Who is this clown? Topic

The NPV of a college degree is about $300k.  But, this includes cost of education.  Factor in the $100+k of free tuition, room, board books, etc. and the NPV is far, far higher since you're not starting off in the hole with loans. 

You trade away four years of your athletic performance for this.  Plus you get every possible resource available to help you get your degree.  If athletes don't want this, let them go do something else with their lives without a college degree.

6/8/2011 4:48 PM
As to the "school is making millions" argument and "it's so unfair to the athlete" argument:  Why aren't people more vociferous about graduate students?  They do more than 90% of the research work for grant writing.  They also receive far less in benefits than a scholarship athlete.  Yet the university makes billions (compared to the meager millions of the athletic departments) off of their work.  Where is the outcry?  

6/8/2011 4:59 PM
People also tend to forget that these guys get years of training, nutritional advise, medical coverage, and national exposure that greatly enhances their shot at earning top NFL dollars. Would Cam Newton have gone overall #1 without all of the cameras covering him for weeks and weeks? Sure, the schools make money, but these guys come out ahead in the end. They go through a lot of hard hours on the gridiron to get there, but handing them cash is laughable when they get so much already.
6/8/2011 5:11 PM
The schools are paying the students a scholarship that is worth as much as $30,000 a year for out of state athletes, as well as room and board that could be another $20,000.  I would say that 50K per year and a free college education IS paying the players.  It is paying them quite nicely in fact.

The SEC gave each school $18.3 million dollars as a payout for Football and Basketball ... that is NOT that much money. It certainly would not be much if you were trying to pay players.

Most schools are "state owned" ... and paying the players would come from tax payers.

If the schools were all private entities I would be all for playing players.  If "I" have to pay more taxes so the players can get paid ... well, they can just do it for free :D
6/8/2011 6:24 PM
The vast majority of football players are not ready for the NFL coming right out of high school and, in fact, most will never even make it to the pros.  Those that are the most likely to have a professional career are often offered scholarships to attend a college and learn their trade.  The fact that some schools can make back the value of their offered athletic scholarships and even make enough to fund other athletic and academic endeavors does not mean that players are entitled to anything.  A player's value is only as high as someone is willing to pay.  The NFL won't take them because they are perfectly happy with the NCAA handling their farm system.  And because football is a niche sport (in terms of worldwide appeal), there are no other avenues available (or value associated) to these athletes. 

The college system is setup so that everyone wins.  The NFL gets a better quality of rookies every year, the colleges get their money, and the players get their training/exposure and are more prepared for the NFL.  While they have every chance to get their big payday, who knows, they might even mess around and accidentally get a usable degree.  I don't agree with all the rules that are forced on student athletes (for instance, who cares if someone sells his conference championship rings for tattoos or money).  But as long as those rules are in place and the athletes have accepted the responsibilities of being a student at a college, I think they should have to abide by those rules.  If they can't abide those rules, they shouldn't accept the scholarship or go to that school.  And when they are caught breaking those rules, they deserve what they get.

There is no way that football players are going to get paid by the schools.  I believe we will get a playoff system before that ever happens.
6/8/2011 6:39 PM (edited)
Posted by grindi on 6/8/2011 6:42:00 (view original):
Hmmm, you would rather have colleges filled with atheltes that can't read or write getting free rides while bright kids can't go for lack of money? A portion of those atheletes will get a gazillion dollars because they can play a game and can't hold their own in a 2nd grade spelling bee, while quite possibly the Doctor that could save your childs' life, or the researcher that could find a cure for cancer for your grandmother, or the President that could straighten this country out, will never get the chance because they can't afford to go to school to learn. What's wrong with this picture? College atheletes get paid plenty without being greedy just by getting their tuition, books, lodging, and food.    Terrible Pryor is the worst thing that happened to OSU since Maurice Claret.  How's he looking now Tressel?  Cam Newton is nothing but a pervert and a criminal.  These are the guys you are championing.  These Colleges go out and kiss these kids' ***** and goodly percent of the recruits are felons.  College sports are AMATEUR Sports.  That means NO PAY FOR PLAY.

I still have to give Tressel his due.  He was a good coach.  For the most part his teams were well prepared.  He executed his gameplan. He had MANY athletesdrafted into the pros.  As a football coach he is very good.  As an upstanding man he is lacking.  I haven't liked him since he screwed over Beckman for Terrible Pryor.  He ruined a young mans' career who had led his team to a NC when they had no business being there to cater to Pryor and his father.  I think he is getting his come uppance.  Bully for the NCAA.
6/8/2011 7:32 PM
Also, if football players want to get paid, they can skip school and go the nfl, canada or the arena league.

