011 12:26 PM
Its hard to make an absolute rule with that.  You would have to say that a CF or SS who blows out a knee shouldn't take a hit to speed and range.  How can you say that if injuries are to be part of the game.  Some pitcher comeback from Tommy John, just as good as they were, but thats an 18 month recovery period.  Do you really want a guy to sit out for a season and a half?  Some injuries, sure they shouldn't permenantly affect ratings, but for the most part, an injury serious enough to warrant a 60 DL stint, is more than serious.
6/7/2011 12:36 PM
I think you missed my point, tbarket.  I'm taking about separating the impact of the injury itself from the loss of development time.  Development time shouldn't be simply lost regardless of which type of injury or how severe it is. 
6/7/2011 12:42 PM
Ah, I see.  So an 18yr old who misses half a season of rookie ball, shouldn't necessarily loss half a season of development due to that, as they will still have several seasons left before making it to 27.  Still has anyone come across hard data that supports lowered / reduced development after an injury (not in length of time, but in lowered totals)?
6/7/2011 12:45 PM
yeah, I don't know about the hard data on that one....I'm totally guessing that it isn't added on and simply lost.
6/7/2011 12:52 PM
It might be that it is built into the backround that when a player losses time, (its also playing time that is lost), then he never reaches full potential.  It might not be an aspect of only 4 years of development, but also that an injury effects the ability to develop at all.  Of course WiS might not have programmed that at all, but who knows.
6/7/2011 2:42 PM
Here's a test case for you to check in about a month.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Matty Paniagua

By my estimation, he should have topped out near 80.  Lost for almost 100 days and coming off the DL before the season ends.
6/7/2011 6:36 PM
12 Next ▸
Realistic Number of Injuries but with Better Recov Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.