Stop Post-Demotion Traumatic Stress Syndrome Topic

Another player permanently crippled of soul, after just one demotion "to get more playing time in AAA so he can... improve...." as the real baseball experts say.

Know any good psychiatrists?

Maybe a good pastor, for Brian?

A pitcher in Dirt is a terrible thing to waste.
6/5/2011 4:02 PM
So . . . we need more shiny, happy people?
6/5/2011 4:49 PM
One more time.

Without demotion penalties, some that are permanent, smart owners will use their 40 man roster as their 25 man roster.   I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. 
6/5/2011 6:37 PM
I swear, I'm still torn between "he's demented" and "he's one of the best aliases ever."

I can't decide.
6/5/2011 8:09 PM
One more time.

Real MLB GM's bring up players from AAA and even AA consistently, and then demote them consistently.  Some do it very often (just look at Jim Hendry and the Cubs for just one example, from season to season).  That works for them, or they would not do it.  This is a simulation, not an exercise in punishing WIS customers for doing what makes sense for their teams.

One more time.

I'm not against a demotion penalty.  I am for relatively rapiid recovery most of the time and continuance of progress in the minors (and in some cases even a compensating boost when a previously demoted player is called back up, especially ot the bigs).  That makes sense.  The current conditions do not.
6/5/2011 11:36 PM (edited)
Jim Hendry is not a good example of a GM to follow. Ever. I'd maintain his constant promoting/demoting is counter productive to prospect development.
6/6/2011 4:38 AM
One more time.

Without demotion penalties, some that are permanent, smart owners will use their 40 man roster as their 25 man roster.   I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. 

To placate you, and close this 4 year old issue you have, I'd say "Let them regain their lost ratings in two seasons if they're not over 27 when demoted" but I bet this wouldn't make you happy.

And using the Cubs as an example of how an organization should be run is funny.  
6/6/2011 6:56 AM
Well, the Pirates do it too. So there.
6/6/2011 8:43 AM
Well, at least they've won a title in my lifetime. 
6/6/2011 8:55 AM
And  the point is made and appeal delivered, despite the trollish obfuscation -- once again.
6/6/2011 2:06 PM (edited)
We apologize for asking for data.

From now on, we will take your word as the absolute truth, and never question it.
6/6/2011 8:59 PM
Presently, this guy is stuck in DL Limbo. He's healed up and ready to play, but it's just not wise to bring him back right now, arbitrarily enough.

Why?  Because, I want to keep in the bigs the guy I brought up when I DL'd Sherman.  And it's been a number of sim days since the last ratings tick so if I send someone down, I risk harming him permanently.  (And if I'd designate and demote, wow, even worse.)

That is not fun.  That is not simulating MLB.
6/11/2011 12:58 AM (edited)
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 6/11/2011 12:58:00 AM (view original):
Presently, this guy is stuck in DL Limbo. He's healed up and ready to play, but it's just not wise to bring him back right now, arbitrarily enough.

Why?  Because, I want to keep in the bigs the guy I brought up when I DL'd Sherman.  And it's been a number of sim days since the last ratings tick so if I send someone down, I risk harming him permanently.  (And if I'd designate and demote, wow, even worse.)

That is not fun.  That is not simulating MLB.
This choice does happen in MLB
6/11/2011 6:52 AM
It does suck to have to maintain a 25 man roster.  WifS should make it a 60 man roster so we're not forced to make decisions.
6/11/2011 9:03 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/5/2011 6:37:00 PM (view original):
One more time.

Theo Epstein regularly says that he thinks of his big league roster as the 40 man, not the 25 man.  

I've heard him say that at least a half-dozen times.

Not that that's the end of the discussion, but I don't really see the problem with using the whole 40 to get through the season.  Gives an advantage to those that think a little more deeply about their team.
6/13/2011 11:47 PM
123456 Next ▸
Stop Post-Demotion Traumatic Stress Syndrome Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.