Paying college football players is a terrible idea. It would get even more corrupt than it is now.
6/8/2011 7:38 PM
Posted by rmancil on 6/8/2011 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Funny it is ok for the coaches to make millions but nothing for the players.
Last time I checked, the coaches are employed by the school.....not participating in a sport at it.    Lets not forget that these players are officially called "student athletes".    They are supposedly going to this institution of higher learning for that purpose, not to be a paid athlete.  That is why they must be academically eligible to play their chosen sport, learning is supposed to be the goal!!  
For a player to be drafted by an NFL team they do NOT have to go to college, although they have to wait 3 years after they "graduate" high school.  If they do not want to attend college and deal with the rules, then don't!  
Here is my solution, give the student athlete two choices....
#1- Full ride scholarship and that's it....
#2- cash equivalent of full ride to do as he/her pleases but they are charged full rates just like every other student if they do not choose to use the money for tuition, books and such.....  that way they can have their dough, buy whatever they want, take out a student loan like everyone else and the ones that are so needy as everyone seems to point out will get extra money from FASFA because of their needs.  Then if they make it to the pro's they can repay their loans with no problem because they make millions!  
6/8/2011 7:42 PM
The answer to this will always be the same. They knew and accepted the rules when they agreed to play end of story.

As far as what they get besides a full free education, which BTW is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars perhaps even millions if they do not make it in the NFL . They get a chance to showcase their skills for future employment just like every other student who may not have a free ride even if they are one of the best students.

I do find it amusing that anyone would feel sorry for them at all.
6/8/2011 8:43 PM
Posted by slid64er on 6/8/2011 4:59:00 PM (view original):
As to the "school is making millions" argument and "it's so unfair to the athlete" argument:  Why aren't people more vociferous about graduate students?  They do more than 90% of the research work for grant writing.  They also receive far less in benefits than a scholarship athlete.  Yet the university makes billions (compared to the meager millions of the athletic departments) off of their work.  Where is the outcry?  

So professors get paid and the researchers get screwed OMG!!!!11!11!!!!one

slid64er's argument just exposes the terrible logic used by over half the people in this thread.
6/8/2011 9:16 PM
Quite a few topics to comment on. My background was as a DII soccer player at a non-scholarship school at the time Title IX came into being. Having to prove to the administration and compete with other men's sports programs on who could survive on 50% of the previous years funding to allow the budget to accomodate the new women's programs. Seeing other men's programs cut and male athletes having to decide to stay and not play or transfer schools to have a chance at their sport, while bare bones female athletics took over with about 1/3 the amount of participants. Needless to say - our football program was not able to provide for all of the sports.

This said - the distiction should be made to the level of competition. The select 1A programs who can field top football teams and in turn can support a large stadium, coaching staff and associated media, medical, training and commerical ventures (which we also must remember provides experiences for students in associated fields) is small compared to the total number of programs in the US . WIS uses over 600 teams (I know some don't play now and there are many schools not included) and the number of these schools which can provide extensive overflow funding to other sports is probably at 10%, mostly at the D1A level. D1AA and below make enough to run their programs but can't contribute significantly to the bottom line of the general athletics budget, much less pay athletes to play. These players also are under no illusion they will see a NFL payoff after their collegiate days are done.

So the 3000 or so football athletes playing at the D1A programs play for the following reasons: 1) they played at a high level in their past and wish to continue at that level, 2) they have had the dream of playing at one of top schools (Rudy?) 3) they think that they may have the chance to be in the top 100 to 200 college players per year that can have a shot to play in the NFL and want more exposure or 4) (most likely, as if they can play D1A - they could play DIII) D1A can offer them the full ride + perks scholarship that the lower division schools cannot offer.

The players in the spotlight of this debate have also seemed to be the annointed star of each prominant sports seasons recruiting or conference who could garner attention from many schools and uses that to their advantage. These players and the alleged accomplices of alumni, coaches and parents (come on, Cam - you knew! and Reggie - didn't you wonder how Mom got that great house?) disgrace the rest of the players and places this entire debate in front of amatuer/college sports. I haven't heard in the media about the hot lacrosse prospect getting numerous tricked out Humvees to drive around town.

The NCAA has exacerbated the ruckus by not being able to recognize the pressures placed on todays 18 yo HS super-star children suddenly given the run of the toy store, especially in those top 60 schools, and have no specific moral obligation to be 'Amatuer'. It would seem that a system of accountability for any school who wishes to go above and beyond would be more logical and modern. Accurately list all financial benefits the athlete has received ($$$, cars, trips, etc) and place a cap on the total spending based on a yearly formula approved by all the schools who wish to participate, a super NCAA if you wish. Exceeding this cap would not cause moral recriminations for the program, coaches or players, but significant financial penalties. School roster size would be set, like the NFL, and, perhaps, be liable for a decrease if graduation goals are not met. Teams who don't wish to participate in this program would continue in another division and follow current rules. Other sports at that school could remain independent of this agreement if the school wishes. This may be a benefit for the future as when the day comes that financial aspects of sports indicate that being a member of the NCAA is not in the interest of the school or schools, they may decide to secede and form a league outside the NCAA and abandon all other sports. The NCAA has stated that the BCS is not part of the NCAA and they cannot control how it is arranged (but they listen to it for NC awards). An independent league is not too far away if the money is right.
6/8/2011 9:43 PM
Posted by potter444 on 6/8/2011 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by trobone on 6/8/2011 4:15:00 AM (view original):
if the kids want to get paid they have that chance. go to europe or canada and sign on with a team. If Pryor wanted money, he could have had it. But he wanted his cake and to eat it too, and he can't have that. If he wanted to stay in the USA and go to OSU, then he knew the rules. If he wanted the money, he had the chances.

they get paid stipends, books, education, travel, clothing, food, etc... in all athletes get paid tens of thousands of dollars a year without any marketable skills except being good at a high school sports. In essence they are raking it in when more deserving 18 year old are doing much more and getting absolutely nothing.

jamal charles signed his contract, if he doesn't like it, that's his problem. he should have signed a shorter one then.
Without any marketable skills except being good at high school sports?  That marketable skill is what schools, conferences, the BCS, bowls, ESPN/ABC and the NCAA use to sell their product and make huge profits.  

no, the BCS is based off players who are good at college sports.

incoming freshmen have not proved anything.

REPEAT AFTER ME, COLLEGE PLAYERS ALREADY GET PAID. TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A YEAR FOR PLAYING A GAME AND GOING TO CLASS. IF THEY WANT MORE MONEY, THEY HAVE OPTIONS OTHER THAN CLOSING DOWN EVERY SPORT BUT FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL.
6/9/2011 4:45 AM
One other thought on this subject then I am going to dismiss this thread from my mind...
Professional sports are filled with young men (I say men only because mens pro sports are where the money is) in their early 20's who are overwhelmed by sudden wealth, constant adulation and scrutiny, as well as huge responsibilities. Some crumble under the weight of it, others end up ******* away their new found wealth. We all constantly hear about the former pro athlete who is homeless and selling off his super bowl ring, got caught running some kind of scam or arrested for robbery.. Does anyone honestly believe that providing mass amounts of money to these same athletes at an even younger age is a good idea? I mean... really?
6/9/2011 10:49 AM
Hey Mark, you're in the new EA sports game!  How much did you make off that!?

Nothing, I was already compensated in the form of an overvalued scholarship.

Well, at least you got to play and wear that awesome Under Armour logo! 

Yah it was really nice of them to use me to promote their product like that. 
6/9/2011 10:57 AM
Posted by maddog63 on 6/9/2011 10:49:00 AM (view original):
One other thought on this subject then I am going to dismiss this thread from my mind...
Professional sports are filled with young men (I say men only because mens pro sports are where the money is) in their early 20's who are overwhelmed by sudden wealth, constant adulation and scrutiny, as well as huge responsibilities. Some crumble under the weight of it, others end up ******* away their new found wealth. We all constantly hear about the former pro athlete who is homeless and selling off his super bowl ring, got caught running some kind of scam or arrested for robbery.. Does anyone honestly believe that providing mass amounts of money to these same athletes at an even younger age is a good idea? I mean... really?
Great point.  Let's not these young whipper snappers have a piece of the football money because they would just blow it on.....Wait this just in.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/03/29/fiesta-bowl-junker/index.html

Listen, the world wouldn't fall apart if a business wanted to have a college athlete get paid for a commerical, sponsoring a product or doing public appearances and getting paid for some autographs.  I find it funny that people treat this as some moral issue rather than questioning the underlying rules.  Major college football and basketball are businesses.  The players are labor.   
6/9/2011 11:55 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...12 Next ▸
Who is this clown? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.